Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 09:24 AM

748 posts, read 2,887,208 times

Advertisements

I heard that Orly's treehouse ( Westbury address, but in the Hamlet of Jericho) has closed. Anyone know if it is permanent or for renovation?

Too bad. I really liked this place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 10:51 AM
grant516

n/a posts

... I couldn't resist.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:11 PM

184 posts, read 805,680 times
I doubt renovations as the place has only been open a couple of years but who knows.

edit...Just saw a thread another forum, place is out of business.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:24 PM

654 posts, read 2,119,738 times
I had been there a few times with my nephew; he loved it! I always thought that it was in a very odd spot. Did you try the place in Plainview right off the LIE? It is called Once Upon a Tree Top. I haven't been there in a while but my nephew loved it. It is a little town and then there is a hug climber in the back.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:26 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,970,654 times
I used to teach a little girl named Orly.

I laughed.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:47 AM

87 posts, read 270,374 times
I was sad to discover 105 Harbor in Cold Spring Closed..

Even Nick and Charley's in Williston Park was sad to see go.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:14 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,103,496 times
LI seems to be a very difficult market for restaurants of all types from McDonald's to fine dining like Teller's.

I suspect it has alot to due to our level of taxation and the cost of utilities.

Hopefully one day we the people of Long Island can restore some common sense and allow businesses and industries to flourish instead of chasing them away with taxes and ever increasing utility payments.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:24 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
LI seems to be a very difficult market for restaurants of all types from McDonald's to fine dining like Teller's.

I suspect it has alot to due to our level of taxation and the cost of utilities.

Hopefully one day we the people of Long Island can restore some common sense and allow businesses and industries to flourish instead of chasing them away with taxes and ever increasing utility payments.
the restaurant business is simply very risky. Even in a strong economy, opening and sustaining a restaurant is extremely difficult.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:53 AM

748 posts, read 2,887,208 times
Orly's tree house is not a restaurant, its just a place for children to hang out and take classes, etc. Their birthday parties were fantastic, I really was hoping for another birthday party for my kid there. Oh well.. with all the foreclosures and other closing of stores happening around, I guess I should not be surprised.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:46 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,996,290 times
Yes, Orly's is not a restaurant. It's a unique concept with a big play area for kids, activities for kids (a cooking room, gymnastics room, others) but also had a gym and upscale salon for adults. Memberships were expensive and it seemed that except for the birthday parties (lots of competition there), it was designed for rich Mom's or rich Mom's nannies to take the pre-school kids during the day. My wife and I said it's a good concept but imagined the costs for such a giant space, plus insurance plus the salon must have been an enormous overhead. Maybe they just couldn't sustain. Too bad, it's definitely another sign of the times. The place was so much more interesting than the inflatable "bouncers and sliders" type places which are springing up like weeds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: