Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is 100k a large salary for Long Island?
Yes 42 25.93%
No 120 74.07%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 05:59 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
70% say nay.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

Interesting since everyone's screaming bloody murder about a Teacher with a Masters making 100 grand (but if its a Cop with a GED thats just dandy).

This board is completely FOS and youre all hypocrites.

The fact that the top 2% has the entire working class turning on each other is nauseating. I really thought my LI brothers and sisters were were smarter than this.I guess that LI education really has failed us.

Levittown was a lie and you people are sheep.

Crooks
classy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 06:24 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,421,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Talk to employment agencies on LI and see how many jobs they have that are offering $100K and up. Look at all the websites with jobs on LI and see how many listings they have for jobs that are offering $100K and up. Now you tell us how common the $100K jobs are on LI. I would say the more common the jobs are, the less likely it is a "large" salary for this area.
I took a look, and all the jobs listed for $100K + are for chauffeurs for the school administrators and the police.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:33 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Sorry she's out.

But my opinion does mean something....we left because our kids would never be able to afford to live here. We could manage it since we bought so long ago....but all you see on this board are worries about buying a house here from potential first time homeowners. Shouldn't be that fraught of a decision, really.

I don't watch cable news channels....I can form my own opinions.

Now step away from the bar or you're going to have a bad day tomorrow.
Thats fair.

You know what Ill take it back. Its probably important to hear from the ExPats too, all I ask is that you remember your LI POV when responding and try to be current.

Crooks

Old 04-10-2011, 07:04 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,665,649 times
Quote:
79.4%

And I couldnt have dumbed it down any further for the Tea Party.

"Is 100k large?"

Yes?

No?

God Bless Dumfukistan.

Crooks
Wow, what a ruse. Did you spend a week at the Lilah Rose\James O'Keefe seminar for wannabe guerilla journalists?

So, let's see if we have the template:
1. Create a poll with an innocuous question.
2. Pollster then interprets the results filtered through his/her narrowly defined objective so as to "make a point".

Is that it?

Now I am ready for your typical retort filled with non sequiturs, rhetorical questions and references to LI that only you know about.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:06 PM

840 posts, read 2,446,535 times
100k is a fine salary and the fact that we deem it meh says more about LI than anything else. It is what it is.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
Wow, what a ruse. Did you spend a week at the Lilah Rose\James O'Keefe seminar for wannabe guerilla journalists?

So, let's see if we have the template:
1. Create a poll with an innocuous question.
2. Pollster then interprets the results filtered through his/her narrowly defined objective so as to "make a point".

Is that it?

Now I am ready for your typical retort filled with non sequiturs, rhetorical questions and references to LI that only you know about.
More of a lark that a ruse.

77% agree the TP is FOS.
(If Im a journalist were all doomed.)

In summary: 100k is crap on LI unless youre a Teacher then of course its criminal.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:35 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,665,649 times
Quote:

77% agree the TP is FOS.

In summary: 100k is crap on LI unless youre a Teacher then of course its criminal.
Change your poll to:
Is household income of $100k large for Long Island?

I am sure you will get a different response.

Assuming the majority of households where at least one household salary derives from a person employed as a teacher are double income, I can't see how a response to your original poll question implies someone's opinion about teacher's salaries.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
Change your poll to:
Is household income of $100k large for Long Island?

I am sure you will get a different response.

Assuming the majority of households where at least one household salary derives from a person employed as a teacher are double income, I can't see how a response to your original poll question implies someone's opinion about teacher's salaries.
1) This thread is about buying power on LI.

2) If 100k is crap as a single salary then it would be pitiful as a household income.

3) 77.78%

Old 04-10-2011, 08:22 PM

401 posts, read 944,910 times
Quote:

77% agree the TP is FOS.

The answer to the poll question is: NO, 100K salary for LI is not satisfactory.

The response to your other passive/agressive remarks is more complex. In regards to the tongue in cheek statements about teachers: I think people are more outraged about the other benfits, excluding salary, when it comes to teacher benefits. I do not really care if they make over 100K, but what really gets under my skin is the taxpayer's requirement to bail them out in their pension plan if the market is not favorable to them. If they can't take the hit in the market, get out of the game. We should not have to make up the difference. Especially, when we are scrambling to make up the difference in our own 401Ks.

Now, the remark on the Tea Party. Not quite sure how that relates to your poll question, but we now know your opinion on the Tea Party. Maybe that should have been a separate poll/thread.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajimenez View Post
The answer to the poll question is: NO, 100K salary for LI is not satisfactory.

The response to your other passive/agressive remarks is more complex. In regards to the tongue in cheek statements about teachers: I think people are more outraged about the other benfits, excluding salary, when it comes to teacher benefits. I do not really care if they make over 100K, but what really gets under my skin is the taxpayer's requirement to bail them out in their pension plan if the market is not favorable to them. If they can't take the hit in the market, get out of the game. We should not have to make up the difference. Especially, when we are scrambling to make up the difference in our own 401Ks.

Now, the remark on the Tea Party. Not quite sure how that relates to your poll question, but we now know your opinion on the Tea Party. Maybe that should have been a separate poll/thread.
Thats fair.

Cops too.

As for bailouts only the little people get Capitalism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island