Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 06:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,194 times

Advertisements

I have a condo and a house to sell on Long Island. Real Estate quoted me 4% on the condo. Now I have my mother's house (estate) to sell. Would it be inappropriate for me to tell the realtor that she can have the one home for 4% or both for 3% each? How negotiable are these realtors?
Thanks
Ray
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 06:42 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,644,730 times
It certainly can't hurt to try - if they're smart they'll give you a package deal. They all want their market share and to take that market share away from the next realtor. Be sure to sign up for no more than 3 months at a time - you don't want to be committed for a long time if the realtor you sign with isn't good.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:50 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,161,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitecapt View Post
I have a condo and a house to sell on Long Island. Real Estate quoted me 4% on the condo. Now I have my mother's house (estate) to sell. Would it be inappropriate for me to tell the realtor that she can have the one home for 4% or both for 3% each? How negotiable are these realtors?
Thanks
Ray
Commissions are negotiable - nothing new here. So asking never hurts.
That said, not all agents will accept a cut of 1% each, since it's advisable to offer 2% to the selling side; that would leave 1% to the listing agent, which generally has to be split with the broker who holds the license. Marketing expenses x2 for two 3-months listing? In a market that is saturated with inventory?? Maybe negotiate each listing individually?
Something to think about.

FYI, when agents from other states hear that 4% is not uncommon here they're surprised to say the least. Elsewhere, 6% is more common, with an occasional 5%...

Old 04-02-2011, 08:31 PM

929 posts, read 2,068,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Commissions are negotiable - nothing new here. So asking never hurts.
That said, not all agents will accept a cut of 1% each, since it's advisable to offer 2% to the selling side; that would leave 1% to the listing agent, which generally has to be split with the broker who holds the license. Marketing expenses x2 for two 3-months listing? In a market that is saturated with inventory?? Maybe negotiate each listing individually?
Something to think about.

FYI, when agents from other states hear that 4% is not uncommon here they're surprised to say the least. Elsewhere, 6% is more common, with an occasional 5%...
That's what happens when every other housewife becomes an agent and drives the commission rate down. I have a friend who owns an agency, she has 46 agents. Only 6 are full-time. Crazy times

Old 04-02-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEconomist View Post
That's what happens when every other housewife becomes an agent and drives the commission rate down. I have a friend who owns an agency, she has 46 agents. Only 6 are full-time. Crazy times
Long Island still has over 20,000 agents - down from almost 28,000.

Lowering the commission as prices went up was easier to swallow.
Now that prices have come down significantly (and marketing and overhead costs have gone up noticeably), the expectations for continued lower commission put a squeeze on the income potential for those of us still making our living as a full-time Realtor.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:41 PM

53 posts, read 86,786 times
Quote:
Long Island still has over 20,000 agents - down from almost 28,000.

Lowering the commission as prices went up was easier to swallow.
Now that prices have come down significantly (and marketing and overhead costs have gone up noticeably), the expectations for continued lower commission put a squeeze on the income potential for those of us still making our living as a full-time Realtor.
The part timers should take a walk. Most of them are clueless.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baabaabooey View Post
The part timers should take a walk. Most of them are clueless.

Just my 2 cents.

Would help us full-timers and I wouldn't complain

Some were full-timers but became part-timers as a means to survival...

Old 04-02-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Would help us full-timers and I wouldn't complain

Some were full-timers but became part-timers as a means to survival...
Post was meant as a compliment to you then

Old 04-02-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baabaabooey View Post
Post was meant as a compliment to you then

Thank you!

Old 04-02-2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Thank you!

You're quite welcome ma'am. Your posts have already helped me. Whether you know it or not.

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island