Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 09:12 AM

4 posts, read 14,422 times

Advertisements

For 6+ months, this deadbeat has been leaching our home without a care in the world. Her debt to us ranges in the ten thousands. Nonetheless, we took the appropriate legal proceedings and finally got a notice for the sheriff to get her ass out in ten days.

The only problem was this:
MOVER REQUIREMENTS: Moving company must be licensed, you must provide the DOT # of the mover, and attach a copy of the movers certificate of insurance.

Mover must appear at the site of the scheduled eviction on time and with the proper equipment (minimum 4 men, boxes etc) or the eviction will be cancelled.

And this:

STORAGE REQUIREMENTS: The storage facility must be located in Nassau County. It must be a commercial facility. A self-storage or a residential location is not acceptable.

We're supposed to accept this bs? To pay to move AND store this scumbag's belongings and let her comfortably search for other law-biding homeowners to screw over for thirty days?

I read in several other threads that paying for storage isn't necessary on the landlord's part, and supposedly there's some fineprint I haven't read. That technically, I'm just supposed to sit back and let the sheriff do his thing and leave her stuff at the curb. But I'm not completely sure how valid this is.

EDIT: If there's no way around paying for her lodging, I'd appreciate if you guys can recommend the cheapest "commercial" storage facilities that remain within these guidelines.

Last edited by 1pissedlandlord; 10-28-2010 at 09:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 09:15 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,899 times
I have asked this before but never got an answer...what is the penalty for simply kicking your worthless dead-beat tenant out of the house and leaving her belongings on the curb? I assume no court would require you to take someone back into your house. I suppose you might have to pay for her temporary lodging...but my attitude..let the dirtbag sue..then don't pay.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:50 AM

537 posts, read 1,448,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
but my attitude..let the dirtbag sue..then don't pay.

Then the dirtbag puts a lien on the landlord's assets. Not a wise strategy.

There are laws that need to be followed regarding legal eviction. Throwing a deadbeat's clothes to the street is not an option.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:16 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,974,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
I have asked this before but never got an answer...what is the penalty for simply kicking your worthless dead-beat tenant out of the house and leaving her belongings on the curb? I assume no court would require you to take someone back into your house. I suppose you might have to pay for her temporary lodging...but my attitude..let the dirtbag sue..then don't pay.
I think the tenants could go after a LL who just dumped their stuff to the curb for damages, as that is not the proper way to evict. I could be wrong.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:17 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,803,885 times
Isnt it amazing how unlandlord friendly Long island is.

And they say we are the dirtbags!!!

Sorry you are going thru this. As a landlord myself and having been screwed also, it is a horrible situation to be in.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:38 AM

126 posts, read 522,590 times
I am new to the homeowners pool. I don't think i will be renting out my basement out to anyone. Way too many horror stories out there. Now way Jose

Old 10-28-2010, 10:52 AM

I often wonder whether these tenenant dirtbags pick who they will rent an apartment from by determining whether or not they can intimidate the landlord.

I'm very sure there are many landlords out there that can take matters into their own hands by simply intimidating their tenenants.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:56 AM

126 posts, read 522,590 times
I would tend to agree with Gpsma on your previous statement. What happens if you just turn the heat off, turn the water off, turn the electricity off. Don't landlords have the "tools" to force some dirtbag tenant out.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:04 AM

I think it is easier to do those things when you rent an apartment in your own house. Im sure the dirtbags with a recurring history of not paying their rent generally pick places that have an absentee landlord.

I really can't picture myself dealing in a very civil manner to someone who is living in my house and not paying their rent. I wouldn't be dealing with them in court..that's for sure.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:43 AM

486 posts, read 2,113,389 times
I know it's against the law, but I think if the landlord has to go as far as an eviction, it SHOULD be legal then to post the dirtbags name out there for everyone to see.

Why should they get away with it. I know the eviction will show up on a credit report, but I feel more needs to be done.

Landlords beware............dirtbags are lurking at every corner !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island