Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 10:44 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,688,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
If he wasn't armed,who knows? You would have to take all the break ins and see the end result. There have been many times as well when kids shot their siblings as well. Gun control is a tough one. In suffolk county and maybe all of new york it can take anywhere from 8-12 months to go through background checks to get the right to own a gun.
Only true for a hand gun.On long Island a shot gun or rifle can be bought on the spot after filing out a federal form. Either can be legally kept in your home for the purpose of self defence.A safety course is a good thing to take and offered by many organizations around hunting seasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 11:01 AM

29 posts, read 39,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
why not a 10 and a 46? You know...in case you need the extra firepower.
Because 10mm is more expensive (than .45) and not as common to find. And a 46? Now you're just being silly. A .45 with a JHP will do the job, if the 9mm fails...

Old 04-15-2011, 12:18 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_LOVE_HOTDOGS View Post
Because 10mm is more expensive (than .45) and not as common to find. And a 46? Now you're just being silly. A .45 with a JHP will do the job, if the 9mm fails...
I never joke. Especially about guns. I love them too much. Kind of like you and hot dogs.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:25 PM

29 posts, read 39,782 times
The "Now your Kidding" comment was in reference to the .46... I'm not familiar with that size round...and didn't think it even existed...

And yes, you're right...I do love me some Hot Dogs!!!!

Old 04-15-2011, 12:49 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
If he wasn't armed,who knows? You would have to take all the break ins and see the end result. There have been many times as well when kids shot their siblings as well. Gun control is a tough one. In suffolk county and maybe all of new york it can take anywhere from 8-12 months to go through background checks to get the right to own a gun.
The man's dog was shot -- that leads me to believe that the dirtbags who did this had every intention of harming the tenant. If the tenant hadn't been armed, chances are we would be reading about him being found dead.

I was raised in a home with handguns and long arms and to this day, have licensed hand guns as well as long arms in the house. Parents who bring such instruments into the house must take the time to teach their children about the proper useage of the firearm as well as gun safety. Plus they need to take proper measures to secure the unloaded firearm and keep ammunition out of reach of curious children.

The rare situations where a child shoots another is usually the result of an incompetent gun owner failing to secure the weapon OR the result of a child getting into an illegally owned gun belonging to someone who never should have had it in the first place.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:48 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
The man's dog was shot -- that leads me to believe that the dirtbags who did this had every intention of harming the tenant. If the tenant hadn't been armed, chances are we would be reading about him being found dead.

I was raised in a home with handguns and long arms and to this day, have licensed hand guns as well as long arms in the house. Parents who bring such instruments into the house must take the time to teach their children about the proper useage of the firearm as well as gun safety. Plus they need to take proper measures to secure the unloaded firearm and keep ammunition out of reach of curious children.

The rare situations where a child shoots another is usually the result of an incompetent gun owner failing to secure the weapon OR the result of a child getting into an illegally owned gun belonging to someone who never should have had it in the first place.
I do agree that usually when a kid shoots another it is because of a negligent owner but it does happen, and it happens more than a break-in/murder situation. Mind you, i'm a veteran (air force) and not against gun ownership but I do think laws should be strict and people should be scrutinized in their purchases.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:49 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
Only true for a hand gun.On long Island a shot gun or rifle can be bought on the spot after filing out a federal form. Either can be legally kept in your home for the purpose of self defence.A safety course is a good thing to take and offered by many organizations around hunting seasons.
I was aware of this, and it's based on many factors including how many bullets you can load at a time as well as concealment laws.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:01 PM

886 posts, read 2,647,354 times
I own firearms. What I own is known only by my brother and my bride.That's all one needs to reveal.
The gov't has no business knowing what is behind my front door.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:36 PM

62 posts, read 113,691 times
i have a fear of being shot by firearms sometimes. mostly if i am near a "lirr" station, or if i cant figure out my gps and end up getting lost in a non-"upper middle class" neighbrhood. i rmembr when i wuz trying 2 get my microsoft office certification so i could bcome an "administrative" assistent i had 2 go 2 this totally scary building in east meadow (my hubby calss it "east ghetoo" lol.) and it was next 2 a deli with foreign language signs in the window. i think it wuz a "bodega". ne way, i wuz 2 sketched out 2 go back after the first time. i knew sooner or l8r i would b shot or mugged or even WORSE

on the other hand, i do not like when ppl are too "into" guns. do u kno wut i mean? i dont want 2 live in an ethnic crime neighbrhood but i dont want 2 live in a neighbrhood where there r 2 many "dale earnhardt" bumper stickrs. that does not portray an "upper imddle class" desirability

Old 04-15-2011, 04:39 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,218 times
LOL....Most Long Islanders can't even handle a spoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island