Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 03:32 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAndyHolbrook View Post
Bottom line is ,like it or not..........anyone who did not commit a felony or serious misdemeanor(DWI)and within the age limit could have taken anyone of the civil service exams. Its all jealousy.......And thank you all of you for supporting my pension...............
Jealousy? It is taxpayers highlighting an excessive abuse of their money in this instance.

And let's please put all of these skewed sick time perspectives to bed. Sick time is for when you are actively employed. That is it. Otherwise it is not sick time. If you are going to instead apply it in this carry-over fashion then it is a ridiculously abusive (based on this labor contract) delayed bonus plan. If it was called that during contract negotiations I wonder how supported it would be...And spare me the rhetoric about people dramatically pulling themselves into work and unleashing a plague on some poor precinct if sick time were capped. If that is truly your overly-dramatic concern, there is not to say there can not be more extensive sick day plans that do NOT carry over and accrue. 30 days a year for a cop, without carry over would not be sufficient?? And no payout? I think that is quite generous actually. For some reason 99.5% of the rest of the country can staff up and maintain a police force without these abuses, but we couldn't field a component public service organization? Ok....

* the .5% is suffolk county...

Old 09-16-2010, 03:59 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
Jealousy? It is taxpayers highlighting an excessive abuse of their money in this instance.

And let's please put all of these skewed sick time perspectives to bed. Sick time is for when you are actively employed. That is it. Otherwise it is not sick time. If you are going to instead apply it in this carry-over fashion then it is a ridiculously abusive (based on this labor contract) delayed bonus plan. If it was called that during contract negotiations I wonder how supported it would be...And spare me the rhetoric about people dramatically pulling themselves into work and unleashing a plague on some poor precinct if sick time were capped. If that is truly your overly-dramatic concern, there is not to say there can not be more extensive sick day plans that do NOT carry over and accrue. 30 days a year for a cop, without carry over would not be sufficient?? And no payout? I think that is quite generous actually. For some reason 99.5% of the rest of the country can staff up and maintain a police force without these abuses, but we couldn't field a component public service organization? Ok....

* the .5% is suffolk county...

Agreed Look I'm all for paying cops well. Long Island has the highest paid cops in the country and I really don't have much of an issue with that, but some of the stuff is just plain insane. Even if its just a few at the top who receive these enormous payouts, $600,000+ of taxpayer $$ is absurd any way you slice it. To top that off I'm sure they will ave nice six figure a year pensions we will all be paying for as well.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:42 PM

267 posts, read 598,793 times
pension fairy comes last day of the month..........aahhh, love it. rain ,sleet , snow , new york state goes broke.......don't matter... ny constituition guarantees the pension fairy will show up........close down schools etc. it don't matter.......we pension folks still get the benjamins........no sitting in traffic for me...........

Old 09-16-2010, 05:43 PM

267 posts, read 598,793 times
quit crying and take a test for one of these gravy jobs........................

Old 09-16-2010, 06:38 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Here you go:

New York State and Local Retirement System

It explains the tiers and who contributes what.
I know Tier 5 requires donations for the first 10 years but that footnote was from the SCD site indicating no pensikon pay in requirement. So they have dispensation?

Old 09-16-2010, 06:48 PM

I just can't imagine anyone make sense out of a $600,000 payout for a civil service job. There were 125 police officers that retired and Nassau County needed to borrow the money to pay for these 4 and I assume the others because they didn't have the money. Do you know of any business that would take out a loan to offer an incentive to workers to retire? This is absolute and complete madness.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:49 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Well the article says it was other things as well, though did not go into detail. Regardless, very few places in either the private pr public sector you can run up that much sick and vacation time without losing it, or without it being capped. $600,000 + of taxpayer $$$ to retire is insane period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
If even a third of that was unused leave, you'd have to go a long time without taking a decent vacation or banging in to get to that point.
first off it was sick time not vacation time

I'll give an example:

MY JOB: 1-6 years you earn 4 hrs vacation time, and 4 hrs sick per pay period......26 pay period a year , sometimes 27 on leap years

7-14 years on the job 6 hrs vacation time, 4 hrs sick per pay eriod

15-20 years on the job 8 hrs vacation time 4 hrs sick per pay period

20 years or more 10 hrs vacation time , 6 hrs sick per pay period

MAX carry over for vacation time 240 hrs......NO MAX for sick time

4hrs x 26 pay periods = 104 hrs....13 days...or 2-3/5 weeks

twenty years would be 260 days

then the over20

6 hrs a pay period for the 17 years (this guy had 37 years) 331 days

plus his from the first 20 ......591 days if he didnt ever take a sick day

police CHIEFS make nearly 200k as it is

it is very possible

Old 09-16-2010, 10:12 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
first off it was sick time not vacation time

I'll give an example:

MY JOB: 1-6 years you earn 4 hrs vacation time, and 4 hrs sick per pay period......26 pay period a year , sometimes 27 on leap years

7-14 years on the job 6 hrs vacation time, 4 hrs sick per pay eriod

15-20 years on the job 8 hrs vacation time 4 hrs sick per pay period

20 years or more 10 hrs vacation time , 6 hrs sick per pay period

MAX carry over for vacation time 240 hrs......NO MAX for sick time

4hrs x 26 pay periods = 104 hrs....13 days...or 2-3/5 weeks

twenty years would be 260 days

then the over20

6 hrs a pay period for the 17 years (this guy had 37 years) 331 days

plus his from the first 20 ......591 days if he didnt ever take a sick day

police CHIEFS make nearly 200k as it is

it is very possible
Very few places give out that insane amount of sick time, and let you carry it over from year to year on top of that. Its just plain absurd, period. Payouts to retire in excess of $600,000 closing in on $700,000 of taxpayer $$$ is absolutely insane, and throw in a six figure yearly pension on top of that. No justification for this kind of excess, none. Lifting the caps (which had an extremely high payout as it is) was just absurd. This type of excess just can't be defended, period.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:56 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,500,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I just can't imagine anyone make sense out of a $600,000 payout for a civil service job. There were 125 police officers that retired and Nassau County needed to borrow the money to pay for these 4 and I assume the others because they didn't have the money. Do you know of any business that would take out a loan to offer an incentive to workers to retire? This is absolute and complete madness.
Yes its called private sector wall street employees. Making millions off greed. The corporate media is doing a fine job redirecting the publics anger away from the private sector greed which caused the depression we are in. Lets remember the civil servants have zero to do with the poor economy.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post
Yes its called private sector wall street employees. Making millions off greed. The corporate media is doing a fine job redirecting the publics anger away from the private sector greed which caused the depression we are in. Lets remember the civil servants have zero to do with the poor economy.
So the defense from the public sector is we are no worse than wall street and the investment bankers that drove our economy into the ground? Most here have issue with both and that argument doesn't make either acceptable, both deserve critcism. I have heard the "wall st defense" used too many times here, this needs to be defended on its own merits if you can find them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island