Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 06:29 PM

400 posts, read 761,220 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I just recently bought my first house in Long Island... I am getting some renovations done on the house for the last 4 weeks... Its been dragging on... Now that its wrapping up, I have a bit of garbage that I wantto throw out.... Nothing huge as I already went through 2 dumpsters worth, but just around 6-8 black garbage bags... I started putting them out... At first I put like 4.... The next day I came back and they were still there... Then a number of times I have only put out 2-3... Last night I put out 2 small ones... They did not get taken.... One day my contractor was there and he saw the garbage man... he waved at them and the garbage man waved back rubbing his fingertips together as if he wanted cash....

Should I just complain to the town... The taxes here are insane... now I would understand it if I was putting out a crazy amount of garbage, but I am putting out such a small amount and it is being ignored.... Anyone ever experience this?? Do I have to friggen tip the garbage man because I moved into the neighborhood??? Thats is friggen insane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 06:32 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,244,382 times
It depends what you are allowed to throw out. Are the bags filled with broken up sheetrock, wood with nails sticking out of it, metal poking out the sides or are we talking about two black bags that are the normal weight of 'regular trash'?

Any time I needed to throw away stuff that was a little bit more like debris than garbage I usually throw the guys a few bucks.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:47 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,971,473 times
The same thing is happening to me right now. My car's mirror got taken out on the street and I cleaned it up, threw the pieces into the garbage can. Also threw a box for my oil filter in the garbage, along with 2 bags of garbage. I go to throw out a bag yesterday and see the damn plastic pieces and oil filter box sitting there, like they took the bags and picked out the other pieces.

Do your Moderator cut: language job, seriously.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 05-20-2010 at 08:58 PM..

Old 03-01-2010, 06:49 PM

20,023 posts, read 20,831,761 times
If they were rubbing their fingers together I'd call the town immediately.
Screw those guys.
As long as the bags aren't over the weight limit and don't contain anything they're not really supposed to have, then they should pick them up.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:51 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,703,654 times
Cold day in hell when I would tip the garbagemen

Old 03-01-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Word!

Old 03-01-2010, 06:54 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,642,615 times
We had a similar problem out in Stony Brook. It seems the town of Brookhaven has all sorts of rules and regulations governing garbage (go figure). We put out several black contractor bags along with our regular garbage pails and the black bags were left. For weeks. I called the town and they eventually took them away something like 2 at a time.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:57 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,244,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
When they are taking away a lot more than they should be it is worth every penny to me. I do a lot of work on my house myself and it is done over time which doesn't make sense to get a dumpster sometimes.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:59 PM

Well, rules are rules. Right, wrong or indifferent it doesn't matter.
If something goes out to the curb that is aginst the rules, then they don't have to take it.
That's just the way it is.
If they're being lazy and not taking stuff that is within the guidlines then they need a good beating, or be reported to their superior, who most likely is just as lazy and bloated on the taxpayer dime, but whatever.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:18 PM

400 posts, read 761,220 times
Well, My mom lives in the same town, and I take the garbage in my car over to her house.... They always take it.. But yes, most of these bags contain cardboard boxes, and just general construction junk.. nothing crazy though like glass etc..... The problem is I dont even live there... I wouldnt mind giving them a few bucks, but I dont tip based on blackmail... I tip for good service... If I was throwing out large amounts of garbage, then I would definately tip them.... In this case I paid for 2 dumpsters for the trash... I am not going to get another dumpster for 8 garbage bags... One bag is full of cardboard.,... OMG.... They so annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island