Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 07:42 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,805,176 times

Advertisements

Is it me or is Long island getting very run down looking. No matter where you go,there are for rent, for sale signs everywhere. Property values are down, many people are trying to keep their heads above water but everyone seems jaded and angry.

I know I am planning on leaving next year. After 25 years here, its been good to me. But in the past few years it seems as if the quality of life just isnt here for me anymore.

Taxes have gone up, insurance costs have gone up, we are getting less and less for our dollar. There is only so much a middle class family can take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 08:06 AM

852 posts, read 1,443,535 times
Where are you moving to?

Old 02-13-2011, 08:36 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Maybe now that you have decided to leave the area you are looking at it with more open eyes..

Where are you considering to move to?

Old 02-13-2011, 09:50 AM

592 posts, read 1,814,549 times
I don't think it's just you. I love LI, don't get me wrong. But my DH and I have been snowbirds for a few years and when I'm away from LI I do miss it terribly, but when I get back every spring it honestly does take me a week or more to get used to the filth everywhere. And, we're fortunate to be in a very beautiful part of LI. Still, the sides of the roads are littered and filthy, the potholes every spring are plentiful, to say the least, housing is ridiculous for what you get, and just about everything looks old and run down. BUT, it's where my family, lifelong friends, and all my favorite and familiar places are. For me, and this is strictly a personal thing, of course, no matter where else I go, LI is HOME, regardless of what's going on here.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:07 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,805,176 times
We are either moving to France or moving west ; where to ; I dont know as we are researching other areas now. We are fortunate enough to be from ireland so we can live anywhere in the EU. But we are also naturalized citizens and our children were born here. We have no family here so no ties in that regard.

I love the ocean ; and the closeness to Manhatten. But thats really all I love about Long island.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:15 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,008,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Is it me or is Long island getting very run down looking. No matter where you go,there are for rent, for sale signs everywhere. Property values are down, many people are trying to keep their heads above water but everyone seems jaded and angry.

I know I am planning on leaving next year. After 25 years here, its been good to me. But in the past few years it seems as if the quality of life just isnt here for me anymore.

Taxes have gone up, insurance costs have gone up, we are getting less and less for our dollar. There is only so much a middle class family can take.
It's not you, it's a sign of the times......economy has been in the crapper for 3+ years, goverment has and continues to be a lier - saved or created 3 million jobs, things are getting better - then you hear only 36,000 new jobs created in a country with 300 million people, if you have money the bank is giving you zilch while it charges you for anything you might really need, food costs up, taxes up, heating costs up, insurance costs (home, car, liability) - up, job losses - up, unemployment level - down; yeah right. No job or less hours at the job, means less spending money and less money available to spruce the neighborhood up with.

Imagine! - buying a home in the last few years, paying 450K for it, only to see/hear the news and then confimation comes in the form of your local real estate agent crowing about that recent comparable sale made for 325K. Top that off with the need to finance your kids college education or the need for some reliable transportation that you were going to finance with a home equity loan - just one problem, the bank says you have zero home equity - now what?

Can't say I'd be happy and content if I was living that nightmare.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:52 PM

929 posts, read 2,068,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
It's not you, it's a sign of the times......economy has been in the crapper for 3+ years, goverment has and continues to be a lier - saved or created 3 million jobs, things are getting better - then you hear only 36,000 new jobs created in a country with 300 million people, if you have money the bank is giving you zilch while it charges you for anything you might really need, food costs up, taxes up, heating costs up, insurance costs (home, car, liability) - up, job losses - up, unemployment level - down; yeah right. No job or less hours at the job, means less spending money and less money available to spruce the neighborhood up with.

Imagine! - buying a home in the last few years, paying 450K for it, only to see/hear the news and then confimation comes in the form of your local real estate agent crowing about that recent comparable sale made for 325K. Top that off with the need to finance your kids college education or the need for some reliable transportation that you were going to finance with a home equity loan - just one problem, the bank says you have zero home equity - now what?

Can't say I'd be happy and content if I was living that nightmare.
Wow, you just put me in a really depressed mood. Ooooh, Angry Birds has a new update!!!

Old 02-13-2011, 01:19 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
Quote:
Is it me or is Long island getting very run down looking.
I'd say LI has looked run down in many places since the mid-90s. Not everywhere, of course, but many places. And some places, like downtown Bay Shore, seem to be on their way back up after hitting a brutally low point. It really depends on where you look. Yet overall, I do think it's looking a little dismal. The aura is worse in wintertime, too, when there isn't much greenery to make up for it.

And one of your options is France? Lucky you!

Old 02-13-2011, 01:27 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,421,847 times
Quote:
We are either moving to France or moving west ; where to ; I dont know as we are researching other areas now. We are fortunate enough to be from ireland so we can live anywhere in the EU. But we are also naturalized citizens and our children were born here. We have no family here so no ties in that regard.

I love the ocean ; and the closeness to Manhatten. But thats really all I love about Long island.
Like the beach and the City.

Try Delaware, $350K buys twice as much homes, 75% much lower taxes, a few hours driving to the City, and it's coastal.

Dunno, maybe it's not so run down for you.

Last edited by gag; 02-13-2011 at 01:45 PM..

Old 02-13-2011, 01:40 PM

929 posts, read 2,068,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
I'd say LI has looked run down in many places since the mid-90s. Not everywhere, of course, but many places. And some places, like downtown Bay Shore, seem to be on their way back up after hitting a brutally low point. It really depends on where you look. Yet overall, I do think it's looking a little dismal. The aura is worse in wintertime, too, when there isn't much greenery to make up for it.

And one of your options is France? Lucky you!
I think Long Island is in that zone where it's not new enough to be all sparkly and it's not old enough yet to have charm. Imagine a day in the future where we're all living in 100% carbon fiber robo-domes and we are nostalgic for the old world charm of a 1960's split ranch with a flushing toilet bowl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island