Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 02:34 PM

157 posts, read 458,006 times

Advertisements

I am a commisioned salesman, and I HATE going into furniture stores to "barter"... but I also dont like the idea of paying full full price on things that i dont need too. I am looking to set up a guest bedroom... any suggestions on where i should look? I am not as worried about durability as much as i am the look.

To give you an idea, I am hoping to get a full size dresser for 299 - 399 (not 599 that i have seen alot of at the furniture stores). I realise I will get pressed wood as oppose to real wood... and that is ok.

Any ideas? I am from Ridge, but I can travel at least a bit. I have been told about Ikea... any other ideas?

thanks in advance,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 02:35 PM

327 posts, read 1,063,601 times
Bobs

Old 05-15-2011, 02:43 PM

157 posts, read 458,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raiser View Post
Bobs
Good idea... is this the type of place that you are still suppose to work the price down? Anyone know?

Any other places?

thanks!

Old 05-15-2011, 03:55 PM

102 posts, read 297,117 times
I would shop Antique stores or Salvation Army, myself. Four years ago, my wife was in the market for dressers. We happened on to an Antique Store in Freeport that had 2 solid oak dressers for $400.00 OTD. One was in perfect shape made @ 1900, the other was made @ 1860 and needed a coating of Tung oil to make it look great. We still have them and they are as solid now as when they were built. Better than anything at Bob's or Raymour and Flanagan. Antique shops are reluctant to buy large pieces of furniture. When they do, they get tired of having them around, take up too much room. If you hit a place right,you can get great deals on large pieces of furniture.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:06 PM

311 posts, read 1,019,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonylongisland View Post
Good idea... is this the type of place that you are still suppose to work the price down? Anyone know?

Any other places?

thanks!
Bob's will NOT negotiate prices. They say their prices are already low. You will not get them to budge a dollar. We bought a couple of pieces from Bobs. There is nothing wrong with what we got, but we will NEVER deal with them again.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:27 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,519,532 times
Ikea

Old 05-15-2011, 07:56 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,800,048 times
I'd start at Home Depot. With the pallets in the yard, the tarps in aisle 7b and all of the advice that you get from "Designing on a dime",
(cable tv), you should be able to set yourself up with the ultimate fashion look. I have a 12'x12' blue poly tarp over my bed, I'm waiting
for my Social Security check to buy the mosquito netting, because I love the "African Queen" look, Humphrey B. and Katherine, coming
down the river here in my 40 foot trailer parked securely in no man's land. Getting "pressed-wood" is like getting luncheon meat, if it's all
that you can afford, go for it, a sparsly developed living room is like a belly that needs appeasement, a front room that could use some
new curtains. America is clad with flakeboard, we've baited and switched our values to a state where, if it looks good, it is good. You'd
be absolutely amazed at what can be found placed alongside the curb on garbage night. Don't lose sight of the fact that we can sit in
front of our televisions, and watch a ghetto trailer turned into a Mcmansion, that all things are possible through a belief in God, and a
good credit rating. My suggestion is that you turn to the world's foremost provider of furniture and go with the current trend, the Chinese,
those people who make everything that we will ever need. Be a real American, buy the Chinese product...

Old 05-15-2011, 08:25 PM

929 posts, read 2,068,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucew View Post
Bob's will NOT negotiate prices. They say their prices are already low. You will not get them to budge a dollar. We bought a couple of pieces from Bobs. There is nothing wrong with what we got, but we will NEVER deal with them again.
Will you not buy from them because they wouldn't negotiate on the price? Or because you don't like their products?

Just curious!

My wife and I had a living room furniture set from a very expensive store in the furniture district in NYC. It lasted 4 years, and was falling apart in every way. The stitching pulling out, the leather had ripped straight across one of the cushions, and the one leg on each piece had broken. We replaced it with some low cost furniture from Bobs to last us until we moved, and still have it in the den. To date, no problems what so ever.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:30 PM

327 posts, read 1,063,601 times
I bought my kitchen table from them.. initially it looks really solid and nice.. after a year of use and one move its not looking as nice. You get what you pay for. I agree with looking at Salvation Army and Saint Vincents.. nothing beats solid furniture.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:49 PM

102 posts, read 297,117 times
The nice thing about antique furniture, unless you are a purist, it is easy to refinish. I usually rub the furniture down with mineral spirits on a scotch brite pad, and then rub it down with tung oil and let dry or mix 2 parts polyurethane to 8 parts mineral spirits. Rub that mixture on with a rag 5-6 coats and you will have a deep beautiful finish with very little effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: