Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 07:38 PM

8 posts, read 11,839 times

Advertisements

So I recently took a new position teaching in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn. I own my home in Huntington, and moving is not an option.... though the commute the last few days has had me eyeing Brooklyn apartments longingly.

I currently take 135 to the Southern State to the Belt to the Bay Parkway.

The shortest it has taken me is 1 hour 48 minutes. The longest was over 3 hours in the rain the other day.

I haven't had good experiences with 495 to the BQE either though....

Is there some secret way to go to Brooklyn that would help preserve my sanity?

I looked today and concocted a crazy plan to take 495 to the Cross Island to Grand Central/Jackie Robinson to Pennsylvania to Kings Highway, but I'm worried that while this cuts mileage, going THROUGH Brooklyn might make my commute even worse.

I would LOVE some help... THANK YOU in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 08:00 PM

8,818 posts, read 21,290,844 times
I would take the LIRR and get off at the East New York station.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 09-08-2011, 08:02 PM

929 posts, read 2,069,299 times
Nancy is dead on! That's not a drive I would make. There are really no easy ways to get into Brooklyn during rush hour.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:06 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,671,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
That won't put you anywhere near Bensonhurst.

If you were to take the LIRR, it's to Atlantic Terminal, and then the subway (N, D, R, M depending on where exactly in bensonhurst) You're looking at about 1 hr - 1hr 10 min from Hunt to Atlantic, then add about 1/2 hr on the subway as a safe estimate, still beats the drive (sanity wise).

However to drive, they way you mentioned using the Interboro to Pennsy Ave/Kings Hwy might be the most direct.

Sorry there is no magic "Beam me up Scotty" option.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:22 PM

3,526 posts, read 5,711,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
You trying to get the OP mugged???

Old 09-08-2011, 11:15 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,134,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
That won't put you anywhere near Bensonhurst.

If you were to take the LIRR, it's to Atlantic Terminal, and then the subway (N, D, R, M depending on where exactly in bensonhurst) You're looking at about 1 hr - 1hr 10 min from Hunt to Atlantic, then add about 1/2 hr on the subway as a safe estimate, still beats the drive (sanity wise).

However to drive, they way you mentioned using the Interboro to Pennsy Ave/Kings Hwy might be the most direct.

Sorry there is no magic "Beam me up Scotty" option.
True, except that the (R) doesn't serve Bensonhurst: It's further west in Bay Ridge.

The monthly fare for this is $299 for the LIRR, plus about $90 for the subway (or, for $104, you can get an unlimited pass)

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
You trying to get the OP mugged???
LMAO.

Seriously, though, I don't know why she suggested that. It's at the other end of Brooklyn (the only subway line it connects to is the (L)) and it's in a sort-of desolate area (not to mention one of the highest-crime areas in the city)

Type in "Atlantic Avenue at Van Sinderen Avenue" to get an idea of what the OP would be getting into if they got off there. Not something I'd recommend for a Long Islander.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:10 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,809,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyominJo View Post
So I recently took a new position teaching in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn. I own my home in Huntington, and moving is not an option.... though the commute the last few days has had me eyeing Brooklyn apartments longingly.

The shortest it has taken me is 1 hour 48 minutes. The longest was over 3 hours in the rain the other day.

I looked today and concocted a crazy plan to take 495 to the Cross Island to Grand Central/Jackie Robinson to Pennsylvania to Kings Highway, but I'm worried that while this cuts mileage, going THROUGH Brooklyn might make my commute even worse.

takes me 35 minutes from massapequa to bensonhurst.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:10 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,709,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Type in "Atlantic Avenue at Van Sinderen Avenue" to get an idea of what the OP would be getting into if they got off there. Not something I'd recommend for a Long Islander.

How true. I remember one time the train was cancelled at Nostrand Avenue and the passengers had to walk up to Fulton to grab a subway. All those lilly white long islanders thought they were going to be raped, pillaged and plundered. Having grown up in Brooklyn and knowing that area, I knew it wasnt anywheres as dangerous as East New York....but watching those Urban Virgins walking down Nostrand Avenue with fear in their faces was humorous.

And to the OP...you are screwed. There is no magical route to Bensonhurst. Kings Highway generally moves but its a long haul to Bensonhurst from the Interboro.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:54 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,535,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyominJo View Post

I use to drive from Ronkonkoma To Downtown BKLYN. Your correct...anywhere from 1hr to 3 hrs. Look at LIRR/Subway. That drive is work!

Old 09-09-2011, 06:30 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,956,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapdatazz View Post
takes me 35 minutes from massapequa to bensonhurst.

So why don't you let the OP borrow your helicopter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island