Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 07:54 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,753,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiddleMeThis View Post
Renters have a lot of opinions but they don't pay taxes.
Sorry you all bought houses you couldn't afford.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
I think I heard your mom calling down the basement stairs.
That was your mom silly she was telling me dinner was ready.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:34 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,481,425 times
Admittedly, Long Island is not hell. The variety of independent restaurants are fantastic (mmm, sushi), but the taxation and redundant levels of government are out of control. I've been blessed with the opportunity of taking a degree in Europe, with the commensurate travelling opportunities. I have yet to find property taxes to equal ours. In Britain, taxes are done in "bands" by the local "council" in charge of schools, waste management, law enforcement and so on. A house in my "council" valued at $325,000 will pay a council tax (covering all services) of $4,500.

My sister and I inherited a house in Floral Park assessed at $425,000. Our taxes work out to around $14,000 per annum. Torigo's is a fantastic Japanese restaurant, but in spite of that, I don't see the town as being worth $14,000. Now I get the joy of draining my half of the estate so that my sister can have drunk LI-style parties for her stuck-for-life-in-minimum-wage-job friends!

Old 01-25-2012, 08:39 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,747,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
Admittedly, Long Island is not hell. The variety of independent restaurants are fantastic (mmm, sushi), but the taxation and redundant levels of government are out of control. I've been blessed with the opportunity of taking a degree in Europe, with the commensurate travelling opportunities. I have yet to find property taxes to equal ours. In Britain, taxes are done in "bands" by the local "council" in charge of schools, waste management, law enforcement and so on. A house in my "council" valued at $325,000 will pay a council tax (covering all services) of $4,500.

My sister and I inherited a house in Floral Park assessed at $425,000. Our taxes work out to around $14,000 per annum. Torigo's is a fantastic Japanese restaurant, but in spite of that, I don't see the town as being worth $14,000. Now I get the joy of draining my half of the estate so that my sister can have drunk LI-style parties for her stuck-for-life-in-minimum-wage-job friends!
You're not factoring in that most of Europe has an insane VAT tax of ~20% added onto most purchases.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:43 AM

292 posts, read 820,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
That was your mom silly she was telling me dinner was ready.
Living in the basement AND working the night shift. Ain't LI grand.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:44 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
some kids here hate it because it's all they ever knew... they grow up hating LI cause it's "boring". Well yeah it's the suburbs. Ironic that we do it for the kids.
How true! Then again, if I moved my children up to VT, they would find it more boring -- despite the wealth of outdoor activities year round -- and wish they were back on LI.

Quote:
Depends on the town. Large jewish population here, maybe 10% asian. Never heard any guido talk. I know it's out there though.
I agree. My community has a lot of SBU people and professionals who've relocated from other states and countries. Every so often, if I start speaking quickly, my south shore accent surfaces and (despite not being Italian) I might sound guidoesque. Not that I am trying to deny where I am from; rather I don't want to be thought of as uneducated or uncouth.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Living in the basement AND working the night shift. Ain't LI grand.
Thats a good trick seeing as I'm sitting at work right now.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:06 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,337,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
You're not factoring in that most of Europe has an insane VAT tax of ~20% added onto most purchases.
Lol, thats true Pequa... but do you recall 9-9-9 ??? Its debatable but some articles I read at that time quoted that his plan would have resulted in a 25-30% effective VAT

Don't get me wrong, but if you ask me everyone should have some teeth in the services they use, for example households not using the school system should be taxed less or not taxed for schools at all, but thats just an example. Its just like how co-pays work when you go to the doctor..... You talk about people who have 0 copays and amazing health coverage... they are the ones who rush to the doctors office after one sneeze.... if you make their co-pays $30, they will think twice before going rightaway... just another example.... I believe this will in the long term be beneficial.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:09 AM

909 posts, read 1,837,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Add in price of gas and universal healthcare and you have to be very wealthy to equal your American lifestyle.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:08 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
If I could change just one thing about Long Island, it would be the materialism. Granted, there are materialistic people everywhere, but here the superficial nonsense and preoccupation with money just seems so rampant and entrenched, to me at least. Maybe it's because Long Island is so close to the center of finance and many people here work in that business. Maybe it's because people in suburbia have nothing better to worry about than the acquisition of stuff, stuff, and more stuff. Beats me. But it's another reason I don't like the office culture here. And sometimes it comes through in this forum, as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
You said it yourself. Sounds like an issue in most places. Most of the complaints would be complaints in other big areas with higher-than-avg incomes (see the income poll). Nothing new or exclusive here.
Actually, my point is that materialism is more common and much worse here than other places I've lived. I think materialism is to Long Island what obsession with looks is to Los Angeles and power-tripping is to Washington, D.C. Obviously not everyone on Long Island is hung up on money, but it's a lot more pervasive here, to me at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I think it's because everyone knows they are one lost paycheck away from disaster, and they want to make sure everyone else is too. "It's not enough that I succeed, everyone else must fail".
Could be. I try to avoid petty people like that as much as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island