Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 09:01 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,337,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Anitbiotics are useless for all viruses as far as I konw, but they are used to fight bacterial infections that occur after the fact. And it can hurt if docs prescribe ABs everytime someone has a sniffle...anti-biotic resistant strains of bacteria are the result of overuse of anti-biotics. No good.
You are probably right....
I used to tell my family not to run to the doc at the slightest of discomfort. Not even take medication right away... wait it out a little to see if your body can take care of it. If it gets really worse, maybe then you can get some help.

These days we don't have to tell that anymore because the increasing insurance copays are probably forcing people to behave that way anyway !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 10:38 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Doesn't sound like the flu. Throwing up is not a symptom of the flu.

Flu Symptoms | FluFACTS
You're right. Something different. I thought of the flu shot because the original post mentioned flu:

Quote:
Nasty, nasty knock you on your butt fever chills stomach Flu.
I hope everyone who has it feels better soon!

Old 01-21-2011, 10:42 AM

22,671 posts, read 36,804,509 times
MOst docs are not on board with giving abx for every little thing anymore. And dman is right - sometimes a viral thing can lead to bacterial and then you'll need abx. I had the flu 6 years ago and when it was over I had a double ear infection, strep throat and bronchitis. Now I get a flu shot every year.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:47 AM

527 posts, read 1,020,058 times
Hi- its not just on LI-
I live in Whitestone and I had it bad a couple of days ago- Alot of people in my office has had it as well in this past month- Spoke to my cousin who lives in Franklin Square and practically her whole house had it too!

Old 01-21-2011, 10:53 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,345,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinyc View Post
Hi- its not just on LI-
I live in Whitestone and I had it bad a couple of days ago- Alot of people in my office has had it as well in this past month- Spoke to my cousin who lives in Franklin Square and practically her whole house had it too!

Yup, that's exactly how it goes; the whole family gets it.
My wife ended up in teh emergencey room last year. I didn't get ti so bad but I have a cast iron stomach.
It's viral, there is no treatment except to let it run it's course and it lasts aprox 24 hours.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:44 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
Yup, that's exactly how it goes; the whole family gets it.
My wife ended up in teh emergencey room last year. I didn't get ti so bad but I have a cast iron stomach.
It's viral, there is no treatment except to let it run it's course and it lasts aprox 24 hours.
I suppose it's a good thing that I live alone then.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:47 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
It's baaaaaack!!!

Now its's on steroids.(48-72 hrs of quality bucket and throne time) Wiped us out last week.

15 kids sent home from Setauket School.

Ugly.

Crooks

Old 03-07-2012, 02:04 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
It's baaaaaack!!!

Now its's on steroids.(48-72 hrs of quality bucket and throne time) Wiped us out last week.

15 kids sent home from Setauket School.

Ugly.

Crooks
My kid was out a few days last week, and went back on Monday this week and more than half the class was out with the noro/stomach virus.

He only threw up 3 times in about 4 hours and then that was it. He didn't eat anything for 12 hours and when he finally did, no recurrence. I think it's important not to feed this illness the minute you realize someone has it.

I sprayed that clorox clean up stuff on everything he touched, and we made him use his own hand towel in the bathroom, washed all the sheets and stuff he touched. So far no one else has contracted it.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:26 PM

3,526 posts, read 5,705,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
My kid was out a few days last week, and went back on Monday this week and more than half the class was out with the noro/stomach virus.

He only threw up 3 times in about 4 hours and then that was it. He didn't eat anything for 12 hours and when he finally did, no recurrence. I think it's important not to feed this illness the minute you realize someone has it.

I sprayed that clorox clean up stuff on everything he touched, and we made him use his own hand towel in the bathroom, washed all the sheets and stuff he touched. So far no one else has contracted it.
Yep, its floating around Sachem schools too.
Heard from a friend its floating around East Meadow as well.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:54 PM

22,671 posts, read 36,804,509 times
They had to close a school in Missouri because of this, I read today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island