Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 06:22 PM

4 posts, read 13,293 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm new and could really use some help.

My husband and I put up a new fence, that shares a space with our neighbor about 2 years ago. We didn't ask the neighbor to help pay for the fence, but we did ask them to not water the fence when they water their garden, because it can wear the fence down fast.

Every year during this time, we have to ask them to not water the fence. The water even goes over the fence, into our pool and on to our table and chairs. Everytime we have company over, they have to get up before the water hits them and I don't think that's fair to my company in my backyard. They act as if they don't care what we say, and just do it anyway.

We are trying to be good neighbors, but this is really starting to become a problem with them.

I could really use some answers before my husband goes off and then we have a war with our neighbors.

Please help me!

Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 06:34 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,705,479 times
Watering into your yard when you have guests, or just before, is not being very neighborly but not watering your fence? What do you do when it rains, ask the almighty not to get your fence wet? Why don't you simply put a seal on the fence and not worry about the water?

Old 07-22-2010, 06:44 PM

654 posts, read 2,120,527 times
I agree with Gpsma, the watering of the fence is a battle you will not win. As for watering your side of the yard is not nice. My neighbors front sprinkler waters my side yard but I do not mind because it keeps my laen healthy BUT it does not wet any chairs or cars. No big deal. They just put sprinklers in the back. My dog came in all wet but it was not raining. I saw that the speinkler system was throwing a lot of water on my side. About a week later the speinkler guy came back and fixed it. I guess my neighbor noticed it too. I am glad I did not have to say anything. If my dog wasn't coming in wet I really wouldn't care. What does your neighbor say when you tell him the sprinkler waters your pool and company????

Old 07-22-2010, 06:56 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,108,834 times
I don't think you can ask them to NOT get water on your fence (their side). But the rest of it, you have a point. However, it doesn't sound like they care and I don't see how you can win this battle I hate to tell you.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Watering into your yard when you have guests, or just before, is not being very neighborly but not watering your fence? What do you do when it rains, ask the almighty not to get your fence wet? Why don't you simply put a seal on the fence and not worry about the water?
Thank you for your response. It's not the point of getting the fence wet, but going over the fence onto my property that's the problem. Rain water doesn't wear and tear on a fence as fast as putting direct water on it does. There is a seal on the fence fyi.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnSells View Post
I agree with Gpsma, the watering of the fence is a battle you will not win. As for watering your side of the yard is not nice. My neighbors front sprinkler waters my side yard but I do not mind because it keeps my laen healthy BUT it does not wet any chairs or cars. No big deal. They just put sprinklers in the back. My dog came in all wet but it was not raining. I saw that the speinkler system was throwing a lot of water on my side. About a week later the speinkler guy came back and fixed it. I guess my neighbor noticed it too. I am glad I did not have to say anything. If my dog wasn't coming in wet I really wouldn't care.
Quote:
What does your neighbor say when you tell him the sprinkler waters your pool and company?
???
They say that they will stop watering over the fence, but they don't stop.

Thank you for your advice...I won't be coming back onto this forum though...I think I will just go to the town to see if there is anything we can do.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
I don't think you can ask them to NOT get water on your fence (their side). But the rest of it, you have a point. However, it doesn't sound like they care and I don't see how you can win this battle I hate to tell you.
Thank you for your post.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:29 PM

654 posts, read 2,120,527 times
Aw Jacqui46, don't dump the forum because of a stupid remark. We have a lot of fun here and usually receive a lot of good advice along the way. BTW.. What town do you live in. SOme have the town codes on line. I would be interested to know what your town will tell you. You can also trying giving you neighbor a squirt or two when he is in the backyard. He'll get the hint.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:08 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqui46 View Post
Hi, I'm new and could really use some help.

My husband and I put up a new fence, that shares a space with our neighbor about 2 years ago. We didn't ask the neighbor to help pay for the fence, but we did ask them to not water the fence when they water their garden, because it can wear the fence down fast.

Every year during this time, we have to ask them to not water the fence. The water even goes over the fence, into our pool and on to our table and chairs. Everytime we have company over, they have to get up before the water hits them and I don't think that's fair to my company in my backyard. They act as if they don't care what we say, and just do it anyway.

We are trying to be good neighbors, but this is really starting to become a problem with them.

I could really use some answers before my husband goes off and then we have a war with our neighbors.

Please help me!

Thanks in advance.

If my neighbor put up a fence and asked me to pay for part of it, I would be appalled. You made the decision to erect the fence, you bore the expense as it should be.

You've put a seal on the fence (all sides?) and now are concerned about a sprinkler hitting it. Rain, wind, and sun exposure 365 days a year do much more harm than a sprinkler a few dozen times in the nice weather.

You stated the the neighbor doesn't appear to care about the direction the water is taking. Out of curiosity, did you speak with them about the fence before you erected it or did you move forward on it without speaking with them?

Does you neighbor have inground sprinklers, or are they placing a sprinkler where they feel it's needed?

Have you approached the neighbor a day before a gathering and explained that you're having some company over and if they wouldn't mind, would they kindly hold off watering?

There's something more to this than a sprinkler and a fence. I would wager that somewhere along the line, someone's toes were stepped on.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:18 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,108,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
There's something more to this than a sprinkler and a fence. I would wager that somewhere along the line, someone's toes were stepped on.
I usually agree with you but I don't agree with this.

Unfortunately what I have personally encountered is that "old timers" or anyone who lived there before you did often have no regard for newer incoming neighbors. Sort of "I was here first" mentality. I feel that may be the issue here but who knows? There are always two sides to every story.
I do think it probably got started off on the wrong foot asking them to not get water on the fence that faces them. So now they won't accomodate the OP in any way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island