Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 11:18 PM
grant516

n/a posts

Advertisements

The Huntington Town Board last night voted down the proposed Avalon Bay housing development in Huntington Station, turning back a project that critics feared would have overburdened the community even as supporters said it was the key to revitalizing it.

Huntington Town Board Sinks AvalonBay Proposal | Long Island Press

Frank P. Petrone Town Supervisor voted in Favor of development.
Mark Cuthbertson Councilman voted against development.
Susan A. Berland Councilwoman voted against development.
Glenda A. Jackson Councilwoman voted in Favor of development.
Mark Mayoka Councilman voted against development.

Yet another fine example of how Long Island cannot cast away its shackles of the past, allow development for rental units and affordable housing for Youth, Singles, and lower-income families, and how 490 additional taypaying homes could have come into a community. Homes that are 80% less likely to contain school aged children (according to the housing demographics of the other two avalon bay projects on LI).

AvalonBay had first proposed 20-units per acre, then gone down to 18. She wanted them to go to 14 units. At a certain point, Matt Whelan, head of regional development for AvalonBay Communities, Inc., had said he’ll just go elsewhere. His projects are already in Glen Cove and Melville, to name a few.

There's plenty of room to build in the rest of the country, with less of this NIMBY garbage. Cuthbertson, Berland, and Mayoka all must own homes in Huntington.... can you? Can your kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 11:38 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,166,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post

all must own homes in Huntington.... can you? Can your kids?
Yes, I can and yes, so do my daughters.

Avalon was also turned down by Garden City and Oyster Bay.

Not only was the project 80% rental and 20% ownership and included an allocation for low income apartments, but it required a serious downzoning in an area that has enough problems already. Let's get rid of the problems first before you introduce more density.

The project itself sounded great, but the ramifications of some of the required zoning changes, etc., were not beneficial for Huntington Station. These zoning changes were not required in Melville or Glen Cove.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:17 AM

325 posts, read 737,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
all must own homes in Huntington.... can you? Can your kids?
Yes and yes. My son and his wife work their asses off and were able to purchase a small house in Centerport last year.

I'm very pleased with the Board's decision.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:15 PM

764 posts, read 1,554,302 times
Default ugh

Also the infrastructure in the area cant handle the 500 + people that would have moved in. Park avenue is a nightmare during rush hour.

Also from what i understand 120 or so units can be built on the site. The approval was needed for 500 units. So its basically the developers looking for money .

This was not good for the community. The area cant support adding that many people and that many cars.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:21 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,274,376 times
I don't know whether it was a good move or bad, but I can say that Avalon apartments tend to be nice. They're popular in the mid-Atlantic region (DC, VA, MD). From what I understand, the ones in Smithtown are nice. Pricey, though.

I hope at some point there can be a happy medium on the Island, just in general, between all the different interests (residents, environmentalists, developers, etc.). Someone needs to give Fairfield some competition.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
I don't know whether it was a good move or bad, but I can say that Avalon apartments tend to be nice. They're popular in the mid-Atlantic region (DC, VA, MD). From what I understand, the ones in Smithtown are nice. Pricey, though.

I hope at some point there can be a happy medium on the Island, just in general, between all the different interests (residents, environmentalists, developers, etc.). Someone needs to give Fairfield some competition.
I don't care if they were 100% luxury condos with a high tax yield. The issue was density. As majortom1981 pointed out, it would have been a huge burden on our infrastructure and the school district (in spite of what the Virginia based developers and supporters were saying) . It would have set a horrible rezoning precedent.

Last edited by h-tonian; 09-22-2010 at 03:50 PM..

Old 09-22-2010, 04:06 PM

By the way, here are more high density worries that are on the horizon for Huntington:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/20/re...0melius&st=cse

http://triangleequities.com/adminsit...r%20Review.pdf

Both will snarl traffic on Jericho Tpk. and irrevocable change the nature of the area. I'm particulary appauled at the prospect of the Oheka development, as it would not only dramatically change the character of my neighborhood but will also deface a beautifully landscaped historical landmark. The huge money making castle is currently sitting on an Olmsted designed landscape masterpiece which would be destroyed by high density condos.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:09 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,331,641 times
That's a shame.

I better not hear anybody from there complaining in 10-15 years when there are no young professionals left on the island and there is a huge shortage of doctors and they have nobody to care for them because they all moved Upstate or to parts of Jersey for somewhat reasonably priced housing options.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
That's a shame.

I better not hear anybody from there complaining in 10-15 years when there are no young professionals left on the island and there is a huge shortage of doctors and they have nobody to care for them because they all moved Upstate or to parts of Jersey for somewhat reasonably priced housing options.
We don't exactly have a short supply of young professionals in Huntington. There are lots of young families here. As I stated above, my son (and his doctor wife!) purchased in the area last year. Elke also stated that her daughters managed to buy in the area without high density housing being built by an out-of-state developer.

It's the character of the area that attracts people here.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:27 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,331,641 times
Yeah, of course there are and will be some exceptions, but do you really think that, for example, a young person in their 20's who is living alone and going full-time to school can afford to live in a 'decent' area of long island?... So they will start to seek other areas and regions where things are more affordable so they don't have to move back with mom and dad and can be independant and achieve their goals.

And the more time you spend away from home and in a given area, the more attached you become to it, which means the more likely you are to stay there and never return. (and trust me, it's not that hard to miss the high cost of living of most of Long Island).

My point is, yeah, there will be people like your son and his wife who are young professionals and who have chose to remain on the island, but in order to ensure the economic survival of the island, we really need something that will really really give young people here a reason to stay and make staying here a more attractive option for as many young people as possible and to also attract young people from other places too; that is our challenge as an island.

EDIT, and yes, i'm sure there may be an at least sufficient amount of young people in your area right now, but we need to also look 15 years-20 years and even 25 years into the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island