Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 01:28 AM

8 posts, read 28,546 times

Advertisements

My husband got offered two jobs. One in Florida and one in New York. We both would rather move to New York than Florida. It's too hot down there, the education system isn't all that great, and we didn't really like what we saw when we looked for places. However, New York is way more appealing to me. His job offering is in Hicksville and when we flew up for a few days to look at places I fell in love with Plainview and Farmingdale. I have a few questions though that I'm hoping you guys can help me with.

Which of the two are more affordable?
Which of the two is safer to raise a family? (I am expecting my first in July)

We are looking to rent a place for a few months to see if we really like the area before buying a house.

The most we'd be able to spend a month on a rental is around 2,300.
Once we're sure we like the area we're in and are ready to buy a house,
we will be looking for a place between 380,000 - 450,000. Will we be able
to find a place within that price range or is it too low? We would need a 2 bedroom 2 bath (but 1 bathroom will be fine as well)

How are the school districts in Plainview and Farmingdale?
I'm a middle school teacher and want to be in a good school district.

Also, if you can think of any other towns that would be suitable, I would really appreciate it.

I almost forgot.. are there any bad areas that I should avoid in Plainview or in Farmingdale?

Someone told me that Bay Shore is also a good area but I didn't get to look around there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 06:01 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,534,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyhart View Post
My husband got offered two jobs. One in Florida and one in New York. We both would rather move to New York than Florida. It's too hot down there, the education system isn't all that great, and we didn't really like what we saw when we looked for places. However, New York is way more appealing to me. His job offering is in Hicksville and when we flew up for a few days to look at places I fell in love with Plainview and Farmingdale. I have a few questions though that I'm hoping you guys can help me with.

Which of the two are more affordable?
Which of the two is safer to raise a family? (I am expecting my first in July)

We are looking to rent a place for a few months to see if we really like the area before buying a house.

The most we'd be able to spend a month on a rental is around 2,300.
Once we're sure we like the area we're in and are ready to buy a house,
we will be looking for a place between 380,000 - 450,000. Will we be able
to find a place within that price range or is it too low? We would need a 2 bedroom 2 bath (but 1 bathroom will be fine as well)

How are the school districts in Plainview and Farmingdale?
I'm a middle school teacher and want to be in a good school district.

Also, if you can think of any other towns that would be suitable, I would really appreciate it.

I almost forgot.. are there any bad areas that I should avoid in Plainview or in Farmingdale?

Someone told me that Bay Shore is also a good area but I didn't get to look around there.
My entire family lives in Farmingdale (I moved out east) South Farmingdale is real nice. East Farmingdale is good. Just stay WEST of route 110. All have the same school district (except Northside). The BEST part of F'dale is LENOX Hills. Near N. Side elementry school. F'dale HS has over 2,000+++ students. Taxes are VERY high in Farmindale. They ALL pay over 10K. Not that Plainview is cheaper. Plainview is nice, slightly more $$$$

Bethpage & Massapequa are the next towns over. I'd pick them over Farmingdale. Again, more $$$$

You can get a 2 BR rental in your price range with no problem. You can also get a house in your price range too. Just keep in mind, no matter what town you pick from above, your property taxes are 10K+++++ (AVG.)

Old 12-08-2011, 07:22 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,991,491 times
Hi and welcome to Long Island!!

So... not sure if you've considered the real estate taxes with that home budget...
I think $450k would put you over $2,000 on the mortgage alone, and you have to add another $1,000/mo on top of that for taxes!

If your budget is $2,300/mo then your mortgage should be close to the $300k-$325k range which would be about $1,400/mo and you have $900 left for taxes.

Farmingdale has 5 homes for sale in that price range, of which 3 are short sales... the other 2 are
272 Oakview Ave, Farmingdale, NY 11735 | MLS# 2428917
Lot size is TINY and Subject to Bankruptcy Court Approval... Taxes are $8,759

37 Wall St, Farmingdale, NY 11735 | MLS# 2450203
Tiny kitchen, needs updating throughout. Taxes are a low $6,980. It's only been on the market for 8 days. I feel this is going to sell fast.

Plainview has 1 house under #325k and it's this one:
717 S Oyster Bay Rd, Plainview, NY 11803 | MLS# 2398838
The home is on a BUSY street. Not busy like "no basketball hoop in the street" busy, but busy as in you are on a 4 lane street with CVS, Burger king, McD's, Banks, Gas stations... I would avoid! Taxes are $8,220.

Hope you've already considered taxes with your budget, and this wasn't a rude awakening.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:06 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,696,228 times
Default A map of the Village of Farmingdale in the Town of Oyster Bay, Nassau County

lucyhart, when talking "Farmingdale", please bear in mind that Farmingdale is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where the majority of the places with the community name as part of their mailing address (2,708 acres) are not in the community (696 acres).

Those places that have a "Farmingdale, NY 11735" mailing address that are not in the Village of Farmingdale are in the Hamlet of South Farmingdale and the Hamlet of Plainedge, as well as in the Hamlet of Old Bethpage in the Town of Oyster Bay, Nassau County and in the Hamlet of East Farmingdale and the Hamlet of Wyandanch in the Town of Babylon, Suffolk County.

A map of the Village of Farmingdale in the Town of Oyster Bay, Nassau County:

In case you are unfamiliar with the local geography, I've sent you an explanation of the very, very confusing geography of "Lawn Guyland" as a DM (Direct Message).

Old 12-08-2011, 10:16 AM

Thank you all for your responses.

Spanky- I will check into Bethpage & Massapequa.

Kayo- I have thought about taxes and we should be just fine with them. I have a large inheritance that I've been saving up and haven't spent a single cent of it, and it should help us survive with the high costs of living in NY for a few years.

Walter- Thank you for your PM, I didn't think Long Island would be that confusing with towns!

Also, this may sound like a silly question but I come from a state that only has a license plate on the back, and I know in the state of NY you have one in the back and one in the front. Would that also cost more money than just having one in the back?

And I'd still like referrals to other towns that may be less expensive. We will be fine with the costs in Plainview it seems but it's always nice to save money :P

And what are the bad areas of Plainview?

Old 12-08-2011, 10:20 AM

694 posts, read 1,203,963 times
Default budget

While I agree that 450K mortage is probably 2K monthly payment plus 1K more in property taxes, keep in mind that mortage interest is deductible, and property taxes as well, unless someone is subject to the AMT, alternative minimum tax, in which case, certian deductions are phased out, or disallowed, however, mortgage interest is still deductible under the AMT rules. So, when you are budgeting for the monthly expenditure, you have to reduce it by the tax savings.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:35 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,689,860 times
One thing to keep in mind is Farmingdale and Plainview are both sort of in the middle of Long Island so if you like the water for beach swimming or fishing & boating you might want to explore north or south of those towns.The Oysterbay area is not a bad commute from Hicksville its on the north shore and a very nice town with many older well kept homes.JMHO

Old 12-08-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
One thing to keep in mind is Farmingdale and Plainview are both sort of in the middle of Long Island so if you like the water for beach swimming or fishing & boating you might want to explore north or south of those towns.The Oysterbay area is not a bad commute from Hicksville its on the north shore and a very nice town with many older well kept homes.JMHO
My husband is obsessed with fishing, and honestly I didn't even think about that. Would it be better to move to the North shore or South shore? Is there a big difference price-wise?

Old 12-08-2011, 10:51 AM

405 posts, read 1,164,111 times
Lucyhart,
If you have any specific questions about Farmingdale I would be happy to answer.
If you check my past posts you will find quite a number of them about Farmingdale and the immediate area.

It's hard to go wrong with any of the areas that have been mentioned - let it come down to what you find in terms of a combination of area and home that you like the most.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilTownBlues View Post
Lucyhart,
If you have any specific questions about Farmingdale I would be happy to answer.
If you check my past posts you will find quite a number of them about Farmingdale and the immediate area.

It's hard to go wrong with any of the areas that have been mentioned - let it come down to what you find in terms of a combination of area and home that you like the most.
Thank you. As you can see my main concern is safety and I still haven't heard if any of the places I've mentioned are safe besides what to avoid in Farmingdale. Should I be concerned about any of the areas in Plainview? Is Nassau County generally considered a safe place to live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island