Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 09:38 PM

62 posts, read 251,775 times

Advertisements

I have an eye on a well maintained 100 year old frame house in Valley Stream Long Island. I have heard conrete foundations have only 100 years of lifetime. do I need to factor that in the purchase? If the inspection finds no major problems, is it a good idea to buy it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 10:09 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,470,736 times
Why would you want to buy a 100 year old house???? At whatever price, it's no bargain. Why not just go find a decent house with no "baggage" and get it over with. You're obviously trying to find a bargain but remember: You get what you pay for! and you shouldnt be trying to cheap out in a home purchase!

Old 11-09-2010, 11:57 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Why would you want to buy a 100 year old house???? At whatever price, it's no bargain. Why not just go find a decent house with no "baggage" and get it over with. You're obviously trying to find a bargain but remember: You get what you pay for! and you shouldnt be trying to cheap out in a home purchase!
Ehh, its a toss up. Sometimes older homes are rock solid, extremely well built by craftsmen, and lovingly attended.

However, they aren't up for many modern comforts without a complete overhaul. Wiring, plumbing, insulation, etc all need to be brought up to code. If you have the hands (or the money) to do it, great! Especially if you can mix it with that old world patina that the homes have. Also, rooms are usually smaller, hallways tigher, stairs narrower and steeper, etc.

Best thing is to figure what you want and to compare what this home is going to give you vs. how much you need to give the home. Renovations aren't cheap.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:02 AM

33 posts, read 120,235 times
I live in a 100 year old house and while it is rock solid(with a brick foundation)they are no bargain.Just on energy costs and comfort alone unless you are going to invest many dollars into a retrofit.Marginal insulation,outdated electrics,plaster walls-true definition of Money Pit.

Old 11-10-2010, 03:04 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,170,731 times
I live in a wood frame house that I bought 22 years ago that is now 96 yrs old. The house sits on a sandstone foundation which I am sure sits on a cement footer. No problems with foundation.
It does not have side wall insulation but the roof and attic hip walls are insulated. The windows could be better but I had good storm windows installed which made that much better. The wiring, plumbing, etc, had been updated but I have had to repair some plumbing.
The thing about really old houses is how they were built. Mine has rough cut oak floor joists, solid oak doors and wood trim and still has the lath and plaster walls which makes for a much quieter house. It seems to be a better sound barrier than dry wall. The one thing I really like about it is the hot water radiator heat. Much more even heat. Even when the boiler isn't firing the radiators still maintain heat between firing cycles. And less dust than forced air heat.
But old houses aren't always on square. I've done some stuff in my house and found some projects to be more difficult because things aren't square and lath and plaster walls make it harder to find the wall studs.
But in general I like the strength that was built into the house and the real wood part. Even the floors are oak boards.
It depends on the condition of the house and what improvements have been made over time as far as making a purchase.
An inspector should be able to tell you if the foundation is deteriorating or if it looks like it may last for many more years.
I kind of like the charm of an old house. The wood work, etc.
At almost 100 yrs old my house isn't showing any major problems. I have no regrets and don't foresee any problems if I should want to sell it. It's still in good shape but it's been kept up and not let become run down.
Buying an old house is up to the person and the shape of the particular house.
I would buy this one again now if I was looking and found this one for sale at 96 yrs old.
I kinda like the older things. Heck, even my wife is getting old and I still like her. She ain't quite 96 though. LOL

Last edited by Robhu; 11-10-2010 at 03:29 AM..

Old 11-10-2010, 03:57 AM

886 posts, read 2,647,354 times
To be young and enthusiastic is great but before you know it you're going to start to creak and leak like a hundred year old farmhouse.Question is will you have the energy to keep taking care of the old house too?

Old 11-10-2010, 05:51 AM

638 posts, read 1,282,107 times
Really?? Y'all are thinkin' 100 years is OLD for a house?? I'm not thinkin' it's all that old. In my youth, my family lived in a home my grandfather built in the early 1900's on the beach. We also lived in a home in GC that is probably that age now. I don't consider them OLD.
My husband and I now live in an 18 year old house and we have plenty of headaches!! I believe it depends on the house as to whether it will come with "baggage" or not!

Old 11-10-2010, 06:47 AM

62 posts, read 251,775 times
I am comparing this house with another 1951 built house for the same price which has a small above ground swimming pool, but 200 Sqft smaller. Both houses look in decent condition to the naked eye. I am in a real dillema to which house i should give the offer. any advice is welcome.

Last edited by geethal; 11-10-2010 at 08:05 AM..

Old 11-10-2010, 08:48 AM

39 posts, read 267,301 times
first why not give an offer on both (low ball maybe? ) and which ever accepts take?

I previously lived in a beautiful 100yr + old house in Muttontown, and while it was a pain to heat i felt it had soo much more character than a newer home. Also as stated 100yr old homes in my experience, and it seems others, tend to be built better.

Also an above ground pool isnt worth making a decision on, you can pick one up at walmart these days

Old 11-10-2010, 09:58 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
There is no such thing as "passing inspection" - you'll hire a home inspector to come in and if he sees things that are noteworthy, he'll tell you about them. If he doesn't see them, you're sh*t out of luck because there will be a huge disclaimer that they can't find everything right on the report. And then you can decide whether you still want the house, whether you want the sellers to fix certain things, and what you can and can't take on yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island