Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 06:12 PM

153 posts, read 606,120 times

Advertisements

Hello all

Last thursday/friday, between the flash storm on thursday and the heavy rain on Friday, i got some water in my (finished) basement. I believe the water is probably coming in from a crack somewhere in the foundation. I had this problem once before, on the other side of my house, and I dug down to the to the footer of the foundation, sealed up any cracks, and put a membrane in. Now I have the same issue on the other side, and I'm starting to ask this question...Which is better

(1) put a drain + pump in the basement, so any water that does come in either (1) gets drained into the ground or (2) pumped away

(2) dig down the foundation around the entire house and seal any cracks + membrane.

Both have their up sides and down sides, if I do the drain+pump, i (should) never have a problem of standing water, even if a pipe bursts or something (even though most stuff would still be ruined) and any water that did come in for whatever minute reason i missed, would be taken care of, however, the water is still coming in through the walls

Other option gives me the benefit of stopping the water from even coming into the basement walls, but may settle over time and become less useful in the lifetime of me being here. Plus it's possible the water will still come from the weakest point (where the foundation meets the slab)

So any suggestions on which would be the better choice would greatly be appreciated. No sales pitches please

Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 06:22 PM

213 posts, read 728,232 times
I would say the safest bet is to get the foundation looked at. The first opition seems to be just a bandage to what could be a more serious issue. Just my 2 cents

Old 07-10-2011, 08:21 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,234,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.mrs.b.i View Post
Hello all

Last thursday/friday, between the flash storm on thursday and the heavy rain on Friday, i got some water in my (finished) basement. I believe the water is probably coming in from a crack somewhere in the foundation. I had this problem once before, on the other side of my house, and I dug down to the to the footer of the foundation, sealed up any cracks, and put a membrane in. Now I have the same issue on the other side, and I'm starting to ask this question...Which is better

(1) put a drain + pump in the basement, so any water that does come in either (1) gets drained into the ground or (2) pumped away

(2) dig down the foundation around the entire house and seal any cracks + membrane.

Both have their up sides and down sides, if I do the drain+pump, i (should) never have a problem of standing water, even if a pipe bursts or something (even though most stuff would still be ruined) and any water that did come in for whatever minute reason i missed, would be taken care of, however, the water is still coming in through the walls

Other option gives me the benefit of stopping the water from even coming into the basement walls, but may settle over time and become less useful in the lifetime of me being here. Plus it's possible the water will still come from the weakest point (where the foundation meets the slab)

So any suggestions on which would be the better choice would greatly be appreciated. No sales pitches please

Thanks so much!!
We just got our first leak in the basement after 20 years ! I thought the dehumidifier overflowed, but after drying the carpet with a wet vac and moving the dehumidifier, wetness again after the rain.
One thing I noticed was our gutters overflowing like crazy very close to where the water is entering the basement (we have a ranch) . So I'm getting the gutters cleaned this week and hoping that helps - I know there may be a much bigger problem but concrete is porous and I figured try the easiest thing first. Meanwhile, we haven't taken the wet vac out of the basement

Old 07-11-2011, 01:43 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,757,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
One thing I noticed was our gutters overflowing like crazy very close to where the water is entering the basement (we have a ranch) . So I'm getting the gutters cleaned this week and hoping that helps - I know there may be a much bigger problem but concrete is porous and I figured try the easiest thing first. Meanwhile, we haven't taken the wet vac out of the basement
Having a clean gutter system and directing the water far from the house solves 90% of all wet basement issues. Get the kind of downspouts that you can fold up when not in use so that you can divert the water a good 5 or 6 feet from the house.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:42 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Having a clean gutter system and directing the water far from the house solves 90% of all wet basement issues. Get the kind of downspouts that you can fold up when not in use so that you can divert the water a good 5 or 6 feet from the house.
Agree with this and other poster - start with the low tech solutions. Clean gutters and extended downspouts can usually do the trick.

Good luck.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:50 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,705,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
This is a great suggestion. Also, the homeowner should check how the property is graded. Occasionally we see homes where the grade is directing water toward the house. The pump/drain guys aren't going to point this out and ruin a potential sale.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:59 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,024,837 times
Don't ever turn on Holmes Inspections! My favorite episodes are the leaky finished basements... It is amazing what people hide behind drywall.

Check the gutters and even look at the grading of the property. Look at where the water is sitting on your property. If you're in it for the long haul, get a couple of foundation inspections / quotes to fix it once and for all. Maybe even look behind some walls down there - especially near windows. Mold is very unhealthy long term.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:27 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.mrs.b.i View Post
Hello all

Thanks so much!!
I put in a french drain and a pump. So far all is well. I also have a lifetime warranty. The name of the company is Basement Systems. Good luck.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:10 AM

257 posts, read 750,869 times
I only have a crawlspace basement, being in a flood area....but I second using Healthy Basements Systems! They are awesome- and they will evaluate your situation and make the most approprite recommendation. They are a bit pricey IMO, but they offer interest free financing for a period, if you qualify.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:00 PM

108 posts, read 121,046 times
I had a leak in my finished basement after a heavy rain just like you do. I called Harbor basement waterproofing company and they used microfine Bentonite to seal the foundation wall and a crack from the outside. Since then, not a single drop of water in my basement.

Harbor Basement Waterproofing Inc. - Products (http://www.harborbasementwaterproofing.com/products/ - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: