Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 02:19 PM

398 posts, read 838,056 times

Advertisements

http://assets.prudentialelliman.com/NYCPhotos/retail_reports/LI_Q3_2011.pdf

Here's the link to the Quarterly Prudential Elliman - Long island Sales report. Here are some highlights for the overall Long Island market.

Sold for Price:
3.9% decline YoY to $457,496 from $475, 946 due to homebuyer’s credit driving prices up last year.

Sales Volume:
Sales rose 18.4% YoY to 5,141 from 4,343 prior year.

Sold at Discount:
6.5% discount on selling price remains flat from 6.4% prior year.

One interesting thing the report shows is while in most markets prices declined and sales increased, South Shore Nassau sales prices increased while sales volume declined. I see the # of listing has always been lower in this area than the other regions.

What's your take on the report?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 02:21 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,112 times
That Massapequa and the Riviera is the best Value on Long Island.

Rocky Point is not.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:29 PM

398 posts, read 838,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
That Massapequa and the Riviera is the best Value on Long Island.

Rocky Point is not.
That's a given, but surely you're more educated to actually analyze the data and give a intelligent and thought out detailed description of your thoughts to the report and what it says about the housing market on Long Island compared to the rest of the country. I could very well be giving you way too much credit, if so I apologize and continue on your way.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:41 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times
Lol Gpsma.

Nyliguy, it looks like the North Shore took a beating last quarter in both Nassau & Suffolk. South Shore (especially So. Shore Suffolk) showed a lot more strength. There's still a lot of weakness all around the Island (distressed sales) that is holding down a recovery from happening.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:30 PM

418 posts, read 1,070,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyliguy View Post
http://assets.prudentialelliman.com/NYCPhotos/retail_reports/LI_Q3_2011.pdf

Here's the link to the Quarterly Prudential Elliman - Long island Sales report. Here are some highlights for the overall Long Island market.

Sold for Price:
3.9% decline YoY to $457,496 from $475, 946 due to homebuyer’s credit driving prices up last year.

Sales Volume:
Sales rose 18.4% YoY to 5,141 from 4,343 prior year.

Sold at Discount:
6.5% discount on selling price remains flat from 6.4% prior year.

One interesting thing the report shows is while in most markets prices declined and sales increased, South Shore Nassau sales prices increased while sales volume declined. I see the # of listing has always been lower in this area than the other regions.

What's your take on the report?
Out of these numbers, the 6.5% discount on selling price probably has no meaning. Simply, it's a hard to prove number and since these reports originate with real estate agencies, it is highly inflated. From observations, typically, the starting listed price is very often A LOT higher than the final sell price - not uncommon by 20-30% higher - due to delusional sellers or even sometimes a reasonable price but no suitable buyers.
Eventually, it converges to the true current sell value - and if you take the last listed price with respect to the negotiated price - maybe 6.5% can be reached, maybe...

The really high-priced real estate in the Hamptons (>$5mil) has done exceptionally well this quarter - as it is viewed still as a good investment.
"Regular" houses are not viewed as an investment at this point but as a liability/albatross ... until better times come around, and they will - just not too soon.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:59 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Lol Gpsma.

Nyliguy, it looks like the North Shore took a beating last quarter in both Nassau & Suffolk. South Shore (especially So. Shore Suffolk) showed a lot more strength. There's still a lot of weakness all around the Island (distressed sales) that is holding down a recovery from happening.

Hmmmmmmm?

Interesting spin, lets try this one on as well... shall we?

It looks to me like the median home in South Nassau(370k)is coming in at less than 50 cents on the dollar in comparison to its North Nassau neighbors (755k) and just a hair over the LI Median of 365k. Wow!!! I'm so glad PruLI cleared that up, I almost confused Massapequa for Muttontown with all its glamorous Fucco and Hi-ranches.Whats that old saying in Nassau? "North Shore Flash ....South Shore Trash" or something like that?

Heres where it really gets fun. Also of note, that renowned C-D dung heap known as North Suffolk outshines S Nassau significantly (472k vs 370k). Its astonishing that it was able to pull that feat off with the enormous singular downward burden of Rocky Point itself (gasp). I am stunned that this data would even suggest that N Suffolk is a more desirable place to live than S Nassau with all we know that is wrong out there. ....Bikers, Bungalows, ....egads!

Hell even S Suffok is creeping up on the Riv with a respectable 295k median. You would think with all that awesome blue ribbonness in the schools and that lightning quick commute to NYC that it would eclipse just about anything in Suffolk?

Are we sure we can trust this data? Can it be?

Yes an encouraging trend all the same.
; )
Crooks

Old 10-31-2011, 09:41 PM

Blah, PBR goggles, Crooks. South Shore did ok. Here's the rest:

NASSAU
North Shore: Price indicators slipped. Median sales price fell 5% to $755,000 from $795,000 in the prior year quarter. Average sales price showed a similar pattern.

South Shore: Price indicators continued to rise. Median sales price edged 1.4% higher to $370,000 above prior year quarter result of $365,000. Average sales price increased 4.4% to $445,875 from $427,195 over the same period.

=================
SUFFOLK
North Shore: Price indicators declined. Median sales price fell 8.6% to $472,500 from $517,000 in the same quarter last year.

South Shore: Price indicators were mixed. Median sales price edged 1% higher to $295,000 from $292,000 in the prior year quarter. Average sales price slipped 1% over the same period to $312,814.

-----------------

This is not a competition, crooks. I think my assessment was accurate. You're free to leave RP if you want, you know that right? Youre never going to get the ask you were looking for.. Just saying ; )

Peqs

Bonus:
Median Sale price Sep '11 vs. Prev. Month vs. Prev. Year
Massapequa -- Median Sold Price $550K +22.2% +4.3%
Rocky Point -- Median Sold Price $270K +2.3% -11.5%

Old 11-01-2011, 05:14 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Blah, PBR goggles, Crooks. South Shore did ok. Here's the rest:

NASSAU
North Shore: Price indicators slipped. Median sales price fell 5% to $755,000 from $795,000 in the prior year quarter. Average sales price showed a similar pattern.

South Shore: Price indicators continued to rise. Median sales price edged 1.4% higher to $370,000 above prior year quarter result of $365,000. Average sales price increased 4.4% to $445,875 from $427,195 over the same period.

=================
SUFFOLK
North Shore: Price indicators declined. Median sales price fell 8.6% to $472,500 from $517,000 in the same quarter last year.

South Shore: Price indicators were mixed. Median sales price edged 1% higher to $295,000 from $292,000 in the prior year quarter. Average sales price slipped 1% over the same period to $312,814.

-----------------

This is not a competition, crooks. I think my assessment was accurate. You're free to leave RP if you want, you know that right? Youre never going to get the ask you were looking for.. Just saying ; )

Peqs

Bonus:
Median Sale price Sep '11 vs. Prev. Month vs. Prev. Year
Massapequa -- Median Sold Price $550K +22.2% +4.3%
Rocky Point -- Median Sold Price $270K +2.3% -11.5%

Please allow me to to net this down. Here are the facts of the areas as they stand today.

LI by Median Price Ranks as such per PruLI.

1)N. Nassau

2)N. Suffolk

3)S. Nassau

4)S. Suffolk.

Crooks

PS
I'm sill a little unclear if theyre including the Hamptons in the S Suffolk data or not.It seems low if they are.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:09 AM

110 posts, read 225,817 times
How 'bout we put it this way....ALL OR MOST OF LONG ISLAND IS WAY OVERPRICED!

Old 11-01-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Please allow me to to net this down. Here are the facts of the areas as they stand

Crooks

PS
I'm sill a little unclear if theyre including the Hamptons in the S Suffolk data or not.It seems low if they are.
What's your point? First youre trying to picky back on belle terre and Old field with the No shore, now the hamptons? Every area has outliers that will skew each region...like I'm sure they're including Freeport, Roosevelt, Baldwin and part of Hempstead in the south shore figure.

You took a trend that I observed in the data (which is blatantly obvious and even noted by Pru in their assessment) and turned into some imaginary attack on the north shore. Get a grip.

Here are the facts of the areas as they stand today.

Median Price Ranks as such per PruLI.

1)N. Nassau $755k

2) Massapequa $550k

3)N. Suffolk $472k

4)S. Nassau $370k

5)S. Suffolk. $295k

6) Rocky Point $270k

There, you happy? Does this really even matter?

I would end this with a "stay classy", but you threw any you had out the window on page 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island