Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 01:24 PM

294 posts, read 743,796 times

Advertisements

We're in the middle of a hot summer and usually the sound of crickets is loud and persistent. I only hear a few, and they sound the way crickets do in late September...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 01:27 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,345,145 times
It's too early for crickets. The Cicada's are probably drowning them out anyway.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:32 PM

294 posts, read 743,796 times
Oops, I mean the cicadas. I don't hear them like I usually do

Old 07-28-2010, 02:25 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,888 times
You should stop by my house, then.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:28 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,341,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterhead View Post
We're in the middle of a hot summer and usually the sound of crickets is loud and persistent. I only hear a few, and they sound the way crickets do in late September...
If you like, I'll put one in your bedroom.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:19 PM

570 posts, read 1,215,208 times
They're all around the place by us!
In fact, we even have those most annoying and grass-destroying cicada killers. They're big and come right after you when you walk outside. I swear these bugs fly right up to you and stare at you like they're going to attack, then fly around a big circle and come right back to you. Weird.

I've killed a few, when they sit still long enough on the front path. But it takes more than a shoe to kill them! The holes in my lawn from these things are ruining it - piles of dirt all over the place. Since we don't have the correct chemical to kill them, it's apparently hard for a homeowner to buy, I've been using Drano down the holes then pushing the dirt back over it. The buggers go and dig a new hole!

Old 07-28-2010, 03:40 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CatMom View Post
They're all around the place by us!
In fact, we even have those most annoying and grass-destroying cicada killers. They're big and come right after you when you walk outside. I swear these bugs fly right up to you and stare at you like they're going to attack, then fly around a big circle and come right back to you. Weird.

I've killed a few, when they sit still long enough on the front path. But it takes more than a shoe to kill them! The holes in my lawn from these things are ruining it - piles of dirt all over the place. Since we don't have the correct chemical to kill them, it's apparently hard for a homeowner to buy, I've been using Drano down the holes then pushing the dirt back over it. The buggers go and dig a new hole!
This isn't serious is it?

They dig out of the ground not into it.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:14 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,280,851 times
It's strange ; I do not think that there is even one cricket (well, other than Jiminy) in California. We don't have lightening bugs either. I'm sure that there's a biological reason, but I don't know what it is.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-28-2010, 09:51 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
They're in Rocky Point.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:29 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
It's strange ; I do not think that there is even one cricket (well, other than Jiminy) in California. We don't have lightening bugs either. I'm sure that there's a biological reason, but I don't know what it is.
A long while ago I had read that lightning bugs exist east of the Mississippi or the Rockies...fuzzy on the western boundary.

After digging around I found this site:

About Firefly Habitats and Where You Can Find Fireflies Living - Firefly.org

Quote:
Fireflies love humid, warm environments. In the U.S., almost no species of fireflies are found west of Kansas—although there are also warm and humid areas to the west. Nobody is sure why this is. There are many species of fireflies throughout the world, and the most diversity in species is found in tropical Asia as well as Central and South America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island