Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 06:38 PM

852 posts, read 1,442,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
obviously the fine Syosset constituents voted for this. If you don't live there why complain about it. The people have spoken.
I agree. Taxpaying residents voted for the board of education that negotiated this woman's salary. If this woman's work is worth half a million $$$ to these residents, then why are people who don't live there and it doesn't even affect complaining? People in Syosset have money, they should be able to spend it any way THEY want to!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 07:42 PM

57,260 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
She's worth every penny. You're just jealous you don't live there. But take heart, there is a chance she will retire someday soon and come to RP, looking for a mere $250K a year, whilst she collects her Syosset pension.
The district will never be the same, how will they possibly survive.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:54 PM

57,260 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody516 View Post
I agree. Taxpaying residents voted for the board of education that negotiated this woman's salary. If this woman's work is worth half a million $$$ to these residents, then why are people who don't live there and it doesn't even affect complaining? People in Syosset have money, they should be able to spend it any way THEY want to!
I honestly don't think these wealthy districts care one bit about someone making $500K, we know she isn't worth it but if they don't care....
I would just want to make sure that Syosset is also responsible for her pension. I feel sorry for those making near the median wage in tha district

If I was a teacher I would try to get in the door because there is no oversight at all, same as some of the poorer districts like Centra Islip.
I seem to recall Roslyn was very excited with their superintendents performance before the handcuffs.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:12 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody516 View Post
If you have a moment, please check out some of the comments on the article I had posted. Not everyone is happy about her salary.

Bush won two elections -- not all taxpaying residents voted for him. Same applies for taxpaying citizens and their school district's BoE.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:31 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEconomist View Post
Very true. Almost every budget passed because taxpayers would rather have 7% increases with music, sports, and after school programs than have 9% increase with no programs. When's the last time we got to vote on teachers/administrators salaries? I'd love to see that vote.

Duh, thats all those baby seal eating, fossil fuel burning, KKK member tea partiers who obviously caused the teachers to get 7-8% salary increases to further their own agenda. Kind of like "Gunwalker/Fast and Furious" seems to have been put in to promote the US is the supplier to Mexico.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:52 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,244,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
My bad, I though it was a tax revolt, then I guess it really is just a Klan rally in drag?
; )

Crooks
Great work, once again

Old 06-08-2011, 06:28 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,170,730 times
Default Fail!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Duh, thats all those baby seal eating, fossil fuel burning, KKK member tea partiers who obviously caused the teachers to get 7-8% salary increases to further their own agenda. Kind of like "Gunwalker/Fast and Furious" seems to have been put in to promote the US is the supplier to Mexico.
I am operating under the assumption that most homeowners are aware that the largest portion of their property taxes are coming form their school budgets.

Yes, Syosset can do whatever the hell it sees fit with its ratables, but to think that having a Supt earning more than the POTUS (and 3 times the Governor) isn't setting an Island wide tone of questionable fiscal conservatism that ought to ease on down the road without 1000 Ben Franklins on crack, holding up misspelled signs of oppressive School Budget outrage is just complete horses41t. Im calling foul.

Bottom line, the tri corner hats need to go away now because the Tea Party movement on LI is being exposed for the thinly veiled ignorant racism that it is.Tax revolt my ass, give me bragging rights or give me death.

The wheels are off the wagon on this one kids.Sorry about the Black guy in the White House.
Can we move on to the real issues now?

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 06-08-2011 at 06:44 AM..

Old 06-08-2011, 10:26 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
I am operating under the assumption that most homeowners are aware that the largest portion of their property taxes are coming form their school budgets.

Yes, Syosset can do whatever the hell it sees fit with its ratables, but to think that having a Supt earning more than the POTUS (and 3 times the Governor) isn't setting an Island wide tone of questionable fiscal conservatism that ought to ease on down the road without 1000 Ben Franklins on crack, holding up misspelled signs of oppressive School Budget outrage is just complete horses41t. Im calling foul.

Bottom line, the tri corner hats need to go away now because the Tea Party movement on LI is being exposed for the thinly veiled ignorant racism that it is.Tax revolt my ass, give me bragging rights or give me death.

The wheels are off the wagon on this one kids.Sorry about the Black guy in the White House.
Can we move on to the real issues now?

Crooks
So wait, I'm racist because I believe that government should be beholden to the people and not spend money they don't have (About 40% of our total budget right now IIRC). And that somehow the passing of a budget, which is has about a 99% chance of happening here on LI, and the increase of pay, done by the school board not the voters, is somehow my fault and the fault of other conservatives?

Sorry Crooks, I don't buy that for a minute. If this website is a small but relatively even sampling of LIers then most people would say to drop admin and teachers salaries back to a normal level.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:44 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,170,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
So wait, I'm racist because I believe that government should be beholden to the people and not spend money they don't have (About 40% of our total budget right now IIRC). And that somehow the passing of a budget, which is has about a 99% chance of happening here on LI, and the increase of pay, done by the school board not the voters, is somehow my fault and the fault of other conservatives?

Sorry Crooks, I don't buy that for a minute. If this website is a small but relatively even sampling of LIers then most people would say to drop admin and teachers salaries back to a normal level.
Where was the outrage under W when he was spending like a drunken sailor?

(cue the crickets)

Right..there wasnt any.

Dude your school board IS your representative Democracy(aka your voice).
Looks like the LITP is a few PBRs shy of a Klan Rally on this one, it is what it is.

Crooks

PS Are you a homeowner on LI yet?

Last edited by Crookhaven; 06-08-2011 at 02:04 PM..

Old 06-08-2011, 01:48 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,519,040 times
Don't conflate the rather unique and disgusting system we have on Long Island with public unions nationwide. The level of abuse we have here is unheard of elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island