Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 03:35 AM

128 posts, read 251,512 times

Advertisements

LIPA (all long islanders) are being overcharged by $60 million in property taxes by Northport and the town of huntington....Which is why our electric bills are so high. I'm sick of getting ripped off on my lipa bill to subsidize these two towns. Whatever happened with the lawsuit by national grid to lower our rates through tax grievance????
Long islanders can no longer afford to subsidize Northport homeowners tax bills. Please charge Lipa fair taxes. Northport-Huntington have been ripping us off for years now......enough is enough.

LIPA Suit to Hike Northport-East Northport Property Tax Rates by 50% | LIpolitics.com : Long Island's Political Network
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 10:04 AM

939 posts, read 2,681,619 times
Getting flogged financially is part of life on LI, basically unchanged for 30+ years with no end in sight.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:20 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
The only way I can see this improving is via home rule for Long Island (ie: a country within the nation of the United States), or with statehood. At least then the tax money would stay on Long Island. Long Island tax revenues should be for the benefit of Long Island, not the Bronx or Rochester.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:41 PM

112 posts, read 257,765 times
Actually it's NOT LIPA that is ripping off Long Islanders. It's the local towns and villages that have been assessing higher property taxes on these facilities for decades that are taking all of us to the cleaners. What was LILCO then Keyspan and now LIPA/National Grid have been viewed as a cash cow for property taxes for a very long time.

Shoreham/Wading River is a good example along with Northport, Huntington, Island Park, Glen Cove, etc..

Old 09-07-2011, 10:43 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,688,672 times
The folks in North port and Huntington have to put up with the 4 big stacks and the population so they get a small reduction in their taxes.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:53 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
The folks in North port and Huntington have to put up with the 4 big stacks and the population so they get a small reduction in their taxes.
I'm thinking that most of the pollution (I assume that's what you meant when you typed population) is downwind from the plants, not in Northport, more likely in the town of Smithtown. And it's not a small reduction, it's pretty huge.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:12 AM

128 posts, read 251,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
Small reduction? It's $63 million or $3300 per Northport resident and ten percent for huntington residents that's built into our high rates.

Give me $3300 a year Lipa, you're welcomed to build 40 stacks in my town.

Last edited by LI*TEA; 09-07-2011 at 11:23 AM..

Old 09-07-2011, 11:59 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,954,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI*TEA View Post
Small reduction? It's $63 million or $3300 per Northport resident and ten percent for huntington residents that's built into our high rates.

Give me $3300 a year Lipa, you're welcomed to build 40 stacks in my town.
No thanks,

Smokestacks are a major source of toxic pollutants such as sulfur dioxide, nitrogen oxides and other sooty ozone particles, according to the Environmental Defense Fund. These pollutants can have devastating effects on the human body, and increase the incidence of respiratory problems and premature deaths.
The majority of the sludge from smokestacks is deposited in on-site landfills, which can lead to contamination of local water supplies. Toxins such as mercury, arsenic, chromium and cadmium are commonly found in sludge, and can have devastating effects on the human nervous system.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:33 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
No thanks,

Smokestacks are a major source of toxic pollutants such as sulfur dioxide, nitrogen oxides and other sooty ozone particles, according to the Environmental Defense Fund. These pollutants can have devastating effects on the human body, and increase the incidence of respiratory problems and premature deaths.
The majority of the sludge from smokestacks is deposited in on-site landfills, which can lead to contamination of local water supplies. Toxins such as mercury, arsenic, chromium and cadmium are commonly found in sludge, and can have devastating effects on the human nervous system.

I think they bury the sludge next door to you in Virginia.

Anyway, I've always made the argument, based purely on my own conjecture, that we have high rates of cancer on LI because of air pollution more so than anything. We are downwind from all the junk in NJ and all the emissions from NYC...it all blows right over us.

I did a paper on nuclear war in college and I remember seeing the fallout plume from a 4 megaton nuke over NYC.

We're basically a bulls eye for the fallout plume from NYC. If there was a nuclear explosion in NYC we'd be getting dangerous fall out way out on LI, while NJ would be relatively safe.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:32 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,954,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I think they bury the sludge next door to you in Virginia.
D you might be right I have grown two extra toes since I've been here. It's hard to hide in the summertime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island