Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 06:56 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,806,997 times

Advertisements

you accepted that he had a nyc license to work in a nassau home. youre going to lose in court.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 08:38 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,345,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac14 View Post
Dear all,
thank you all for the insight.

Up until last few days project was moving along ok.

We knew they were not brilliant, but we tried to be on a lookout all the time. We were helping him as much as we could. (For example, he did not know how to handle a window and window ledge and we spent quite some time figuring things out in order to prevent him from doing it incorrectly).

Then, after they have already tiled, it was discovered that plumbing was incorrect and volume control was not working. They had to break tiles and cementboard and fix the showerhead volume, but they were incapable of fixing bath spout volume control.

On the very last night, when they were rushing to finish, I noticed that tumbled stone listello had a thick epoxy grout residue on a perimeter. I commented that this should have been fixed. They guy refused and said he can only scratch it with sandpaper(!) in some spots. I declined it as this was not a viable solution.

I really wanted the project to be finished and was hoping to clean up that residue myself.

It proved to be very difficult. After they left, I located the product by Aquamix, tried it. It is working cleaning tumbled stone and crevices, but it is very slow and laborious process. It will take many, many hours just to have epoxy grout residue removed.

I also had noticed cracks along all corners and along ceiling line couple of days later.

Chrisk327, there cracks are quite wide, they can be indication of improper framing or taping. Is this considered to be ok job? The bathroom was original to the house, 60 yo, not cracks before that. (I will try upload all pictures shortly).

I do not think a tube of acrylic caulk will resolve all these problems (framing/taping/tiling/grouting).

I feel that solving just main problems will take so much time that contractor is unwilling to fix them as it would be very costly for him.

Aside form L(ien) word - there were subtle hints along the way (possibility to create hidden problems that cannot be quickly discovered, not having workman's comp, stuff like that).

Again, thank you all for your input.
Lilac14
I'm definately not saying that you should accept large cracks in your ceiling, I'm making an assumption here, but if this was an existing bathroom I'm assuming it isn't a structural issue, and is more of them either needing additon screw

However, was trying to convey that the contractor is going to get upset if you cancel his check when he believes the job is done. canceling a payment that he has in hand is a shot accross the bow, it shouldn't be surprising to you that he's going to be pissed. He's not going to happily say, sure I'll fix the issues

Old 02-26-2012, 05:52 PM

119 posts, read 257,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz Crazy View Post
you accepted that he had a nyc license to work in a nassau home. youre going to lose in court.
What court? She hasn't paid him, and he can't sue her. No need to go to court. Find an actual licensed contractor to do the job right.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:20 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,806,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.I.N.Y. View Post
What court? She hasn't paid him, and he can't sue her. No need to go to court. Find an actual licensed contractor to do the job right.
obviously there are issues remaining, the guy hasnt responded to her calls, the next step is court. she did ask what she was to do next.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:54 AM

863 posts, read 2,107,812 times
People reading is fundemental. The op clearly stated the person advertise in Nassau and said they had a lic even came to the house and provided a lic. She thought everything was above board however later found out you need a specific lic to work in Nassau. The OP clearly stated it was not their intention of screwing anyone out of money they sent the contractor a list of items that needs to be fix and he has refused to fix them.

So are we saying the OP should have paid and then hope this guy comes back and fix the issues. How many horror stories we hear of people paying the contractor and them running off with the money. I never thought about it that way but the OP did a smart thing to protect themself. They will no loose in court because the payment was never done in bad faith. The contractor accepted the check even thought it was dated with the understanding that if there are no issues in the next 10days all will be fine. Dam something could have happen on day 11 and the OP would have been out of money.

Lighten up a little sharks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island