Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 05:08 PM

41 posts, read 87,263 times

Advertisements

My house undergoes gut repair (Sandy gift). We have contract with GC. According to contract it is full GC's responsibility to obtain electrical permit and do rough inspection upon completion of this phase. Now, work is not finished and GC states that it "passed" electrical inspection (he hired subcontractor to do all electrical). We do not believe this.

My questions:
1 - do we have a right to see electrical permit pulled of our repair and have a copy of it?
2 - We insist that electrical inspection to be done in our presence with inspector showing id of a valid inspection agency and produce written inspection conclusion. We feel that we need a copy of this document.
Is this reasonable?
3 - Additionally, some of rough electrical cannot be completed(20%) b/c GC did not finish some structural alterations. He suggests we retain 1/3 of the total rough electrical repair cost for those. I think if this is the case, we can insist that rough electrical be reinspected upon 100% rough completion. Is this reasonable? Are we making a mistake (yes, we do! but we want to keep repairs rolling) giving into pressure by both electrician and GC? (Our contract clearly spells that we pay upon 100% completion of rough electrical part and passing inspection).

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 11:37 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Call your town's building department and ask if there are any open permits. Here in Brookhaven, electrical inspections are not done by the town but by an outside agency. Ask the contractor which company he used and to see a copy of the slip they issued indicating rough has passed.

Do you know the name of the electrician/electrical company he used?

Old 09-20-2013, 05:25 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
^^^The building department should be able to answer all your questions. You mentioned it was Sandy related which may/may not have some bearing on the process. There were certain things that once the insurance company or FEMA signed off on your damage you were allowed to proceed without a lot of the usual permits etc. Those were very specific and were done due to the degree of damage and not wishing to hold up home owners whose homes were destroyed. That exemption did not include the inspection, which as far as I am aware is still required. You are smart to withhold payment.
C

Old 09-20-2013, 12:21 PM

Update: I called the town and they confirmed that at TOH we need rough inspection (so called green sticker) and then underwriter's certificate upon full completion.
Both GC and electrician tried to bully us for full payment stating that inspection was passed. I demanded green sticker and they could not produce one.
Now, apparently there was no inspection and GC just told me it was scheduled for Monday.

They started demanding money yesterday morning with 2 full days of work ahead!
They are still not done and not everything is working!

It is so tiresome to hold defense with these people!

Old 09-20-2013, 12:30 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
your only leverage is $$. Don't give that up until you're satisfied. When you consider how busy many of these guys are with Sandy repairs, it's the only thing that will keep them coming back until they're done.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatAthena View Post
Update: I called the town and they confirmed that at TOH we need rough inspection (so called green sticker) and then underwriter's certificate upon full completion.
Both GC and electrician tried to bully us for full payment stating that inspection was passed. I demanded green sticker and they could not produce one.
Now, apparently there was no inspection and GC just told me it was scheduled for Monday.

They started demanding money yesterday morning with 2 full days of work ahead!
They are still not done and not everything is working!

It is so tiresome to hold defense with these people!
If you haven't already done so, get certificates of liability insurance (listing you as additional insured) fromm your GC and his trades. Request workers comp certificates from everyone, too. Ask for copies of their licenses. You've caught these guys in a lie -- make sure they haven't tried pulling the wool over your eyes.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
your only leverage is $$. Don't give that up until you're satisfied. When you consider how busy many of these guys are with Sandy repairs, it's the only thing that will keep them coming back until they're done.
That they've lied about the inspection and are demanding money is a giant red flag. You're right -- withhold the payment. Something isn't right.

Old 09-20-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
If you haven't already done so, get certificates of liability insurance (listing you as additional insured) fromm your GC and his trades. Request workers comp certificates from everyone, too. Ask for copies of their licenses. You've caught these guys in a lie -- make sure they haven't tried pulling the wool over your eyes.
I thought I had them - checked again - they were issued to the Town of North H, instead of TOH. I also requested CG to add us as additional insured on liability ins.

Live and learn! Thank you, all!

Old 09-20-2013, 02:03 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,989,267 times
When I gutted my kitchen, the inspector came and put a green sticker on the window in which the work was being performed. I asked what that was for, and he stated "This is so the town can come by at any time and see that this work has been inspected. Leave it up until the work is complete."

So, do you have a sticker? I am located in Town of Brookhaven, Patchogue Village.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:19 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
The company that does the rough inspection will put the green sticker on a window at the job site and it will note that the job was correctly done and that the wiring can be enclosed in Sheetrock.

He will come back for a final inspection and will then issue an Underwriters cert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island