Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 07:44 AM
ETD ETD started this thread

12 posts, read 42,762 times

Advertisements

No Fox5 or My9 .Really getting fed up with Cablevision . They charge us for these free stations but they dont want to pay for them . Fios looking good .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 08:59 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,274,376 times
Really? But... but... HOUSE!

Old 10-16-2010, 09:10 AM

99 posts, read 272,788 times
This is why sports prices keep skyrocketing! Networks pay big bucks for NFL MLB etc because they know that they can then charge YOU more money regardless if you are a sports fan or not. Because the first thing that people say when a channel is being yanked is OMG Giants etc.

ESPN costs us all $5 a month. Now fox outbid them for some football and wants more too. It will never end unless cable operators take a stand. Everyone complains about outrageous player salaries and high cable bills, so now it the time to do something about it. Show other networks that MLB and NFL is not a ticket to getting unlimited money from subscribers.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:27 AM

1,786 posts, read 3,463,010 times
I heard it was a possibility, but I got an email this morning from Cablevision that reads as follows:

We regret to inform you that News Corp, in an act of corporate greed, has pulled Fox 5 and My9 from your Cablevision channel lineup. This is an unfortunate attempt to extort unreasonable and unfair fee increases from Cablevision and our customers.
News Corp is demanding more for Fox 5 than we pay for every other broadcast channel. In fact, they want more for Fox 5 than we pay CBS, NBC, ABC and Univision combined and are asking for more than $150 million a year. That’s an $80 million increase for the exact same programming! In these tough economic times, an increase of these vast proportions is irresponsible and unfair.
We have made numerous fair and reasonable proposals to News Corp and they have refused every one. And now, News Corp has pulled the plug on Fox 5 AND My9. This was News Corp’s decision, not ours. We want to keep these channels on the air while we negotiate a fair agreement.
As a result of News Corp’s refusal to negotiate, Cablevision is willing to accept binding arbitration to resolve this matter fairly. We are confident that an independent third party will agree that what we are offering to pay News Corp is fair. We call on News Corp to accept binding arbitration, and return Fox 5 and My9 to the air until an agreement is reached.
We apologize for the inconvenience caused by News Corp’s actions, and we ask for your help. Call 1-877-NO-TV-TAX (1-877-668-8829) or visit www.cablevision.com/fox and tell News Corp to put Fox 5 and My9 back on the air, and to keep you out of the negotiations.
Thank you for your patience, your patronage and your support.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:16 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,238,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
I heard it was a possibility, but I got an email this morning from Cablevision that reads as follows:

We regret to inform you that News Corp, in an act of corporate greed, has pulled Fox 5 and My9 from your Cablevision channel lineup. This is an unfortunate attempt to extort unreasonable and unfair fee increases from Cablevision and our customers.
News Corp is demanding more for Fox 5 than we pay for every other broadcast channel. In fact, they want more for Fox 5 than we pay CBS, NBC, ABC and Univision combined and are asking for more than $150 million a year. That’s an $80 million increase for the exact same programming! In these tough economic times, an increase of these vast proportions is irresponsible and unfair.
We have made numerous fair and reasonable proposals to News Corp and they have refused every one. And now, News Corp has pulled the plug on Fox 5 AND My9. This was News Corp’s decision, not ours. We want to keep these channels on the air while we negotiate a fair agreement.
As a result of News Corp’s refusal to negotiate, Cablevision is willing to accept binding arbitration to resolve this matter fairly. We are confident that an independent third party will agree that what we are offering to pay News Corp is fair. We call on News Corp to accept binding arbitration, and return Fox 5 and My9 to the air until an agreement is reached.
We apologize for the inconvenience caused by News Corp’s actions, and we ask for your help. Call 1-877-NO-TV-TAX begin_of_the_skype_highlighting**************1-877-NO-TV-TAX******end_of_the_skype_highlighting (1-877-668-8829) or visit www.cablevision.com/fox and tell News Corp to put Fox 5 and My9 back on the air, and to keep you out of the negotiations.
They regret nothing. And they always seem to pull this crap just before a large sporting event.
Maybe Cablevision should stop flying helicopters everywhere and save their customers a few bucks.
I could give a hoot about the Giants but I pay my $143 monthly and expect to receive what I am contracted for.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:26 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,247,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post

We apologize for the inconvenience caused by News Corp’s actions, and we ask for your help. Call 1-877-NO-TV-TAX (1-877-668-8829) or visit www.cablevision.com/fox and tell News Corp to put Fox 5 and My9 back on the air, and to keep you out of the negotiations.
Ha ha that is funny, it actually sums up the Dolans very well. It is impossible to know who is being extra greedy here but my money is always on the Dolans. I am glad I made the switch to Fios many months ago and I enjoy how they beg me to come back.

On a side note, I imagine that this battle between the networks and the cable providers is only the beginning and it will probably come up with Direct TV and Fios at some point as well.

Old 10-16-2010, 12:05 PM

732 posts, read 1,735,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
Ha ha that is funny, it actually sums up the Dolans very well. It is impossible to know who is being extra greedy here but my money is always on the Dolans.
Ahahahaha. Dolans versus the Rupert empire? Dolan is just a small fry compared to Fox.

Old 10-16-2010, 12:39 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,247,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoleModel View Post
Ahahahaha. Dolans versus the Rupert empire? Dolan is just a small fry compared to Fox.
True. But after (just off the top of my head):

The Dolans vs ABC
The Dolans vs HGTV
The Dolans vs YES Network
The Dolans vs NFL Netwrok
The Dolans vs The West Side Stadium

it gets a little old don't you think?

Old 10-16-2010, 12:50 PM

74 posts, read 207,529 times
I wish we could just pay per channel or just start streaming all TV through the internet. How many channels do we really even watch? I watch the same channels (History, Spike, and FoxNews) Cablevision is such a rip, but FIOS isn't out east yet.

Old 10-16-2010, 01:05 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,153,597 times
The answer: Direct TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island