Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 02:29 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,744,811 times

Advertisements

Suffolk on the LI jm2¢ Fish-scale.

Heat map of crime on LI reported by Newsday for the first week of 2011.

=========

Attached Thumbnails
It appears "the fish rots from the gut"-fish-rots-suffolk2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 02:57 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,235,318 times
perhaps the same folks running the Nassau County Crime lab are keeping the crime statistics hahahaha

Old 01-09-2011, 03:11 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,168,896 times
Whatever you need to tell yourself Queens East.
Its hilarious/tragic to me that youre spending time on the 2c scale to convince yourself otherwise .
; )

Thank you for not embarrassing us with all of 2010s data (and NYCs) but we really appreciate your being our buffer.
See you soon.

Happy New Year Pequa.

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 01-09-2011 at 03:19 PM..

Old 01-09-2011, 03:19 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,508,646 times
Oh no......not again

We already did this one, back in March:

Long Island Crime map on newsday

13 pages of trying to make any sense of that map. We were never able to. It's missing huge chunks of data and entire police departments (notably Hempstead, Freeport and the entire 5 eastern Suffolk towns!).....violent crime is apparently excluded, as are DWI/DUIs....and eventually that thread turned into a Rocky Point bash-fest LOL...what else?

I don't know if there was really a consensus established back then, but I'd like to offer one now (if any of the original participants disagree, let me know): interesting novelty, but not anywhere close to a reliable indicator of island-wide crime.

As far as the underlying premise of THIS thread, however.....Suffolk does have a somewhat higher overall crime rate than Nassau

Old 01-09-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Oh no......not again

13 pages of trying to make any sense of that map. We were never able to. It's missing huge chunks of data and entire police departments (notably Hempstead, Freeport and the entire 5 eastern Suffolk towns!).....violent crime is apparently excluded, as are DWI/DUIs....and eventually that thread turned into a Rocky Point bash-fest LOL...what else?

I don't know if there was really a consensus established back then, but I'd like to offer one (if any of the original participants disagree, let me know): interesting novelty, but not anywhere close to a reliable indicator of island-wide crime.

As far as the underlying premise of THIS thread, however.....Suffolk does have a somewhat higher overall crime rate than Nassau
Hes new here Sean, give him time.

No village Data was a big ??? as well.

I think we dismissed this as complete BS.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Oh no......not again

I don't know if there was really a consensus established back then, but I'd like to offer one now (if any of the original participants disagree, let me know): interesting novelty, but not anywhere close to a reliable indicator of island-wide crime.

Some funny quotes in that thread hahaha!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephPicarilloJr.
It's true - all the pedophiles who live in Rocky Point used internet proxies from Brentwood, so the crime stats were recorded as Brentwood crimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean
Suffolk is lit up like a Christmas tree....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post

Idk, it looks somewhat accurate. Accurate enough to say the fish rots from the gut and the head ?

Old 01-09-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post

Idk, it looks somewhat accurate. Accurate enough to say the fish rots from the gut and the head ?

I never said the whole fish wasnt rotten (on the 2c scale of course).

If you want to really freak everyone out get a screen shot of the whole year

Apparently we in Compton.

Crooks

Old 01-09-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
I never said the whole fish wasnt rotten (on the 2c scale of course).

If you want to really freak everyone out get a screen shot of the whole year

Apparently we in Compton.

Crooks
I did the whole yr, it looked like a big clusterFl_lck.
don't worry crooks, if you ever need to flee war-torn suffolk, head to the peaceful pequas ; ) ...we get a lot of refugees from all parts suffolk co and white-flight zones in nassau.

RP and the silver coast still look somewhat safe, you got at least 10-15 yrs til C. brookhaven and the western suffolk malaise hits your area. Then...

Last edited by Pequaman; 01-09-2011 at 05:17 PM..

Old 01-09-2011, 05:27 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,508,646 times
Quote:

That's another way of putting it

The way Newsday has it portrayed, yeah it's a load of BS...

If you're curious as to the nature of SOME of the crimes recently reported in a certain area, then it's useful for that... but nothing else. What they're attempting to do is create a graphic representation of a police blotter, but since it's lacking an enormous amount of data, and I'm not sure all reported crimes show up in the blotter anyway, AND there is no "crime rate" factored into those partial data sets - it's entirely useless for it's designed purpose.

In other words, just because an area has a big red dot and a high number doesn't mean it's one of the most crime ridden areas on Long Island....and likewise, just because an area has nothing at all doesn't mean it's one of the safest.

Quote:
That thread also features a few members who are sadly no longer with us....permanent casualties of the self appointed union rep tattle-tale machine, "NATCH"

Quote:
Somewhat accurate?!? It shows Hempstead and Freeport as having little-to-zero crime! And a million other glaring deficiencies...

It doesn't matter if it looks right (which it doesn't, to me anyway), it's based on nonsense....and thus, it is nonsense.

There are only two places you can get reliable, accurate crime statistics from online. The NYS Division of Criminal Justice Services and the FBI Uniform Crime Reporting Database. Both have the same exact figures, although the DCJS may have some supplementary and more detailed information. I've never really poked around that much with it. You can also get precinct crime stats from the NCPD, but not Suffolk (or any of the smaller local village/city/special district PDs I'm aware of). That's it....anything else is either bogus or an inherently flawed spin on the above.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
That's another way of putting it

The way Newsday has it portrayed, yeah it's a load of BS...

If you're curious as to the nature of SOME of the crimes recently reported in a certain area, then it's useful for that... but nothing else. What they're attempting to do is create a graphic representation of a police blotter, but since it's lacking an enormous amount of data, and I'm not sure all reported crimes show up in the blotter anyway, AND there is no "crime rate" factored into those partial data sets - it's entirely useless for it's designed purpose.

In other words, just because an area has a big red dot and a high number doesn't mean it's one of the most crime ridden areas on Long Island....and likewise, just because an area has nothing at all doesn't mean it's one of the safest.

That thread also features a few members who are sadly no longer with us....permanent casualties of the self appointed union rep tattle-tale machine, "NATCH"

Somewhat accurate?!? It shows Hempstead and Freeport as having little-to-zero crime! And a million other glaring deficiencies...

It doesn't matter if it looks right (which it doesn't, to me anyway), it's based on nonsense....and thus, it is nonsense.

There are only two places you can get reliable, accurate crime statistics from online. The NYS Division of Criminal Justice Services and the FBI Uniform Crime Reporting Database. Both have the same exact figures, although the DCJS may have some supplementary and more detailed information. I've never really poked around that much with it. You can also get precinct crime stats from the NCPD, but not Suffolk (or any of the smaller local village/city/special district PDs I'm aware of). That's it....anything else is either bogus or an inherently flawed spin on the above.
One of the curious takeaways was that Downtowns(non Inc V) were disproportionately higher, As were areas with RR Stations and Malls.

Im pretty sure you debunked it too.

Crooks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island