Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 07:57 PM

57,297 posts, read 26,217,746 times

Advertisements

Thee was $102 M in refunds fo rlast year, $82M in commercial, $20M in residential, one owner received a $6M refund, I would love to know the details.

"Although past administrations had provided lawmakers with that basic information for commercial challenges, Ciampoli had simply listed 6,500 business properties by their parcel number and refund amount. For one property, the refund totals $6 million. Lawmakers must approve all settlements of more than $100,000.
"Nassau County has a control board with a control period and that has changed the field substantially and that is why you have what you have before you," Ciampoli told members of the county legislature's Finance Committee."

Nassau to detail $102M in tax refunds
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 11:22 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
We did it ourselves in the Town Of Brookhaven. It was a lengthy process (8 months or so). We had a very strong case (house over valued by more than 100K), but the process was not that difficult. You basically file the grievance with the tax assessor, wait until they get around to looking at it, they give you a decision.

In our case, we were reduced by about 15% of what we were asking for. I then submitted paperwork to effectively take the Town to Small Claims court. It then comes down to going in front of judge who can decide if you should get the full deduction. In our case, I got a call from the assessor offering me a deal (85% of what we were asking) in return for not dragging it into court. We were happy with that.

Like I said...it was a drag, but not a very difficult process. The town assessor has all the paperwork. In our case, the taxes dropped $3000 a year, so I saved a lot by doing it myself.
Niiice! that's the route I'll take too then!
Question: Why didn't you play hard ball for the full amount you were looking for? Why settle for 85%?

Old 02-09-2012, 12:31 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
Question: Why didn't you play hard ball for the full amount you were looking for? Why settle for 85%?
My guess is it's the proverbial "bird in the hand" vs. "two in the bush" rule: they knew what they were getting--you never know how the judge is going to rule, could have been less than 85%.

BTW, any reduction is capped at 25% of the current assessment.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:31 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
Quick question...

Besides pools and detached garages and such, are all the taxes based on square livable footage? So the number of bathrooms doesn't matter? So If I have 2,000 sq. ft and the neighbors house is 2,000 sq. ft.(apples to apples) we should have the same taxes?

Old 05-03-2012, 12:39 PM

465 posts, read 1,710,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Quick question...

Besides pools and detached garages and such, are all the taxes based on square livable footage? So the number of bathrooms doesn't matter? So If I have 2,000 sq. ft and the neighbors house is 2,000 sq. ft.(apples to apples) we should have the same taxes?
The taxes are based on assessment value, not simply square footage. SF is part of the assessed value just like # baths, finished basement, deck, garage, pool, extensions, etc basically any improvements which would affect the value of the property. So if there were two ranches, built the same year, each having 3br/2ba with 2000 sf and no other improvemnts then yes, theoretically teh taxes or assessed value should be the same.

If you are considering grieving, comparables will be sought which are close to your house in terms of age, #beds/baths, style (ranch, colonial, etc), sq footage, and within a location radius . These comparable sale properties will be selected within a window of when your house value should be established, in Huntington its July 1st I believe, in order to establish the value of your property to base the assessment.
I finally got my grievance notice yesterday, took about a year, taxes lowered $1200 due to assessment change of -93k.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:50 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
^^ Thanks.

I know Im def. over assessed after looking at the neighbors house across the street which is listed for sale now. Same style, same sq. footage, same size in ground pool, etc. And they have one more bedroom and 2 1/2 more baths.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:51 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,516,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
Just saw this now....sorry.

Had we gone to court, there was no guarantee that the judge would have given us the full reduction.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:23 PM

414 posts, read 808,901 times
Is there a way to find out assessed values of homes in the area online somewhere? Would love to be able to find out that way. I have a feeling for me it would be hard, most of the houses in my area are 70-100 years old, mine is only 15.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryangry View Post
Is there a way to find out assessed values of homes in the area online somewhere? Would love to be able to find out that way. I have a feeling for me it would be hard, most of the houses in my area are 70-100 years old, mine is only 15.
If you are in Brookhaven, 11776, then I do not believe the information is available online. Huntington has the information online as well as Nassau I believe.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
^^ Thanks.

I know Im def. over assessed after looking at the neighbors house across the street which is listed for sale now. Same style, same sq. footage, same size in ground pool, etc. And they have one more bedroom and 2 1/2 more baths.
What town are you in? If you look at your tax statement you should be able to see your current assessment, it may not be in dollars, you may have to convert it. Once you have your current assessment value, you can use MLSLI or other RE sites to do a quick check of some comps to get a feel for what your house value should be. If you are in Huntington, its real easy as everything is available on the web.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island