Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 09:08 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,955,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
That's 64/36 , about in-line with the rest of Nassau County.
Now add in county sales tax portion, county surcharges, fines and other fees being filtered into Nassau coffers and it will bring that ratio down to close to 50/50.
So are you saying I use to pay more than the total (general 36% + school 64%) tax. How does it become 50/50 I don't understand? I thought all that junk was already added into the general portion.

** I see now...the way you're looking at it.

"County taxes have not increased this year as County Executive Ed Mangano fulfilled his pledge to hold the line on property taxes. However, the County tax is less than 20% of your total tax bill, while taxes for your local school district account for more than 60%. (The remaining taxes, i.e. approximately 20%, are attributable to your applicable town, special districts, city and/or village.) Thus, even though County taxes have not increased this year, your property taxes could still go up if your school or other taxes do. " Nice!

Last edited by BigMike50; 01-27-2011 at 09:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 09:10 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,180,133 times
Quote:
I just added up my gross receipts from last year in QuickBooks, here's what my totals looked like:

$5800 School Taxes w.star
$5471 County Taxes

It's closer to 51%/49% when you factor in sales tax and other miscellaneous charges. I didn't include the taxes I pay on gasoline and other hidden county taxes/surcharges/fines that I'm sure that will push it to 50/50. So there you go, it's really 50%/50%.

$3500 property taxes (county + village + other)
Sales taxes ~$3450 [County portion $1621]
Misc county fees, fines, surcharges $350

$3500 + $1621 (county portion of sales tax) + $350 = $5471
Yup.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:44 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,514,085 times
Quote:
That's 64/36 , about in-line with the rest of Nassau County.
Now add in county sales tax portion, county surcharges, fines and other fees being filtered into Nassau coffers and it will bring that ratio down to close to 50/50.
Yeah, yeah... we got that part. There are other expenses out there that fund the county's budget. The thing is, no one ever claims the 70/30 (or whatever) split applies to anything except property taxes... and I'm not sure exactly what surcharges, fees, etc. you're factoring in here but a lot of that is all completely subjective on the individual. I don't buy anything, ever, so I don't pay squat in sales tax.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:12 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,748,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Yeah, yeah... we got that part. There are other expenses out there that fund the county's budget. The thing is, no one ever claims the 70/30 (or whatever) split applies to anything except property taxes... and I'm not sure exactly what surcharges, fees, etc. you're factoring in here but a lot of that is all completely subjective on the individual. I don't buy anything, ever, so I don't pay squat in sales tax.
How could you possibly spend nothing, ever, and pay squat in sales tax? You drive around a lot I thought? That's $9.50 in taxes avg per fill up, how much of that goes to the county? $2-$3 per fill. I'm assuming you eat too. The county takes in over $1 Billion in sales taxes and $800M in property taxes. That adds up to about $2200 sales tax per household.

What I mean is also, I understand the property tax is viewed as 65-35 or 70-30 in some districts, but a tax is a tax. We are paying for services and compared to what we pay in total, the school tax is about 55-45, 50-50.

Last edited by Pequaman; 01-27-2011 at 11:20 PM..

Old 01-27-2011, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
So are you saying I use to pay more than the total (general 36% + school 64%) tax. How does it become 50/50 I don't understand? I thought all that junk was already added into the general portion.

** I see now...the way you're looking at it.

"County taxes have not increased this year as County Executive Ed Mangano fulfilled his pledge to hold the line on property taxes. However, the County tax is less than 20% of your total tax bill, while taxes for your local school district account for more than 60%. (The remaining taxes, i.e. approximately 20%, are attributable to your applicable town, special districts, city and/or village.) Thus, even though County taxes have not increased this year, your property taxes could still go up if your school or other taxes do. " Nice!
LOL, if you're gonna plagiarize, you should at least link to the source BIG. Let me guess, was that from the anti-Mangano rag known as Newsday? The way it becomes 50/50 or close to that, is through common everyday sales taxes, big ticket items or repairs, and other one-time fees that we incur throughout the year.

BUt YES! You got it! Even though the county property taxes have only increased twice in the last 9 years(one a major increase), our taxes still go up through inflation (higher sales taxes). Then you have the people saying , "oh, it's just another $60", my as$. It's $60 this year, $90 the next year, $120 the year after and so on... until our county obligation is doubled by 2020...without getting to the root of the problem, which is the excessive spending by the county (and other districts). It's about principal here more than anything. We shouldn't capitulate and and further enable the excessive spending going on in the county. That's what people don't get when they claim that county taxes have not gone up in 8 years; they actually have gone up a lot. Probably doubled in the last 8 years from gas taxes and higher sales tax collections over that time period.

Last edited by Pequaman; 01-27-2011 at 11:42 PM..

Old 01-27-2011, 11:37 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,892,286 times
what portion of sales tax goes back to the county?

Old 01-27-2011, 11:38 PM

Quote:
How could you possibly spend nothing, ever, and pay squat in sales tax? You drive around a lot I thought? That's $9.50 in taxes avg per fill up, how much of that goes to the county? $2-$3 per fill. I'm assuming you eat too. The county takes in over $1 Billion in sales taxes and $800M in property taxes. That adds up to about $2200 sales tax per household.
LOL, yeah - I don't mean I literally buy NOTHING. I do buy lots of tax deductible gasoline. Other than that - personal expense-wise - cigarettes, food, $50-$60 on clothes maybe 3 times a year at most, batting cages, uh...movies maybe twice a year. Cable bill, cell phone, car insurance (to tell you the truth I'm not even sure if there's a local sales tax on these). I really don't spend a lot of money, I live like it's the Great Depression... I have a 9 year old computer and the same TV from when I was in high school. Most of my furniture came from the Goodwill in Colonie, NY and cost under $100. Everything I make goes either back into something else I think I'll make money on or "under the mattress" as Crooks would say (although not literally... please don't rob me anyone, there's nothing here). But yeah, I do buy SOME things - what I meant was that my contributions to sales tax aren't anywhere close to someone who has a family with kids they're buying crap for all the time, a wife who drops $800 a week at Roosevelt Field, blah blah blah... I'm only paying someone else's property taxes as a part of my rent so I couldn't really do an accurate split of total "taxes" either.

Quote:
What I mean is also, I understand the property tax is viewed as 65-35 or 70-30 in some districts, but a tax is a tax. We are paying for services and compared to what we pay in total, the school tax is about 55-45, 50-50.
Well than what about income tax? A part of both the state and federal gets kicked back in as aid to both the county and school districts... that would have to factor in it too if you wanna look at things that way. You can't pick and choose what you want to include... but then you'd get to the point of being totally absurd.

Nothing that is funded through property taxes is solely funded through property taxes. That's nothing new...

Old 01-28-2011, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
what portion of sales tax goes back to the county?
4% to the county, 4.25% to the state, 3/8% to the MTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
LOL, yeah - I don't mean I literally buy NOTHING. I do buy lots of tax deductible gasoline. Other than that - personal expense-wise - cigarettes, food, $50-$60 on clothes maybe 3 times a year at most, batting cages, uh...movies maybe twice a year. Cable bill, cell phone, car insurance (to tell you the truth I'm not even sure if there's a local sales tax on these). I really don't spend a lot of money, I live like it's the Great Depression... I have a 9 year old computer and the same TV from when I was in high school. Most of my furniture came from the Goodwill in Colonie, NY and cost under $100. Everything I make goes either back into something else I think I'll make money on or "under the mattress" as Crooks would say (although not literally... please don't rob me anyone, there's nothing here). But yeah, I do buy SOME things - what I meant was that my contributions to sales tax aren't anywhere close to someone who has a family with kids they're buying crap for all the time, a wife who drops $800 a week at Roosevelt Field, blah blah blah... I'm only paying someone else's property taxes as a part of my rent so I couldn't really do an accurate split of total "taxes" either.

Well than what about income tax? A part of both the state and federal gets kicked back in as aid to both the county and school districts... that would have to factor in it too if you wanna look at things that way. You can't pick and choose what you want to include... but then you'd get to the point of being totally absurd.

Nothing that is funded through property taxes is solely funded through property taxes. That's nothing new...
Sean, you are great man! We are trying to cut down too, but a couple new appliances were much needed, new tires, 1 major/moderate car repair, a couple new pieces of furniture and all the other expenses that come along with life.

Your point about NY kicking back though, how much do you think we pay to NY and federal ? The state sales tax portion alone is $1 Billion. I bet there is a net outflow. I didn't include kickbacks because we pay so much out, that it is either close to a net-neutral relationship between the county or we are actually losing on that front. Like take a pack of cigs. That's 100% tax. About $2 per pack goes to the state, $2 to the county, $.80 Federal? Somewhere around there. 1/pack a day? That's $1500 in taxes a year for a smoker, $700 to the county. Add in state income tax and all the other NYS taxes.
The point of this thread was mainly a response to this post here> http://www.city-data.com/forum/17610678-post49.html

I-Love is right on a lot of things in her post. Like getting the highest paid admin down from Governor-type pay scales and other excesses. But the school taxes are not consuming as much of our total taxes as people think they are.

I'm tired and way past my abnormal bed time. See you.

Last edited by Pequaman; 01-28-2011 at 12:14 AM..

Old 01-28-2011, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Sean, you are great man! We are trying to cut down too, but a couple new appliances were much needed, new tires, 1 major/moderate car repair, a couple new pieces of furniture and all the other expenses that come along with life.
I'm only saving up for when I get disgustingly rich somehow, LOL. Of course, once I hit the Warren Buffet level, Ed Mangano can balance his budget strictly off me buying blimp fuel.

Quote:
Your point about NY kicking back though, how much do you think we pay to NY and federal ? The state sales tax portion alone is $1 Billion. I bet there is a net outflow. I didn't include kickbacks because we pay so much out, that it is either close to a net-neutral relationship between the county or we are actually losing on that front. Like take a pack of cigs. That's 100% tax. About $2 per pack goes to the state, $2 to the county, $.80 Federal? Somewhere around there. 1/pack a day? That's $1500 in taxes a year for a smoker, $700 to the county. Add in state income tax and all the other NYS taxes.
The point of this thread was mainly a response to this post here> http://www.city-data.com/forum/17610678-post49.html

I-Love is right on a lot of things in her post. Like getting the highest paid admin down from Governor-type pay scales and other excesses. But the school taxes are not consuming as much of our total taxes as people think they are.

I'm tired and way past my abnormal bed time. See you.
We pay out more than our share of what comes back, most of the state aid goes north... but still - we do pay into it and it does come back in some form to make up a chunk of the school budget! If you were gonna do a completely thorough breakdown of where ALL taxes go, stuff like that would have to be included. I don't have the charts for Nassau County or any school districts, but I have seen the funding for the MTA and federal/state make up an enormous portion of it's budget... and that's something that actually generates it's own revenue beyond local taxes, unlike a school district.

I know what you're saying, and I agree with the fundamental point you're really trying to make with it (the county/town budget is a lot higher than it would appear) - but I think everyone already realized this. The non-property taxes are an accepted evil of everyone's life, and they are way ridiculous too. When people talk about the 70/30 split, they're not trying to diminish that... they're just commenting on the property taxes solely. When I_Love mentioned "taxes" in that thread, I think it was pretty obvious what she was referring to...

Old 01-28-2011, 01:43 AM

22,193 posts, read 19,476,372 times
Quote:
LOL, if you're gonna plagiarize, you should at least link to the source BIG. Let me guess, was that from the anti-Mangano rag known as Newsday? The way it becomes 50/50 or close to that, is through common everyday sales taxes, big ticket items or repairs, and other one-time fees that we incur throughout the year.

BUt YES! You got it! Even though the county property taxes have only increased twice in the last 9 years(one a major increase), our taxes still go up through inflation (higher sales taxes). Then you have the people saying , "oh, it's just another $60", my as$. It's $60 this year, $90 the next year, $120 the year after and so on... until our county obligation is doubled by 2020...without getting to the root of the problem, which is the excessive spending by the county (and other districts). It's about principal here more than anything. We shouldn't capitulate and and further enable the excessive spending going on in the county. That's what people don't get when they claim that county taxes have not gone up in 8 years; they actually have gone up a lot. Probably doubled in the last 8 years from gas taxes and higher sales tax collections over that time period.

The part Big Mike put in bold comes from the FAQ section on the mynassauproperty.com website. In other words, its coming directly from the Mangano administration.

One thing I do find quite amazing is you seem so dead set against an increase in the Nassau County property taxes by 3.9%, but give John Venditto a free ride for jacking the TOB Property taxes by more than 40% over the last few years. Go to the mynassauproperty.com site break out the County and TOB taxes, for the past few years, the site allows you to go back to 2005. Its really amazing at what has happened in the TOB compared to the county and see the differences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island