Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 09:04 PM

52 posts, read 136,599 times

Advertisements

Is Long Island appropriate for a family with small children? We are looking for an easy access to the major NY attractions as well as safe and reasonably priced neighbourhood. Something up to $2,200 per month.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2010, 09:52 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,471,703 times
Are you looking to rent?? How many BRs do you need?? You'd probably do fine on $2200/mo for rent. Keep in mind, there will also be LIPA (Electric) and Cable on top of that.

You can get into Manhattan on the LIRR.

Where on LI are you looking to move?

Old 12-25-2010, 10:04 PM

Looking for 2 bed 2 bath to rent. Not sure where on LI. I found Brooklyn quite expensive for me thus looking for a cheaper option. I just need someone to advise me on that.

If you can also recommend some web sites or agents that can assist this will be great. We don not want to end up in an unsafe area at the end of the day.

All we are looking is proximity to Manhattan as well as good daycares.

Thanks

Old 12-26-2010, 01:47 AM

442 posts, read 1,297,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycarrival View Post
Looking for 2 bed 2 bath to rent. Not sure where on LI. I found Brooklyn quite expensive for me thus looking for a cheaper option. I just need someone to advise me on that.

If you can also recommend some web sites or agents that can assist this will be great. We don not want to end up in an unsafe area at the end of the day.

All we are looking is proximity to Manhattan as well as good daycares.

Thanks
do you want to move to nyc or long island? brooklyn is NYC. queens is NYC as as well. they are physically part of the same island but that means nothing. its ok its an honest mistake, perhaps once you clarify this we can help because some of us know these areas really well.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:08 AM

Apologies, I was not aware of the fact that Long Island was not part of NYC. We are looking for proximity to the major attractions in NYC, but we also want to be in a neighbourhood appropriate for small children. We are looking for a 2 bed 2 bath place with budget up to $2,200. The reason why I went for LI was the fact that I couldn't find anything in Brooklyn and Queens in my price range.

All I need is someone to tell me about which areas to look for and/or recommend some agent that can help.

Thanks

Old 12-26-2010, 08:59 AM

242 posts, read 1,184,792 times
there is plenty in Brooklyn and Queens in that price range, but it would be an apartment, not a house. And basically all long island is is families and children. I grew up in Suffolk so I'm not the best to ask about Nassau towns, but you can absolutely find something for that price.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:38 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycarrival View Post
Apologies, I was not aware of the fact that Long Island was not part of NYC. We are looking for proximity to the major attractions in NYC, but we also want to be in a neighbourhood appropriate for small children. We are looking for a 2 bed 2 bath place with budget up to $2,200. The reason why I went for LI was the fact that I couldn't find anything in Brooklyn and Queens in my price range.

All I need is someone to tell me about which areas to look for and/or recommend some agent that can help.

Thanks
Your budget sounds doable in most areas (not all--the closer you get the higher the rent in "nice" areas), but could you clarify what you mean by "proximity"? Are you thinking of driving (you'd have to park somewhere) or taking the LIRR?

Old 12-26-2010, 11:41 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
I don't know if you will be able to find 2 bathrooms in a rental for that price. LI is an older suburb and most rentals have 1 bathroom unless they are fully remodeled or more recently built, in which case you will probably not find a 2 bedroom in that price range in a part of LI that is closer to Manhattan (where most of the NYC attractions are and where most city workers' offices are). If one bathroom is good enough, you should find something in Nassau at your price range. Out in Suffolk there may be newer buildings that have 2 bedrooms, 2 baths in your price range, but it will be a long and expensive trip (see the Long Island Railroad website for monthly commuter train pass prices plus most people have to pay over $100 a month for a NYC subway/bus card) to Manhattan. When you were looking in Queens and Brooklyn, did you find 2 BR/1 bath apartments in your price range? The extra bathroom you want may bump the price up too much for what you are willing to pay.

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 12-26-2010 at 11:57 AM..

Old 12-26-2010, 01:07 PM

Thanks all for your replies. This is really a great forum.

Yes, I am looking for an apartment for rent, not a house. What I mean by proximity is an easy access to an underground station.

I contacted an agent and she told me that the Brooklyn and Queens rentals for 2 bed 2 bath are within the 3000-4000 and this is how I got despaired. She also told me that I could still find something in these areas but "the neighbourhoods will not be so nice". And ... this is what I am afraid of - ending up in a place that I will have to leave after 2 weeks and lose the deposit.

I do not insist on Brooklyn or Queens. I just need a nice neighbourhood with good daycares and as little driving as possible. We are having two cars, but we definitely want to get rid of one of them as I will be working from home. The other one we would only like to use for shopping and going out of the city.

It is so tough finding something from so far away.

Cheers!

Old 12-26-2010, 02:03 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,193,183 times
Massapequa. It's an hour commute to Manhattan, it's a clean very friendly town that has a great school system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island