Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 10:19 PM
sci

90 posts, read 224,170 times

Advertisements

I went thru the process less than a year ago. Rental house located in Hicksville. After paying the lawyer, court costs and even milage for the sheriff to post the notice on the door, the final kick in the nuts is having to pay to move and store the deadbeats belongings. In my case I had to pay $4,000 oh and is that going to be cash or credit card? What can you do but pay, can't wait and get another quote. If you don't agree they leave and so does the sheriff and your eviction does not happen and you lose more.
After losing about $24,000 all I have to show is a judgement that I will probable never be able to collect on.
I called my local legislator and voiced my displeasure with this law. Only was able to speak to the secretary who was very nice and aploigetic. I also recieved a form letter from them.
Sad that these people will probable do this again and again. Have to wonder is this what they are teaching their children, how to beat the system? I think that there is a whole "class" of people out there that have learned to legally cheat others and think that it is there right to do so.
Starting to get disgusted with being treated unfairly as a landlord here in Hicksville and will most likely sell in the next 5 to 7 years. That is going to remove another 5 legal units from the area. Even if another investor buys them and rents them out, they will probabale be illegally divided up into multiple units to cover the costs and "maxamize" their return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 07:01 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times
This is why Hicksville and other similar areas are turning into dumps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sci View Post
Sad that these people will probable do this again and again. Have to wonder is this what they are teaching their children, how to beat the system? I think that there is a whole "class" of people out there that have learned to legally cheat others and think that it is there right to do so.
Starting to get disgusted with being treated unfairly as a landlord here in Hicksville and will most likely sell in the next 5 to 7 years. That is going to remove another 5 legal units from the area. Even if another investor buys them and rents them out, they will probabale be illegally divided up into multiple units to cover the costs and "maxamize" their return.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:04 PM

How about this...
When the tenant is gone, rent a uhaul, haul their stuff to a private storage facility (real cheap one) or dump it in front of a salvation army location and report it as a burglary.

Two eyes for an eye.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Isnt it amazing how unlandlord friendly Long island is.

And they say we are the dirtbags!!!

Sorry you are going thru this. As a landlord myself and having been screwed also, it is a horrible situation to be in.
You want landlord friendly? Simple. Move to Queens.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post

In my case, my tenants tried to steal my house. Long story, but it's true. You have to be on the defensive and watch your back with tenants.
I would love to hear this please, I don't care how long the story is. Direct message me if you don't want to post it here, thank you.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:09 PM

93 posts, read 139,735 times
Default Do not take matters into your own hands!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacike View Post
I would tend to agree with Gpsma on your previous statement. What happens if you just turn the heat off, turn the water off, turn the electricity off. Don't landlords have the "tools" to force some dirtbag tenant out.
Years ago, one of my coworkers friends had a similar situation, turned the electricity off, the tenant was on section 8. This dirt bag was a professional at his game, went and reported the landlord, they wasted no time contacting him; he was given one hour to turn it back on, or face charges. When you rent, make sure the place is legal & registered with the town, pay your annual fees, contact a real estate find out how they go about what their rules & regulations are as to renting an apartment, take it from there whether you want to use them or not. They usually charge a one time fee such as one month rent, one month security & one month rent; can be costly to the renter. It may be worth it if they collect the rent & are in charge of evictions just in case it would occur. The home owner has no rights, once one of these creeps get into the apartment, pull that stunt, they'll proudly walk pass you as though everything's OK. First step would be to get a background check, once all is clear, pay an attorney to write out a lease in your terms, make sure their SS# is included for court purposes, have it notarized, & go from there, but forget about turning anything off, big mistake.

Don
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 08-16-2014, 08:15 PM

6 posts, read 14,721 times
I just registered with this site, and stumbled upon this discussion, though not a recent topic here. In fact, my accidental discovery of this site was precipitated by a question of my own related to LT laws here in NY- Nassau County, specifically.
Here is my query:
1] What does a landlord do when after legal eviction, storage of tenant's things, there is an auto remaining on property, unregistered and unauthorized to be there anyway? Does anyone know the guidelines and policies pertaining to this situation?... a vehicle left on the property.....
2] Additionally, tenants hadn't paid rent in at least 4 months prior to eviction. Can a lien be placed on car in lieu of money owed, and if so, what is the procedure?
3] Is tenant entitled same 30 day period to claim and retrieve it?
thanks

Old 08-18-2014, 01:00 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc nassau acquisition View Post
I just registered with this site, and stumbled upon this discussion, though not a recent topic here. In fact, my accidental discovery of this site was precipitated by a question of my own related to LT laws here in NY- Nassau County, specifically.
Here is my query:
1] What does a landlord do when after legal eviction, storage of tenant's things, there is an auto remaining on property, unregistered and unauthorized to be there anyway? Does anyone know the guidelines and policies pertaining to this situation?... a vehicle left on the property.....
2] Additionally, tenants hadn't paid rent in at least 4 months prior to eviction. Can a lien be placed on car in lieu of money owed, and if so, what is the procedure?
3] Is tenant entitled same 30 day period to claim and retrieve it?
thanks
I can only answer question #2.

Yes, the Sheriff can seize a car and hold it until the judgment is paid.

Actually, even if your tenant were to take the car off the property, if the sheriff can find it and it isn't in a locked garage, the Sheriff has the right to take it away.

Even if the tenant has another car that is registered, etc., the Sheriff can do that to this car also.

If someone owes a judgment and the Sheriff is retained to collect, they can seize any car or seize money out of the person who owes the judgement's bank account. So if your former tenant paid by check, I hope you have his bank account information. And if you know where he moved, that's where you send the Sheriff to tow away his cars and hold them until he pays you the full amount of the judgment.

An added bonus is that the former tenant's credit will be shot to hell with a judgment on it, so it is also in the best interest of the tenant to pay off judgments.

However, please note, you have to go to court and win a judgment against the tenant before the sheriff can or will do anything for you. It sounds like you have already been through the courts, since you say it was a "legal" eviction. Did the judge order your tenant to pay you a money judgment in addition to ordering him to leave your property? If not, if the tenant owes you back rent and you can prove it, go back to court and ask the judge to order one.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:08 PM

43 posts, read 106,686 times
My landlord had this dirtbag female living in one of his rooms...and the woman flipped on him when he found out about her criminal record (she was a con artist who preyed upon older men). She ended up destroying his $1000 laptop and repeatedly hitting him upside the head with a lamp...and I witnessed all of it! She got her a* * kicked out that night and he changed the locks so that she couldn't get back in and get revenge on him.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:15 AM

6 posts, read 14,721 times
Thanks for the info and will take it all under advisement with quick followup. The former tenants have at least three cars[ who owns them with title info, not sure], and though evicted, I haven't gone back to court for the money judgement. You can bet that after this weekend, my face will surely be in the court system once more. They can't be allowed to escape without facing the music and paying debts owed. Macy's won't allow it....nor do banks! Why should I, right?!!

You have provided insight into this situation, and I thank you once more.

Should you have any more feedback, please, they are welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island