Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 10:21 AM

57 posts, read 103,614 times

Advertisements

I've never been to LIC and I'm inquiring due to the prospects of a possible relocation through work.

I currently live in a Chicago suburb in a single family home with excellent public schools. A typical home like mine (4 bdrm, 2.5 btrm) went for 350K at the height of the market in 2006. My kids go to public schools.

Any suburbs out there like Naperville is to Chicago, within one hour commute to LIC or Manhattan? What are home/rental prices like in this area?

Much obliged.

Last edited by windycityfan; 04-27-2011 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: to add a sentence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 10:24 AM

36 posts, read 225,732 times
i'd stay in Chicago if i were you to be honest

Old 04-27-2011, 10:34 AM

405 posts, read 1,164,025 times
LIC is in NYC, part of the borough of Queens.
There are numerous suburbs within an hour commute by train, there are fewer burbs within an hour commute by car. None of them will be like Naperville.

Generally speaking, I'd look at..
Queens - Bayside, Douglaston
Nassau County - Depends on your price range.
Westchester County - Depends on your price range.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:43 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,009,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llaurenn View Post
i'd stay in Chicago if i were you to be honest
^^^ Take this advice. You will be hard pressed to find a home for 350K that is 4 Bdrm/2 Bath within an hour commute of LIC/Manhattan with taxes of no less than 8-9K annually in a suburb of LI. Maybe Queens, but NYC schools are hardly excellent, heck even some LI school districts aren't excellent, good, but not all are excellent.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:10 AM

166 posts, read 533,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
^^^ Take this advice. You will be hard pressed to find a home for 350K that is 4 Bdrm/2 Bath within an hour commute of LIC/Manhattan with taxes of no less than 8-9K annually in a suburb of LI. Maybe Queens, but NYC schools are hardly excellent, heck even some LI school districts aren't excellent, good, but not all are excellent.
I totally agree with these assessments, unless your kids can somehow get themselves into a magnet school within NYC (Hunter or Sty), I see no chance of finding another $350k 4bd home in a school district that is considered "excellent".

If you decide to rent a house in an "excellent" school district with 4bd, then I would say somewhere around $3k/month? Very rough guess. Might be lower. Might be incrementally higher.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:13 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
LIC is a pain in the neck to get to....your budget is going to ensure a hellacious commute.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:16 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,009,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
LIC is a pain in the neck to get to....your budget is going to ensure a hellacious commute.
How is it a pain? Take LIRR or drive or a combination of LIRR/NYC Transit.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:04 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
I know a couple of people who work/have worked there and detested the commute. IN fact, a place I was temping at a few years ago went out of business...a bunch of people went to work in LIC, but hated the commute so much they scared off some other potential employees from the closed-up shop.

So, purely anecdotal I admit.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:14 PM

166 posts, read 533,112 times
I used to live in LIC so I am familiar with general transportation to/from LIC.

If you happen to live near a LIRR line that happens to stop on the Woodside stop (so that you can transfer to the 7 train), and your employer happens to have a flexible work schedule, then yeah, it's doable within 1 hour. If not, then yeah, the commute will be very uncomfortable, if not prone to significant delays if you miss a train.

Cars are not an option unless you start your workday at 7am. Trying to find parking during work hours is basically a fruitless attempt. It's amazing how many luxury cars you will find parked in dead end alleys of LIC during the work week, and completely empty during evenings and weekends.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:39 PM

863 posts, read 2,108,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Wow do you work in LIC. Well I work in LIC and live in Deer Park and with the right train, my commute is 1hr each way. There a multiple trains going to hunters point in the morning and multiple leaving in the evening. You can also take the subway to Woodside and take the 7 train from there. I don't think your budget would be any worse off than if you drove 15miles to work in either direction these days.

So all in all you would be fine to work there. The best part is when there are issues at pen the train there is never affected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island