Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 11:48 AM

2 posts, read 8,414 times

Advertisements

Is anyone else having trouble finding employment out there??? I have applied to every store, every business, have supplied my resume, and still NO luck. Why do I keep getting told that I am overqualified for a job? I have held a couple of jobs in my career... nothing part-time. All full-time, no small grocery store jobs or retail jobs. I have stayed at each of my jobs for an average of 3 years... I wanna stay. Unfortunately, in my construction industry, business's start up and go out of business quickly. It is hard to find a job with some sense of job security. My last boss told me a week ago that I was getting laid off... and only paid me 1/2 of the wages he owed me. I worked for this guy for 3 1/2 years, why would he do that to me??? Why cant I find a boss who is honest and appreciates a hard worker that breaks his butt all the time. Everyone just wants to step on eachother and scam the next guy... where have all the good guys gone????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 02:05 PM

128 posts, read 234,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBENSON2008 View Post
Unfortunately, in my construction industry, business's start up and go out of business quickly.
Many construction industries are "Hit and Run" they use illegal’s for labor, make a quick buck here and there then fold when things get "hot"
These new immigrants are taking most the jobs you spoke off, they have no problem working 12 hours a day, don’t ask for overtime pay, insurance, and can sleep 8 to a room and be more comfortable then they were at home.
If they get hurt on the job the employers just dump them on a hospital doorstep.

Employers like that idea, they get to pocket more $$$
I would suggest if you need to find work in construction learn Spanish, leave the country and sneak back in as an illegal and give one of Allure home improvements installers a call.

You have to remember the "Partys Over" for the construction industry on Long Island do to the recession.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:14 PM

2 posts, read 8,414 times
Yeah you are definetly right when you say the "party is over"! I used to average about $1200 a week... now maybe $300. Jose is running off with my job and there is like nothing I can do about it...LOL!! Does anyone know of a place left in the united states where the mexicans have not taken over the construction industry.... besides wyoming...LOL...

Old 02-23-2008, 04:13 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,468,962 times
They're in Wyoming, too! LOL!

If you're looking for something to get you through, there are plenty of Customer Service type jobs --- 1-800-FLOWERS will be hiring seasonal workers soon (their call center is in Westbury), there's Metro One Telecommunications (a company in Hauppauge that does "411" for cell phones and for Optimum Voice --- they suck big time, but once you get good, you can make $15 or more an hour & tons of OT)..... There are always Customer Service/Call Center jobs out there. They don't pay that well (usually starting at $10/hr if you have no experience), but it's something to pay the bills until you find something better.

If I were you, I'd dump the construction business. It's a crappy industry to be in and doesn't pay a fraction of what it used to. They're all hiring illegals and paying them 1/3 or 1/4 of what they would have had to pay an American worker. Find another skill.... maybe get a Commercial Driver License or apply for county jobs or the LIRR.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll be OK.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:01 AM

999 posts, read 2,357,562 times
I gotta ask this question......

I love this answer.....
Quote:
Jose is running off with my job and there is like nothing I can do about it
Nothing you can do? or you're scared to make the call....give me the name of the company and i'll be more then HAPPY to make the call for you....

I can't believe you guy's sit by and allow the boss or anyone else to do this to you....

Oh yeah i know ..."he's a good boss" riiiiiight then why is he breaking the law?

Moderator cut: please no phone numbers
]

Last edited by nancy thereader; 02-26-2008 at 05:13 PM..

Old 02-25-2008, 12:03 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,156,915 times
Im sure many of calls have been made already. The real question is what do they do about it? .....NOTHING!
I know a Suffolk County cop who works the Brentwood area. They pull people over all the time with no id, no licenses etc. Guess what happens? They are left to drive away(not by choice). No one wants to do anything about it. Remember this when you vote people. Its only going to get worse!!

Old 02-25-2008, 02:28 PM

999 posts, read 2,357,562 times
Well if you're calling the police for a immigrant issue they might not handle it...ICE will...

Quote:
They pull people over all the time with no id, no licenses etc. Guess what happens? They are left to drive away(not by choice).
Do you have proof of this....i was just ticketed for not having my license and was given an appearence ticket, mind you when i got to court i was dismissed...but i was given a ticket....
Now if you are saying that SC is not arresting or even giving a ticket to those that definately need then we have a problem...

Old 02-25-2008, 03:22 PM

The cops dont take or ticket them because they have no place to put them, and the goverment wont pay to jail, feed and water them. The cops nab them and the INS refuses to come and get them and says "Let em go"
In Tennesee an illegal can go to DMV and get a car regestered with no proof of insurence or ID....Its INSANE.
Bush and all the rest of his border state people are trying flood and bankrupt us with these people then say "Creation of a Full North American Union" is the only way you can save your $$.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:48 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoastBeefJackson View Post
The cops dont take or ticket them because they have no place to put them, and the goverment wont pay to jail, feed and water them. The cops nab them and the INS refuses to come and get them and says "Let em go"
In Tennesee an illegal can go to DMV and get a car regestered with no proof of insurence or ID....Its INSANE.
Bush and all the rest of his border state people are trying flood and bankrupt us with these people then say "Creation of a Full North American Union" is the only way you can save your $$.
Absolutely right! Thats why the police officers are told from Captains & other higher ups to just let them go. And these illegal imigrants know this. Its a much bigger problem than what the public is aware of.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Absolutely right! Thats why the police officers are told from Captains & other higher ups to just let them go. And these illegal imigrants know this. Its a much bigger problem than what the public is aware of.
Thats EXACLY what happened in Port Washington, the public was clueless, newspapers wont comment on it. You CANT EVEN SAY CERTAIN THINGS IN THIS FORUM (read the charter)
Now the police are in handcuffs and the latin gangs are starting to run the town.

I have 2 friends "on the job" up there.....they are so fed up with the higher up brass and INS.
INS will only take them if they are wanted for murder or sex crime.

This is winter wait till this summer !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island