Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 11:01 AM

721 posts, read 1,567,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I agree with this. You may like to ski, but unless you don't work, how much skiing are you really going to do? I went to school outside Albany and a lot of my friends did a fair amount of skiing because it's close to Vermont, but college students have a lot more free time than the average Joe. And Albany IS gray, all winter long. And it snows almost constantly. It's not like LI where you get a big snowstorm and then that's it for weeks - it snows and snows up there. It may not accumulate every time, but it comes down on a regular basis. It gets cold at night starting in September and doesn't warm up till April. As much as you hate the heat in the south, the winter will be just as bad in upstate NY. If you disllike extreme climates, you'll just be trading one for another.
Can't agree with this more. I've lived in an extremely cold climate and it is something you have to go into with your eyes open. I'm an avid winter sports person too. Capital region is gray all winter long. twingles is dead on- it is cold from Oct to April. My husband almost took a job up in VT but I'm so glad he didn't. I would have been ok, but he went to college upstate, hates the cold and he would have been miserable. I have a couple of friends who have moved in and out of the Capital area. The only one who stayed had a good job that she brought from NYC.

Area around Mahopac is nice. Commute is a bit long in my eyes, but if you don't mind then I think it's beautiful. Not so isolated as upstate and farther north.

Good luck finding a place that you like!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 11:59 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,246,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Same thing at Binghamton, cold and snowy. One time heading back to school in March, I took the New Jersey/PA route. The trip was fine from the island til the edge of the Poconos, mostly rain and or light snow. When I made it to Moscow, Pa it turned into a blizzard and never let up through the entire trip to Binghamton, an extra 3 hours. When I made it to my dorm I called my mother and asked her how much snow they received in Hauppauge. She told me no accumulations, just light snow.
I had the same thing happen to me on my way up to Binghamton in the 90's. Rain on LI and by the time I reached the PA border it was pretty crazy. It took me 8 hours instead of 4 in my Honda CRX! I think this happened in 1993?

I was at Binghamton for 2 years and the snowfall totals were 192" and 163" inches! From late October until mid April the ground was covered with snow both years. Definitely more gray than LI but the fall and spring were great.

Old 09-13-2010, 04:32 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,770,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
I was surprised at this too...we take our kids into the city 2-3 times a month and our neighbors think we are nuts!

I wish more families from Long Island were like you. When my parents moved out here the only time I went to the city was to visit cousins who still lived in Greenpoint. I never had the fortune of taking in the culture of the city as a kid.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:14 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,591,010 times
I would never consider moving back to the Island of Long. Like being stuck in a toilet that nobody can flush, only way to escape back to Americas is to srawk through the city, traffic choked on all roads everyday, who needs it?

Old 09-15-2010, 04:57 AM

79 posts, read 263,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
If your main complaint on a place is people being slightly two-faced, and parks not having sidewalks- I'd probably stick it out if I were you.

Your posts make you sound indecisive, and that's not an awful thing- but with the cost of moving and how much it can drag on the family life- as long as everyone is working in NC, I say stick out the storm a little while longer.

I'm glad to see though you are one of the few posters who remembers -why- you left LI in the first place and will address/admit that those things have not yet changed for the better.
Those 2 complaints you quoted are just 2 small examples of a much larger state of mind down here, you could find 2 small examples like that anywhere in the world. The problem is the much larger way of thinking here that I am not in tune with. Most people move here and love it, I thought I would too but the fact is I don't. I am not "blaming" NC, but I am not prepared to live here long term, I found out what the differences were and I choose NY.

We are indecisive so I am GLAD that my posts make me sound that way, that's why I am asking for different people's opinions on City-Data. We know we want to move back to the N.E. the question is where, when and how. We have other people to think about in this process, my MIL moved down here and LOVES it here, but if we move she has no support system in place, we have no other family down here, she is single, retired and ageing. My son will start H.S. next year so I hate to start him over again, but if we wait for him to finish then we have our daughter coming up right behind him.

If we don't move in the next year or so I feel we will be trapped down here for good because our kids will be planting roots here. So that is our dilemma. Thanks for all of the help, advice and suggestions, my wife and I have been able to discuss several things that wouldn't have come to mind with out reading through these posts.....Thank-You.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:28 AM

149 posts, read 275,498 times
We moved to Waxhaw, NC for my husband's job four years ago from where else- Long Island. My husband LOVED it- I mean LOVED it. The kids and I ....not so much- we missed Long Island and I for one didn't want to leave LI in the first place but was convinced due to the cheaper bang for the buck thing and the "GREAT SCHOOL" ratings which I didn't find to be true down in NC.

About a year and a half ago my husband got laid off and got lucky enough to get a job in record time but in NJ. So we put our home up for sale and again were lucky enough to sell pretty quick considering the economy. So here we are in a beautiful part of North Jersey with incredible schools, scenery that is breathtaking...but boy is it expensive. We bought a townhome about 50 minutes from NYC- nothing crazy, just a townhome for 322,000 and it is difficult to come back- again I'm really happy to be back north but all I'm saying is buy something very cheap in a good area - if you can find it. Moving cost and all associated fees are a killer.

We too had my mother moved right along with us to NC- even though I told her don't do it-lol. She has her my brother with her though and is looking to move somewhere else.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island