Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 10:25 AM

520 posts, read 1,654,270 times

Advertisements

I am about to have central air installed in my house. Does anyone have any recommendations on what type of unit to get? What seer rating?

I think I am going to with a Carrier unit, but I am unsure of what seer rating and model. One company quoted their base model 13 seer unit. Another said the base models from all companies are garbage and recommended getting better quality than their base model and go with a seer rating closer to 16-17.

I have an 1,100 square foot Morton ranch.

Can anyone offer an help?

What did you have installed in your house?

Last edited by mambwe; 05-13-2011 at 10:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 11:27 AM

19,238 posts, read 17,117,587 times
We have always had carrier and am quite happy. By practice we have leaned towards the mid-grade of units. If your house is not well insulated (windows, walls etc) then you really won't benefit from the savings of the higher end models.

As with any major project get several estimates and try to provide specificss to the contractor so you can compare apples to apples.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:31 AM

3,529 posts, read 5,713,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mambwe View Post
I am about to have central air installed in my house. Does anyone have any recommendations on what type of unit to get? What seer rating?

I think I am going to with a Carrier unit, but I am unsure of what seer rating and model. One company quoted their base model 13 seer unit. Another said the base models from all companies are garbage and recommended getting better quality than their base model and go with a seer rating closer to 16-17.

Get the 16 seer. then you can get the tax break. Where are you located? Did you get more than 1 quote?

Old 05-13-2011, 12:02 PM

520 posts, read 1,654,270 times
Located in Plainview. Got a few quote and still getting a few more.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:17 PM

1,386 posts, read 5,349,392 times
I personally would skip the high SEER units (and did). considering the extra cost that is required to buy them, the tax break doesn't cover the increase fully, and the increased efficiency doesn't save you enough money, mainly the biggest issue is that you are only using it 2-4 months out of the year.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:40 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,168,126 times
I would go with either a Carrier, Rheem or Ruud. You will be able to get away with a 2 1/2 ton unit. Im not crazy about spending the extra money on a higher SEER unit either. The payback is about 10 years and by that time it wil be almost time to replace. Remember a 13 SEER was considered high a few years ago.
I also strongly urge you to get a roof mounted attic fan($180) with a thermostat installed while they are there. This will keep your attic from getting 140 degrees and save on your a.c. running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mambwe View Post

Old 06-30-2012, 05:55 AM

1 posts, read 3,220 times
Default Central air answer

Who you hire can be more important than the brand.

Check out this free buyer's guide about central air conditioning:

Central Air Systems - How to choose the right air conditioning contractor

Old 07-01-2012, 07:12 AM

654 posts, read 2,121,906 times
Default Attic Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
I would go with either a Carrier, Rheem or Ruud. You will be able to get away with a 2 1/2 ton unit. Im not crazy about spending the extra money on a higher SEER unit either. The payback is about 10 years and by that time it wil be almost time to replace. Remember a 13 SEER was considered high a few years ago.
I also strongly urge you to get a roof mounted attic fan($180) with a thermostat installed while they are there. This will keep your attic from getting 140 degrees and save on your a.c. running.
Can you explain this attic fan to me please? I have a fan at the top of my stairs in the ceiling. I have to turn it on each time I want to suck the house air out of the house. Does this attic fan that you are referring to do something different? Thanks-

Old 07-01-2012, 07:26 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,332,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnSells View Post
Can you explain this attic fan to me please? I have a fan at the top of my stairs in the ceiling. I have to turn it on each time I want to suck the house air out of the house. Does this attic fan that you are referring to do something different? Thanks-
The attic fan doesn't suck air out of the living space, it sucks air out of the attic space. Shouldn't be needed if your house has proper soffit/gable/ridge venting (most post-WWII stock plan and developer houses don't).

Old 07-01-2012, 10:30 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,895,872 times
if your attic gets up to 120-140F, then an attic fan will help keep it cool so it doesn't affect the next floor down. It also keeps your air handlers, if in the attic, from having to work harder. But I heard it can be a $400+ install. Our attic is new and seems to have good ventilation without fans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island