Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 03:16 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
I'll go out on a limb and speculate that you've never been shot at by an armed bad guy. Come back and talk to me after you have. Maybe you'll think twice about making such moronic comments.

Army. We were paid something to the tune of 2100 a month.

Quote:
I'll go out on a limb and speculate that you've never been shot at by an armed bad guy.
Apparently, the vast majority of Nassau and Suffolk PO's can also say they've never been shot at:

Suffolk County Police Department (New York) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

22 over a 50 year period have died in the line of duty (SCPD founded Jan 1st 1960). How many have been officers in the past and present? You're really going to say these people have dangerous jobs? Thats hilarious!

And of those 22 only eight have died via actual assault-it seems heart attacks, accidents, and strokes killed more.

Nassau County Police Department - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
In the history of the Nassau County Police Department, 29 police officers died in the line of duty.[1]
The NCPD was founded even earlier, in 1925, so they have even fewer fatalities than the SCPD when adjusted for time. They dont say how theirs died either, probably most via heart attacks or accidents like the SCPD, both statistics reinforce my claim they're overpaid and face no real risk on a daily basis.

Yeah, NCPD and SCPD cops really put their lives on the line to be overpaid . Cab drivers have more dangerous jobs.

In a sane society NYCPD cops would get the ridiculous pay (since they actually are subject to harm) and the LI cops would get the peanuts.

I'll go out on a limb and speculate you've never heard of things like "fact checking", "statistics", or "probability". Come back and talk to me after you have. Maybe you'll think twice about making such moronic comments.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:47 PM

939 posts, read 1,845,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post

Apparently, the vast majority of Nassau and Suffolk PO's can also say they've never been shot at:

Suffolk County Police Department (New York) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

22 over a 50 year period have died in the line of duty (SCPD founded Jan 1st 1960). How many have been officers in the past and present? You're really going to say these people have dangerous jobs? Thats hilarious!

And of those 22 only eight have died via actual assault-it seems heart attacks, accidents, and strokes killed more.

Nassau County Police Department - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The NCPD was founded even earlier, in 1925, so they have even fewer fatalities than the SCPD when adjusted for time. They dont say how theirs died either, probably most via heart attacks or accidents like the SCPD, both statistics reinforce my claim they're overpaid and face no real risk on a daily basis.

Yeah, NCPD and SCPD cops really put their lives on the line to be overpaid . Cab drivers have more dangerous jobs.

In a sane society NYCPD cops would get the ridiculous pay (since they actually are subject to harm) and the LI cops would get the peanuts.

I'll go out on a limb and speculate you've never heard of things like "fact checking", "statistics", or "probability". Come back and talk to me after you have. Maybe you'll think twice about making such moronic comments.
Actually, I'll match three decades of police service against your "facts", "statistics" and "probability." Walk a mile in my shoes before you start shooting your mouth off.

Your comments, while actually more stupid than moronic, also display a high degree of animosity toward police. Your credibility, therefore, is non-existent.

By the way, you might want to fact-check NYPD salaries. You'll find that they're comparable to Nassau and Suffolk. And while you're at it, why not stick to commenting on Westchester government issues (that is, apparently, where you're from) ... that's Westchester, the highest taxed county in the country.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:44 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Thank you for your service!

Old 09-29-2010, 05:59 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,218 times
Quote:
Actually, I'll match three decades of police service against your "facts", "statistics" and "probability." Walk a mile in my shoes before you start shooting your mouth off.

Your comments, while actually more stupid than moronic, also display a high degree of animosity toward police. Your credibility, therefore, is non-existent.

By the way, you might want to fact-check NYPD salaries. You'll find that they're comparable to Nassau and Suffolk. And while you're at it, why not stick to commenting on Westchester government issues (that is, apparently, where you're from) ... that's Westchester, the highest taxed county in the country.
Great post and I wholeheartedly agree Moderator cut: snip

Last edited by Keeper; 09-30-2010 at 06:46 AM..

Old 09-29-2010, 06:22 PM

57,291 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:

By the way, you might want to fact-check NYPD salaries. You'll find that they're comparable to Nassau and Suffolk. .
So why are all the NYPD applying to the NCPD and not the other way around. I would love to see the numbers to behind that statement.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:39 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,500,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Oh, you read that article too today?

So you know Nassau is #2 and it's not a distant #2 by any means; more like we are breathing down Westchester's neck.

Median Property Taxes Paid in 2009

Westchester = $9,044
Nassau = $8,940

The difference? $104. Wow! Huge! I know, I know. Shouldn't bring that up. Those who would be and have nothing special if it weren't for extremely high real estate taxes funding their livelihood are desperate to keep the sheeple paying for it in the dark.
School taxes are 70% of your bill. Police and ems service is 7%.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:43 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,500,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
So why are all the NYPD applying to the NCPD and not the other way around. I would love to see the numbers to behind that statement.
Because its a better job. The Nypd treats their officers like slaves for 20 years and will fire you or take away your pension, benefits, freedom in one second if given the chance.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post
School taxes are 70% of your bill. Police and ems service is 7%.
I know.

And that's why when you break down my total complaining about Long Island property taxes (100%), less than 10% consists of complaining about the police unions and over 90% is complaining about the teachers' unions (and the supervisors and administrators who piggyback off union contracts and use that as an excuse to compensate themselves like rock stars).

Old 09-30-2010, 12:19 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
You know me and my sweeping statements ...

Okay, even *I* don't fully believe that when it comes to why the public employee unions were started and don't fully believe that of ALL public employee unions.
Ah, but many people do. Many people can't tell a cop from a dep from a CO from a trooper from the park police, either.

Quote:
But you already know the ones I do believe are intent on destroying the taxpayers for their own gain.

As for "not every civil servant is rolling in dough" ... yes, I do know that because I have perused the test announcements and job listings in the past and many had sub-par salaries and I wonder if they look at a few unions just like I do ... with disgust and disbelief that people can greedily and blindly go on killing the golden goose. Haven't they learned ANYTHING from what happened to the greedy autoworkers' unions? Do they really think that just because that was a private industry and they are relying on the public's tax money for everything that they will just keep getting more and more with no end in sight?
I get the sense they just want to be left alone to their own duties, divisions, and departments. They have their own issues and politics to work out. I certainly don't hear any rivalry or animosity. I'm not saying it doesn't exist at all. Obviously one look at Schwartz will tell you it does. Just that all the folks I know get along.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
And while you're at it, why not stick to commenting on Westchester government issues (that is, apparently, where you're from) ... that's Westchester, the highest taxed county in the country.
So you know Nassau is #2 and it's not a distant #2 by any means; more like we are breathing down Westchester's neck.

Median Property Taxes Paid in 2009

Westchester = $9,044
Nassau = $8,940

The difference? $104. Wow! Huge! I know, I know. Shouldn't bring that up. Those who would be and have nothing special if it weren't for extremely high real estate taxes funding their livelihood are desperate to keep the sheeple paying for it in the dark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island