Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2018, 07:45 PM

1 posts, read 3,323 times

Advertisements

I was curious as to how some communities in Long Island went from all-white to majority-minority so quickly. For instance, I lived in Valley Stream until I was about 5 and then my family moved and it was all white and that was in the mid 1990s. I did a little search and there were several schools in VS that went from literally 85-90% white to less than 30% white from the early 1990s to the early 2000s. Valley Stream on a whole went from 70% white in 2000 to dropping less than 50% in 2005 and now is only like 30% white as of 2016. This seemed to be a trend in the 2000s where suddenly mostly white areas went from being majority-minority. I still have family in the South Shore of Long Island so I visit every so often. I remember going to the Roosevelt Mall with my mom in the early 90s and it was one of the whitest malls in america. Ten years later, I went back and it was probably mostly black, asian, and latino with sprinkles of whites. I went again a couple years ago and I was the only white person in the entire mall! In the next 10 years, it is probable that Nassau County will be majority-minority especially with the growing Asian and especially Latino populations that have been flooding in for the past 10-15 years.
My question is, did every white person decide by like the late 90s to start fleeing? How did certain areas go from all white to all minorities in less than 10 years?
Should more groups from Europe start moving? What are your thoughts, Islanders? I feel like Nassau is turning into North Jersey or Queens.

Old 09-15-2018, 08:14 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,518,057 times
The country as a whole is less white now than it has ever been. Post-1965 the country has been letting in tons of immigrants that for the most part have not joined the melting pot since they no longer have an incentive to do so - modern clown world society champions their inability to learn the language, financially supports them even if they don’t work, and extends to them rights and privileges that prior generations of immigrants never received.

It’s not “white flight” as much as it is the floodgates being opened for over 50 years. The black population had remained pretty consistent; it’s mostly Hispanic and Asian immigration that has changed things the most viz. demographics.

Old 09-15-2018, 08:37 PM

20,027 posts, read 20,831,761 times
ON ON ON ON ON ON ON ON ON ON ON ON ON ON!!!!!!!!!!!!
Argh!!!!

Old 09-15-2018, 10:06 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,540,030 times
Actually, "from" would be the correct term in this context.

Old 09-16-2018, 05:40 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,767,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
The country as a whole is less white now than it has ever been. Post-1965 the country has been letting in tons of immigrants that for the most part have not joined the melting pot since they no longer have an incentive to do so - modern clown world society champions their inability to learn the language, financially supports them even if they don’t work, and extends to them rights and privileges that prior generations of immigrants never received.

It’s not “white flight” as much as it is the floodgates being opened for over 50 years. The black population had remained pretty consistent; it’s mostly Hispanic and Asian immigration that has changed things the most viz. demographics.
This is dead on, and it’s hardly just LI this is happening in areas all over the country.

Old 09-16-2018, 05:49 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,310,360 times
The demographics of Brookyn and Queens changed. Eventually Long Island and Florida will see similar demographic changes.

Old 09-16-2018, 06:43 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,326,385 times
Town if oyster bay is def still over 80% white.

Old 09-16-2018, 08:20 AM

852 posts, read 1,442,568 times
The question of "how" some communities' demographics changed so quickly is interesting. I'm thinking Valley Stream, Baldwin, Elmont, Inwood, etc. Maybe it had to do with their accessibility. Low income white areas like the ones I mentioned, where homes were affordable, were probably the ones that immigrants could most easily establish themselves in. African Americans, trying to get their children out of segregated school systems and communities, probably found these communities were options, as well. The wealthier communities, on the other hand, have had less change (although I've seen that Port Washington and Great Neck have experienced changes, as well, so maybe my idea doesn't pan out).

Unrelated to the OP's question: As a previous commenter posted, I think that you will find changing demographics throughout our country, not just on Long Island. The truth is that Americans of European descent are not reproducing enough and our country NEEDS immigration to drive our economy. And although people will make generalizations that "most" are on public assistance, the truth is that they are not. They do pay taxes, they purchase goods and services, and will be paying my social security benefits when I am retired... Thank you, immigrants!

Old 09-16-2018, 08:32 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,310,360 times
Also politicians slowed down European immigration in the '60s because of too many Italians. Similar to what they are trying to do today with Central Americans. They used to demonize the Mafia, as they do today with MS-13.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:07 AM

20,027 posts, read 20,831,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirlMastic Beach View Post
Also politicians slowed down European immigration in the '60s because of too many Italians. Similar to what they are trying to do today with Central Americans. They used to demonize the Mafia, as they do today with MS-13.
And let us not forget what they did to the Irish until the early 20th century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island