Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 01:18 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,974,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Good point.

Well, you live in the Lawrence School District.

How about making a complaint to the State about this usage of a public school?
Actually I'm pulling up the NYS Ed dept. contact info right now -- this is obviously a violation of state NYSED policies.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
They are useless.

If anything, they are anti-public (secular) schools. They are pro-religious (Jewish in particular) schools.
Agreed.

I would be just as pissed if it were a private Christmas/Easter service, but it is just the area we live in.

Going to call the NYSED Operations dept after my meeting at work.

Gives me something to do until 5

Old 09-14-2010, 01:24 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,899 times
Come on now K4O....is this really bothering you?

Old 09-14-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Come on now K4O....is this really bothering you?
Yes.

Many 5 towns kids are sent to private schools (HAFTR, HALB, etc.) so almost all of the school budgets are voted down.

Yet they want to use the public school for this?

Can't have it both ways.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:42 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Agreed.

I would be just as pissed if it were a private Christmas/Easter service, but it is just the area we live in.

If you really want to stir the pot and make a point, suggest using the school for a Muslim service. I'm sure that will get their attention.

(Said the atheist who thinks religious anything should be kept away from public school property at all times, whether school is in session or not, just on general principle.)

Old 09-14-2010, 02:14 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Yes.

Many 5 towns kids are sent to private schools (HAFTR, HALB, etc.) so almost all of the school budgets are voted down.

Yet they want to use the public school for this?

Can't have it both ways.
Whatever is to benefit the kids going to the public schools is generally voted down.

However, they will use the public's tax money as their own personal treasure chest when it comes to their religious education.

Example: Do you know any public school district on Long Island that provides bussing all the way to schools in BROOKLYN for students that opt not to go to the public school? Lawrence does. It provide bussing to private Jewish schools in Brooklyn.

Example: They are always trying to consolidate and close Lawrence public schools. What do they do when they succeed? Sell the building for a song to a religious organization so that they may create a private school!

Example: The only thing they care about for the public schools is special education. However, that may be changing because I know someone who works in a Jewish school located in Lawrence that accepts special ed students from the district. So they are starting to funnel their money to private religious schools to provide special ed instead of public district services.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Agreed.

Good for you!

Give them H E L L and keep us posted!

Old 09-14-2010, 05:22 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
What about the majority of gov't school districts that put on Christmas Concerts, where teachers, paid form tax funds, teach students to sing and/or play Christian religious songs; that schedules sports teams to play at a time that excludes others students from participating because of different religious beliefs; that only serve Gentile food in the school cafeteria, excluding some students from eating a hot lunch because of different religious beliefs?

Old 09-14-2010, 05:42 PM

^^^
I don't agree with that either.

However, the U.S.A. has been a Christian country since its inception and things like this (i.e., "Saturday is a good day for extracurricular activities and sports because Sunday is the traditional 'day of rest' for Christians") are ingrained in the larger culture, which makes it that much harder to take out of public schools even with the separation of church and state policy in effect.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
What about the majority of gov't school districts that put on Christmas Concerts, where teachers, paid form tax funds, teach students to sing and/or play Christian religious songs; that schedules sports teams to play at a time that excludes others students from participating because of different religious beliefs; that only serve Gentile food in the school cafeteria, excluding some students from eating a hot lunch because of different religious beliefs?
Actually aren't these concerts considered Winter Concerts or Holiday Concerts?

And there is not only "Gentile" food in the cafeteria, there is regular friggen food, I do not pay taxes to cover all bases -- if you can't eat what is there, bring your own. Do you call ahead to restaurants to make sure they have food that fits YOUR choices?

Same thing about sports teams -- can't make it, don't join. Not everyone else's problem that you can't do anything past Friday night. Do you think the world shuts down on Friday past 4pm? News flash: it doesn't.

Besides, this is a blatant violation of STATE POLICIES, plain and simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island