Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2012, 04:20 PM

51 posts, read 222,500 times

Advertisements

I am adding a raised porch (roof and screened in) to my home in seaford, northern part near southern state. I read the building code online, but it was a little unclear on allowed setbacks to the property line. I think the structure must be a minimum of 15 feet from property line, but need to know the residence zoning code to be sure. Tried to call, but they wont give it over the phone. Going there anyhow to get permit forms so I guess I will find out soon enough. Just curious, does anyone have an info on this as to which zone AA, A, etc. seaford is in and any other details regarding town rules for building this screen porch?

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 05:29 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,676,751 times
Depending on which side of Southern State your property is located, according to the maps as published by the Nassau County Planning Commission, it's either in North Wantagh ("Seaford, NY 11783" mailing address) or Levittown ("Seaford, NY 11783" mailing address).

Old 04-03-2012, 08:46 AM

Default update

in case anyone is wondering. this northern section of seaford near the southern state is in residential zone A. the required setback of an enclosed encroachment (screen porch) (and I am assuming an added room as well) is 15 ft from rear property line if you have a 1 story home and 25 ft if you have a 2 story home. (25 ft to property line in seaford basically means you cant build back if you have a 2 story since rear yards are usually barely this) ... I have a split level, its unclear whether its a 1 story or 2, i have to go in with plans, of course they only make appts 1 day prior, so I have to call back and speak with another 8 unhappy people and get transferred around until i found out.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:32 AM

Just to finish my last post in case anyone reads it in the future. Went to building dept. Found out that the setback is 15 ft for both one and two story homes, its the additional building you have to be concerned about. Adding a one story structure is a 15 ft setback, adding a two story structure is a 25 ft setback. Also learned that my shed needs a permit technically ... apparently all sheds do even those 6 ft crappy Rubbermaid ones -which I have ... guy said he didn't care but mentioned it. Also shed is not to code b/c it needs to be 2 ft from property line ... again he said he didnt care but when an inspector comes during the project it will probably have to be removed or moved. And found out there is a 27% Max lot coverage, meaning you can only have buildings -including shed- occupying 27% of the total plot. Finally learned that even though its only a small 10 ft covered porch , still need architect or prof engineer to do plans, contractor cant submit sketches ....

I now see why many long islanders just build things and deal with it later or rip them down later.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:22 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,460,693 times
Thanks for your posts. I know I shouldn't be surprised, but I am. I'm in Pequa and can look out my backyard and see the rear neighbors 12' high shed pretty much resting on our shared fence. And I KNOW he got permission since I can see the record on MyNassau. I can look over at my next door neighbor and their pool deck (the pool having collapsed about 2 years ago) about 1' from our shared fence. Heck, I can walk out to my own 3 season enclosed porch and measure approximately 2' from MY next door neighbor. And THEY can do the same on THEIR side for their properly permitted entrance to the mother-in-law dormer/extension they added.

I have no idea what gives with some of this stuff. It really does make you scratch your head ...

Old 04-07-2012, 10:48 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,811,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxxpower View Post
Just to finish my last post in case anyone reads it in the future. Went to building dept. Found out that the setback is 15 ft for both one and two story homes, its the additional building you have to be concerned about. Adding a one story structure is a 15 ft setback, adding a two story structure is a 25 ft setback. Also learned that my shed needs a permit technically ... apparently all sheds do even those 6 ft crappy Rubbermaid ones -which I have ... guy said he didn't care but mentioned it. Also shed is not to code b/c it needs to be 2 ft from property line ... again he said he didnt care but when an inspector comes during the project it will probably have to be removed or moved. And found out there is a 27% Max lot coverage, meaning you can only have buildings -including shed- occupying 27% of the total plot. Finally learned that even though its only a small 10 ft covered porch , still need architect or prof engineer to do plans, contractor cant submit sketches ....

I now see why many long islanders just build things and deal with it later or rip them down later.
I live upstate and we are reasonably rural but the "crowded" part of town always gets people flipping out as to why they can't have the rubbermaid shed next to the garage, etc. Those sheds are not allowed in many towns. The reason is that many people will store gas for mowers in them. As well, people like them near the house. Have you ever seen a fire eat plastic and jump to vinyl siding? Not pretty. Not safe. Even if you use the shed for just dirt and flowerpots, someone in the future may decide to use it differently.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:37 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
Thanks for your posts. I know I shouldn't be surprised, but I am. I'm in Pequa and can look out my backyard and see the rear neighbors 12' high shed pretty much resting on our shared fence. And I KNOW he got permission since I can see the record on MyNassau. I can look over at my next door neighbor and their pool deck (the pool having collapsed about 2 years ago) about 1' from our shared fence. Heck, I can walk out to my own 3 season enclosed porch and measure approximately 2' from MY next door neighbor. And THEY can do the same on THEIR side for their properly permitted entrance to the mother-in-law dormer/extension they added.

I have no idea what gives with some of this stuff. It really does make you scratch your head ...
Having the experience in the TNH, I can tell you that one day the grim reaper will come. TNH sent 5 building inspectors to jail about 3-4 years ago. Now if the town finds that you hung a picture without benefit of permit you get nailed.
I wanted to add a fence as I am fenced in on 3 sides with a chain link and wanted to do a PVC all within height requirements. Took out the permit, and waited for 8 weeks until I was informed that my central a/c was not done by permit and I had to obtain one. It is important to know that I closed 18 1/2 years ago with the a/c already there and not a peep. It cost me almost $1000 to legalize it!!!!
$200 for permit ($50 x 4 penalty)
$100 electrical inspection which I failed
$320

Had to downgrade the circuit breaker from 40 to 30 amps & put in a new disconnect as the outside housing had rusted and it had to be
done by a Nassau county licensed electrician. ( have a NYC licensed one in family and the $330 was a deal from his buddy. I called around and the job was quoted on average as $400).

$100 Electrical inspectors recheck
$200 variance because it is within the side set back and to move it would cost more.
$28.75 certified mail.
had the unit not be landscaped it would have cost me even more!!!

Old 04-08-2012, 05:07 AM

It has nothing to do with this. You can't control these types of things, your neighbor could stash an oil barrel full of kerosine next to his home, you would never know.

These issues are about two things' 1- complaining neighbors. 2-money. You can have a rubber shed, its allowed it just can be too close , but two feet v 1 ft is not much of a difference. And if you want it 29 ft tall in the center of your front yard, you might be able to get it - you can get variances for most things, ... all for the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
I live upstate and we are reasonably rural but the "crowded" part of town always gets people flipping out as to why they can't have the rubbermaid shed next to the garage, etc. Those sheds are not allowed in many towns. The reason is that many people will store gas for mowers in them. As well, people like them near the house. Have you ever seen a fire eat plastic and jump to vinyl siding? Not pretty. Not safe. Even if you use the shed for just dirt and flowerpots, someone in the future may decide to use it differently.

Old 04-08-2012, 03:20 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,460,693 times
You got it right with your comment about getting variances ... for the money. I know the guy behind us has all the proper permits. We're not complaining (not the type) and he obviously paid someone to get around it.

What's got me worried is what Nuts2uiam brought up. We, too, have central AC and I know for a fact that my elderly parents never thought to apply for a permit for that. I don't think we'd have too much trouble on its location - but the whole electrical issue just made me break out in a cold sweat.

Thanks to Pequa, I made myself familiar with MyNassau. From looking at their assessments for the area around me, I can see that our house has the LOWEST value of any of our neighbors. Like I said, they don't have the AC, they still have us as oil heat, they only have one bathroom listed. From getting along with the neighbors all these years, I KNOW that we have more updates in our home than some of the others. I only see this being a problem when my parents pass and I go to sell the place. Either I'm going to have to get a lot of paperwork together toot sweet (in order to get a bank to approve a buyer's mortgage at the correct appraisal) OR I'm going to have to sell lower and let the new owner deal with the headaches.

Oy vey!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island