Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 01:15 PM

1 posts, read 9,642 times

Advertisements

I have a job offer to teach in Harbor Country Day School in St. James, NY, in Suffolk County. I currently reside in Los Angeles. My wife and I are moving because she was accepted into a grad school in NY. I have a couple of questions:
1. Anybody have any info on Harbor Country Day School's reputation?
2. If this is an affluent area, why would parents pay private school tuition when there are good public school districts?
3. This school charges a lot less than other area private schools, e.g, Buckley. Does anyone know why?

Thanks a lot. I'm trying to do some due diligence before I take the plunge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 03:03 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,657,833 times
Usually a private "day school" is not cheap and leads to some nice connections. It's all about that. St. James is a nice area with good schools, so it's all about the name.

Not sure about the different schools, though.

Good luck.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:36 AM

1,214 posts, read 3,644,973 times
Harbor Country Day is one of the few private schools in my area. The other private schools locally are the Stony Brook School and Knox. But Harbor Country day I believe is K - 8, and Stony Brook and Knox begins in the 7th grade - so they are rather different in that respect.

The schools in Smithtown and the Three Villages are okay - but the classes are much bigger than a private school's class size. I had a couple of friends who sent their kids to Harbor Country Day - they wanted more teacher attention for their kids, something that's hard to get in the public schools. And the setting is very pretty - an old estate converted into a school - you know, the huge trees, good upkeep, they have a beautiful library, etc. Quite posh.

But after they were done in the 8th grade, the kids went to our high school. In fact one is there right now as a junior. Sometimes parents want more than what the public elementary schools offer.

I have to confess I've never heard of Buckley - is that a private school?

You may also want to look at Knox school in Head of the Harbor/Nissequogue before, as you put it, take the plunge.

Is your wife going to SUNY at Stony Brook?

Old 05-03-2007, 12:26 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,807,420 times
I think Buckley is in NYC ; if its the same Buckley I am thinking of.
Head of the harbor is a very very affluent area. Its lovely, but mucho dinero to even consider buying.
St. James is right next door and lovely. I know people who had one child in Catholic in Smithtown and the other two in public schools in St. James. Who did better?? Its hard to know.

dorothy

Old 05-04-2007, 04:36 PM

161 posts, read 683,387 times
I relocated to Raleigh NC almost a couple of years ago but still visit my hometown forum. I had to perk into this thread because all my children went to Harbor Country for Nursery and Preschool. I would have kept them in for longer, but we were accepted into St.Phillips and James and the tuition was so much more reasonable.
I can't say enough about Harbor. The families are so nice and everyone there is so positive about learning. The reason that many families in a good base school district choose this school is for the small class sizes and the wonderful atmosphere that the children learn in. It is NY, and the peer/social pressure and competition can be quite intimidating to some children and Harbor offers a nurturing, yet prepatory style to enjoy. You will certainly deal with nice families and children who are focused on learning. It would be a great place to work! I am getting homesick while I type. And about the costs.....It is pricey compared to Knox, but Knox is for the upper grades and some actually board. Many of these students come from all over the world, where it is local children that attend Harbor. You just can't go wrong working there. Good Luck!

Old 05-23-2007, 12:11 PM

3 posts, read 20,772 times
I agree with the other posters that Harbor Country has an excellent reputation. Why some people choose to send their children there instead of the local public school has always been a question in my mind as well. Smithtown School district is an excellent district; I could understand if it was a bad district. Some referenced the class sizes and I am curious how many children are usually in a class at Harbor Country? My son is in kindergarten and the class sizes are 19-20 children, which I consider reasonable.

I think some of it can be attributed to keeping up with the Joneses. This is considered an affluent area and i think some people like the "cache" that goes with being able to say you send your children to private school. Honestly, while I used to get caught up in what is the "BEST" district, I've come to realize that as long as you are in a "better" district (such as Smithtown, Commack, 3 Village, etc.) the emphasis on education by the parents in the home is much more important than being in the #1 school.

Old 05-23-2007, 05:45 PM

138 posts, read 600,904 times
We looked into moving to Nissequogue recently the area is wonderful. Head of Harbor and Nissequogue are both more expensive to live than St. James, but St James is wonderful. The Harbor Country school is nice and I think it will be all fine for you.

Old 05-27-2007, 08:07 PM

36 posts, read 194,764 times
Go for public schools.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:29 PM

1 posts, read 8,464 times
We've been at Harbor since last year. Great school, small class size, non-profit, very involved community. Did you change your mind? This year the school has been fit with smart boards! My kids go here and we couldn't be happier. Good luck with your decision!

Old 02-25-2008, 05:54 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,546,713 times
To answer your question,

1) The rep of the school is very good
2) Private schools on the island will be much less expensive than NYC private schools. Most people on LI would think Harbors tuition is expensive...I do!
3) Why send your kids there? Because you have the money any want the best advantage for you kids. Small classes better opportunities to get into prive highs school then better private colleges.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island