Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 11:54 AM

34 posts, read 112,477 times

Advertisements

Can anyone suggest a reputable place for computer repairs in Nassau? I'm getting a hard disk failure message which Dell helped me troubleshoot over the phone and they tell me the hard disk is not being recognized. I was considering going to the Geek Squad at Best Buy, but the reviews online aren't too good.

Anyone have any good or bad experiences with the Geek Squad or other places?

Also, Dell is sending me a recovery disk which they said should fix the problem, but I'm not so sure about that. For any of you techies out there, do you know if this will help?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 01:44 PM

233 posts, read 753,421 times
Honestly my man I could fix this for you in a jiffy.

If your hard disk is failing first things first...get a backup made...

second... replace the hard disk...

the recovery disk is probably going to be used to revamp your computer AFTER it crashes or AFTER you install a fresh OS.

You will probably need it for all of the drivers on your computer.

If my power supply began to fail than my hard drive would fail first, is what I noticed growing up.

So maybe perhaps change power supply and hard drive.

Should not be very costly and you could do this yourself...basically just unscrew the case, find the hard drive and be careful careful careful and treat everything delicately and in a clean sterile environment if possible...

put the new one in..connect it...badabing badaboom...

if you take it to the geek squad your basically any shop that is set up for profit...they will *********.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:59 PM

34 posts, read 112,477 times
Thanks for your reply!

Right now I'm just seeing a blue screen with the BIOS menu (I think that's what it is). So I'm not sure how I would be able to backup my files at this point. I can't access anything. Also, if I replace the hard drive, how do I transfer the files, pictures, etc. to the new one?

Old 03-15-2012, 02:34 PM

783 posts, read 1,423,541 times
Sounds like your disk drive is dead. The quick fix is to buy a new drive and run the recovery disk from Dell to reinstall your OS. To retrieve your personal data from the bad disk you will need to take it to a data recovery shop but that can be very expensive or you can try any of the commericial data recovery software out there. Just google it. Hope that helps.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:40 PM

629 posts, read 963,076 times
It's possible that the hard drive isn't dead, but rather, isn't bootable. If you have access to another PC, you could attach the harddrive from this PC as a secondary drive to see if you can access the data off of it.

In my experience, it's most likely a hardware issues, so the Dell CD won't help you too much, unless you got a new HD.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:57 PM

520 posts, read 1,653,410 times
Throw it away and buy a Mac. Problem solved!!!

Old 03-15-2012, 06:22 PM

36 posts, read 94,392 times
Checkout Computer Port in Port Washington, great small town service.

The owner Keith is a genius and will fix anything without the GeekSquad prices and rudeness.

http://www.computerport.us/

Old 03-15-2012, 07:23 PM

629 posts, read 1,701,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mambwe View Post
Spoken like a true iTard

Old 03-15-2012, 07:40 PM

840 posts, read 2,446,294 times
wow, was literally typing this when i saw your post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mambwe View Post

Old 03-15-2012, 08:07 PM

903 posts, read 3,580,195 times
its not nassau county but we have used the "computer guys" on deer park avenue in deer park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island