Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 01:37 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,829,717 times

Advertisements

I am not sure about the hearing device ; I jsut know that it took the district almost a full school year to provide the child with an ampliying device so he could hear the teacher and that it had to be compatible with the one that another child used.

If every single child had to pay $25 per registration, and then had that money go only to functions at that school it may help. Yes, it maybe out in left field, but it is a disgrace that in a nation so wonderful as this, we cannot get a decent education without paying thru the nose for it.
As a parent with two in parochial school, there is very little waste in this school, education is very good, respect and discipline are there ; nothing like when we went to school, and the kids come in wanting to learn and wanting to excel. Administration is at a basic standard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 01:55 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,482,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Are they receiving the OT/PT and psych specifically because of autism or because of other symptoms? For example, some kids with autism also have physical disabilities or mental retardation.

It's not and I don't know much about why they do it, but I believe it has something to do with school districts being mandated by the courts to provide an "equal" education to all kids, including those with special needs, so in order to do that, often the kids with special needs have to be accommodated with more services. Anybody else who knows more, feel free to chime in.
Doesn't matter why they were getting it, its a medical treatment. Now if schools wanted to enable medical persons to privately come to school to have time with the kids, thats one thing. Having tax money for schools for these medical needs is another.

"equal education" does not mean that my tax dollars should be going towards "medical needs". Thats what insurance is for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
I am not sure about the hearing device ; I jsut know that it took the district almost a full school year to provide the child with an ampliying device so he could hear the teacher and that it had to be compatible with the one that another child used.

If every single child had to pay $25 per registration, and then had that money go only to functions at that school it may help. Yes, it maybe out in left field, but it is a disgrace that in a nation so wonderful as this, we cannot get a decent education without paying thru the nose for it.
As a parent with two in parochial school, there is very little waste in this school, education is very good, respect and discipline are there ; nothing like when we went to school, and the kids come in wanting to learn and wanting to excel. Administration is at a basic standard.
Schools are now responsible for hearing aids. No. Sorry.

As far as paying through the nose, we pay a heck of a lot more then most places who provide more then ample education. NYC doesn't pay out the nose for its teachers, their salaries are significantly less then LI's, yet they have top tier special schools taught by those same lower-paid teachers. So much for the whole "need to pay a high salary to get good results".

Old 09-08-2010, 07:21 AM

2,630 posts, read 5,010,016 times
Hate to play devil's advocate, but in most businesses, the bulk of the expenditure goes to salaries and benefits. It's nice to bash the system (which is a mess), but at least let's deal in reality and not intentionally mislead. If anything, it's the Administrators in every district that are grossly overpaid and over-perked.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:17 AM

294 posts, read 611,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Hate to play devil's advocate, but in most businesses, the bulk of the expenditure goes to salaries and benefits. It's nice to bash the system (which is a mess), but at least let's deal in reality and not intentionally mislead. If anything, it's the Administrators in every district that are grossly overpaid and over-perked.
No doubt about that, but you have the law of large numbers working with the teachers - far more of them than admins.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:26 AM

152 posts, read 400,840 times
Quote:
You are right...there are too many administrators, they get paid too much and only work about 30 days more than the teachers 182 to 185 days.

Having said that they are a drop in the budget bucket when compared to teachers salaries, teachers benefits & teachers pension costs. That eats up about 75% of most school budgets. So until that's addressed the rest is a complete waste of time and done to make it seem like something's being done.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:05 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,804,491 times
Quote:
...and the taxpayers over-plucked!

Old 09-08-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Admin and teachers get the same perks, no? The entirety of the employees as a whole are completely overpaid and overperked compared to medians of the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHP Guy View Post
No doubt about that, but you have the law of large numbers working with the teachers - far more of them than admins.
Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
...and the taxpayers over-plucked!
Exactly. You raise the prices of your cupcakes too high and pretty soon your cupcake store is out of business because no one can afford the goods.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:07 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,843,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Insurance can cover different things. I myself hold medical, dental, and vision even though I never used the vision and rarely hit the dentist.

Autism, hard to follow you on that. Plenty of kids that I've worked with were "autistic spectrum" and have recieved anything from OT/PT to psych treatment.

Either way, its not within the confines of the educational institution to treat these diseases, thats for medical professionals. School didn't become a second insurance policy for kids.
This is the center of the entire matter. Kids who aren't capable of working on grade level, behaving at grade level appropriateness should be in special classes. Now, it is all "least restrictive environment". No matter that even 2-3 kids mainsteamed kids can wreak havoc in a class -- the bright kids pull through, the special kids pull through ( will all the pull outs and assorted help and especially the fact I have seen IEPs which state you cannot grade some kids other than Pass/Fail -- might damage their psychological makeup) -- Who loses? The average, ordinary middle-of-the-road kid who no longer gets the teacher's attention.

I am not anti special ed; I am against the parents who push mainstreaming for their children -- at the expense of others. If a child can function in a regular class with a disability they should be there (I had many who had physical, but not mental or behavioral problems and those kids worked harder than many regular kids). If they are a serious problem detrimental to the class, they should be elsewhere.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
This is the center of the entire matter. Kids who aren't capable of working on grade level, behaving at grade level appropriateness should be in special classes. Now, it is all "least restrictive environment". No matter that even 2-3 kids mainsteamed kids can wreak havoc in a class -- the bright kids pull through, the special kids pull through ( will all the pull outs and assorted help and especially the fact I have seen IEPs which state you cannot grade some kids other than Pass/Fail -- might damage their psychological makeup) -- Who loses? The average, ordinary middle-of-the-road kid who no longer gets the teacher's attention.

I am not anti special ed; I am against the parents who push mainstreaming for their children -- at the expense of others. If a child can function in a regular class with a disability they should be there (I had many who had physical, but not mental or behavioral problems and those kids worked harder than many regular kids). If they are a serious problem detrimental to the class, they should be elsewhere.
Exactly! Middle-range students are already second class citizens of the educational world.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:48 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,843,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Exactly! Middle-range students are already second class citizens of the educational world.
And it will only get worse as illegals fill up more schools. [Legal immigrants are wonderful -- they come prepared to learn and often weren't given the opportunity in their home country; I had kids from all over the world in the 29 years I taught].

However, the best kids I ever taught were the normal average everyday kids [mostly from blue collar families: parents respected education and saw a need for it and showed up to keep an eye on the kid's progress]. The worst I ever saw? I taught several local politician's kids [ they were arrogant and the parents were worse. ]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: