Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 11:01 AM

224 posts, read 676,182 times

Advertisements

Hi folks -

I'm in the process of getting estimates for an electrical upgrade job (and extras) for a house in Nassau. The house was built in the 1950s and has all the original electrical work, including 60 amps and fuses. I would like to upgrade to 200 amps as well as change a bunch of other items, as well. I've gotten some estimates; I was curious to see what other opinions were out there. I'm sure some of you have had this work done. Any insight, thoughts, ideas, etc. you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a snapshot of the work I requested done. The price I was quoted was $6,000.

-Install new top of the Line 200 amp 40 circuit main breaker panel
-Grounding of water system
-200 amp meter Board (device your electric meter plugs into)
-8ft ground rod driven into the earth on the home exterior
-# 4 Bare copper/ grounding conductor to water pipe
-Breakers included as necessary
-All items to be installed to the national electrical code or local town codes

-Remove All Outlets and Switches Throughout Home and Replace with New Code Standard Outlets and Switches (Tamper Resistant with Grounding).
-Supply and Install four 6" Air Tight High Hat W/ White Baffle
-Supply and Install six 5" Air Tight High Hat W/ White Baffle
-Dimmer Supply and Install Diva Style Dimmer(s)
-Air Conditioner Line 20 Amp 120 Volt Dedicated Circuit for Air Conditioner
-20 Amp 120 Volt Dedicated Circuit for Air Conditioner
-Light Remove & Replace Fixture with New Customer Provided Fixture
-20 Amp 120 Volt Dedicated Circuit for Air Conditioner
-Light Remove & Replace Fixture with New Customer Provided Fixture
-Supply and Install Switch
-Wall Sconce Installation of Wiring for Two Outdoor Lanterns
-Removal Removal Of Old Wiring for 220 Volt Line
-Remove Existing Boiler Feed and Replace with Dedicated 15 Amp 120 Volt Independent Feed
-Outlet Supply & Install Outlet for Service at Boiler Location
-Washer Separate circuit Receptacle
-Dryer 220 30 Amp Dryer with 4 wire Cord and Receptacle
-Light Wiring only; installation of customers fixtures
-Switch Supply and Install Switch

$6,000 seems high to me. To my knowledge, it costs around $2 - $2.5 K for the upgrade. Would the other items really cost $3 - $3.5 K plus?

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 11:44 AM

456 posts, read 1,428,816 times
Nope, that's a fair price. Had both my 1st and second floor addition wired, about 10 grand but we had a bit more work done involving sub-panels, re-routing the main power to the opposite side of the house, etc. I think what you listed is on the mark, if not cheap.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:56 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,347,184 times
I don't know whether its fair or not. Get a second and third quote.

service upgrade runs $2-$2.5K, or it did.... now depending on whether the arc fault breakers are required it can be more... the arc fault breakers are pricey in quanitity.

high hats I've heard normally around $150 per fixture. so that would be around $1500 there.

I think when you start counting the different lights you're changing out, new circuits run you're probably in the ballpark, but if you aren't comfortible with the price, I would definately get another quote.

Also, I'm assuming since you're doing a service upgrade that this is an actual electrician not a handyman, but definately make sure you're using one if you're doing a service upgrade, and also that you're getting it inspected and hold on to the cert that they send/give you.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:30 PM

147 posts, read 543,811 times
Looking at the snapshot of the work that needs to be done I would say that $6000 is a fair price.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:53 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
If anything I would be worried about the contractor abandoning the job when he realizes he under bid. Thats a lot of work for the price...the 200 amp upgrade alone is about $2500-$3k.

Wire is thru the roof right now. Just be sure to get a contract so the guy doesn't bail half way thru the project.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:54 PM

Are you supplying all the material too?

Old 04-17-2012, 01:11 PM

Not supplying material.

My impression of the guy, who is a licensed electrician with a reputable company, was that he really knew his stuff. I had a few more electricians come in and tell me, "oh, that's fine," when this guy told me it was a hazard or not to code. I feel confident he would do the job right. I was just curious about the price because I'm a first-time home owner and really don't know what most of this stuff costs.

Another guy told me he would do most of the work listed above for $3 K. But he was a contractor. I don't know who his electrician is. At the end of the day, I prefer it's done right even if a higher cost is necessary.

I appreciate the input. Thanks so much. I'll probably go with him.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:07 PM

Keep us posted on the outcome.

So many people never report back after they come for opinions.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:49 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
If you need an excellent electrician we used Allways electric for our upgrade and it cost us aout $2,000 but that was like 6 years ago. Allways Electric :: Home You meet with the owner and when the job is finsished he comes to check and make sure the job was done right and it met with your approval.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:17 AM

Found another guy who quoted $3,850 for the same thing. One contractor told me $2,700. I'm having other work done so I may just toss it in the mix (to the contractor) rather than deal with an outside electrician exclusively.

Either way, I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: