Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 12:47 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,991,491 times

Advertisements

And before you click the link to read the article, guess which SD he attended!?
I was guessing North Shore, probably Nassau... Was I way off!

Makes me think twice about the importance of districts. Are people blowing it completely out of proportion?

NY student accepted at all 8 Ivy League schools - The Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 01:02 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,165,351 times
Great for him.

And good for William Floyd!

Old 04-01-2014, 01:05 PM

791 posts, read 1,623,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
And before you click the link to read the article, guess which SD he attended!?
I was guessing North Shore, probably Nassau... Was I way off!

Makes me think twice about the importance of districts. Are people blowing it completely out of proportion?

NY student accepted at all 8 Ivy League schools - The Washington Post
Yes, it's blown out of proportion to some extent, but I do think school district matters for kids closer to the median.

An exceptional kid is going to be exceptional anywhere (and arguably, may be considered more "remarkable" in the college admissions process when coming from a weaker district because the exceptional kid "overcame" the "obstacles" of being from that district).

However, for a kid closer to average, I think school district plays a role because that kid's school experience will be shaped by the norms/standards among peers, and in better districts, peers are more likely to be grade- and school-oriented than at a weaker school. If the norm is that everyone studies and tries to get at least Bs, an average kid will aim for that; if the norm is that no one studies and everyone's fine passing with a 67, a kid may think it's acceptable to aim for that instead. So choosing a school district requires you to consider what type of kid you have - some kids (like the young man featured in the article) are incredibly bright and self-motivated, and don't need peer influence to aspire to that kind of success. School district doesn't matter for those kids. Other kids (probably most other kids) don't have that internal motivation, and need the push that a "better" school district is more equipped to provide.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:05 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,542,542 times
I'll be politically incorrect here but I think being an under-represented minority helps out a lot when it comes to Ivies admissions.

The equivalent white or asian kid with same test scores probably would not get accepted to all the ivies.

Nonetheless, outstanding achievement for the kid and kudos to him.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:10 PM

70 posts, read 121,711 times
I'm with 85dumbo, this smells of affirmative action. The kid is probably qualified but others were passed up so he could be accepted.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:13 PM

791 posts, read 1,623,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracer88 View Post
I'm with 85dumbo, this smells of affirmative action. The kid is probably qualified but others were passed up so he could be accepted.
So the kid has to be white for his achievements to be legitimate in your opinion?

Old 04-01-2014, 01:23 PM

260 posts, read 451,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracer88 View Post
Affirmative action? All 8 institutions felt this young man would be an asset to their campus and passed up other qualified students? Admissions is as much a qualitative process as it is a quantitive one (test scores, coursework). Maybe it wasn't his skin color or last name...maybe applicants of his profile from the Mastic area rare and that's what made him stand out?

Bravo to him!

Old 04-01-2014, 01:28 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,733,011 times
This boy's academics were off the hook! Having had parental involvement/guidence/influence must have made a big difference in his life.

He has such a stellar future -- awesome job!

Old 04-01-2014, 01:37 PM

8,697 posts, read 11,089,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
I'll be politically incorrect here but I think being an under-represented minority helps out a lot when it comes to Ivies admissions.

The equivalent white or asian kid with same test scores probably would not get accepted to all the ivies.

Nonetheless, outstanding achievement for the kid and kudos to him.
this was true when I was in HS. I personally knew someone who got in who normally wouldn't have. Regardless, great for him tho

Old 04-01-2014, 02:10 PM

70 posts, read 121,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoSeeker52 View Post
So the kid has to be white for his achievements to be legitimate in your opinion?
I never said he wasn't qualified. I just think "affirmative action" played a role in his acceptance to all the schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island