Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 06:13 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,337,188 times

Advertisements

Guys,
How does the abandonment work ?
Do you run the new pipes all the way to the boiler from the new tank ?

Special situation.... old underground tank is under extended garage and you have an elbow. Is it the same procedure or anything additional has to be done ?
How will the new pipes go to the boiler from the outside ? Is is laid under the house ?

I'm asking this because I do not see the pipes from the outside of the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 06:26 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,345,615 times
It is my understanding an underground tank cannot be replaced with another underground tank. The new tank will be above ground (Outside) or in the basement or garage.
I did not know tank abandonment was a big deal until I visited this site. Just ignore the old underground tank and move on. No reason to "Abandon" it. Unless i'm missing something?

Old 10-27-2009, 06:52 AM

20,049 posts, read 20,861,844 times
Due to enviromental stuff, legally you are supposed to have the tank professionally abandoned. There are a few different procedures for this. The most extreme is complete removal of the tank, which if it's buried in dirt or under your lawn isn't a big deal. Many tanks are under some form of concrete, more often than not a driveway.
Other forms of abondonment include filling the empty tank with sand or foam. They usually pressure test the tank for leaks before doing any of the above, and if they find a leak, the can of worms is officially opened. Then you need soil testing and other enviromental crap to determine if there is any ground contamination.

The *average* price is in around the $1000 area. You gotta shop around though, and the price could vary by circumstances as well, like if they run into some sort of problem once they begin the procedure. You are also supposed to get a certificate when the job is complete.

You could probabally just leave the tank alone(providing it is bone-dry) and install a new above-ground and just forget the old one exists, but it could come back to bite you in the butt later on, especially if you go to sell the place.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
It is my understanding an underground tank cannot be replaced with another underground tank. The new tank will be above ground (Outside) or in the basement or garage.
I did not know tank abandonment was a big deal until I visited this site. Just ignore the old underground tank and move on. No reason to "Abandon" it. Unless i'm missing something?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Due to enviromental stuff, legally you are supposed to have the tank professionally abandoned. There are a few different procedures for this. The most extreme is complete removal of the tank, which if it's buried in dirt or under your lawn isn't a big deal. Many tanks are under some form of concrete, more often than not a driveway.
Other forms of abondonment include filling the empty tank with sand or foam. They usually pressure test the tank for leaks before doing any of the above, and if they find a leak, the can of worms is officially opened. Then you need soil testing and other enviromental crap to determine if there is any ground contamination.

The *average* price is in around the $1000 area. You gotta shop around though, and the price could vary by circumstances as well, like if they run into some sort of problem once they begin the procedure. You are also supposed to get a certificate when the job is complete.

You could probabally just leave the tank alone(providing it is bone-dry) and install a new above-ground and just forget the old one exists, but it could come back to bite you in the butt later on, especially if you go to sell the place.
Hi Scott,
I am not replacing the old tank in the same spot. I want to abandon it (take out all the gas/liquid) and fill it with foam/sand etc. Then put a new tank above ground.
Hotkarl,
I intend to abandon it professionally and get the certificate.

My main concern is that the boiler is inside the 2nd garage from the outside, and the old tank probably is under the extended garage (no basement). So if I want to keep the tank outside the house how can the pipes run to the boiler from the new tank, as it has to pass through some part of the house in any direction.
Should I just put it inside the garage ?

Old 10-27-2009, 07:08 AM

21 posts, read 102,901 times
Just had our oil tank abandoned a month ago. Ours was buried underground in front of the house (under soil). Because it had an elbow pipe inlet (entry pipe to tank is not straight down), the tank company had a company to locate the underground tank (they used an apparatus similar to a metal detector). Once located, the tank company filled it with foam and cut the exhaust and entry pipe below grade. After all the work is done they gave us a certificate of abandonment. Our total cost was $1210 ($860 to abandon and $350 to locate the tank). I could have located the tank myself with a shovel, but I didn’t want to take the risk of puncturing the tank.

Fortunately, there are gas lines in my street so we converted to gas.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:15 AM

20,049 posts, read 20,861,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
My main concern is that the boiler is inside the 2nd garage from the outside, and the old tank probably is under the extended garage (no basement). So if I want to keep the tank outside the house how can the pipes run to the boiler from the new tank, as it has to pass through some part of the house in any direction.
Don't worry about. As long as you use an experienced company to do this, they will know exactly the best course to take as far as the new installation.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by san_josenian View Post
Just had our oil tank abandoned a month ago. Ours was buried underground in front of the house (under soil). Because it had an elbow pipe inlet (entry pipe to tank is not straight down), the tank company had a company to locate the underground tank (they used an apparatus similar to a metal detector). Once located, the tank company filled it with foam and cut the exhaust and entry pipe below grade. After all the work is done they gave us a certificate of abandonment. Our total cost was $1210 ($860 to abandon and $350 to locate the tank). I could have located the tank myself with a shovel, but I didn’t want to take the risk of puncturing the tank.

Fortunately, there are gas lines in my street so we converted to gas.
Are you in Suffolk ?
Who did you use to abandon ? Can you give me their contact information please ? Good that you got gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Don't worry about. As long as you use an experienced company to do this, they will know exactly the best course to take as far as the new installation.
yeah, I will get someone licensed to do this, I looked on the internet and Windmill came up, I think they should be okay.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:59 AM

116 posts, read 630,296 times
Longshore Environmental in Holbrook is licensed

Old 10-27-2009, 10:55 AM

21 posts, read 102,901 times
[quote=zulu400;11363614]Are you in Suffolk ?
Who did you use to abandon ? Can you give me their contact information please ? Good that you got gas.

yes, we are in suffolk and we used windmill oil tank. This company is mentioned in this forum numerous times. I used them because the plumber that did our gas conversion uses them if an oil tank needs to be abandoned.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:28 PM

42 posts, read 144,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Hi Scott,
I'm going through the same process but decided to put it off until spring. I was told if you put it in the garage they would have to construct a barrier in front of the tank so cars pulling in couldn't hit it. Not a big deal just more money. I believe I was quoted around $1,500.00 including the new tank. The barrier would be additional. You should get an estimate from your oil company. Many of them offer 0% financing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island