Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 05:55 PM

1,386 posts, read 5,344,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Man, after reading some of these responses I just have to ask why? Why stay here and struggle the way some of you are? Do you love the beach or NYC that much? Do you know that there are places where a home can be bought for $90,000 in a crime free town with excellant schools? Im just really confused.

talk to my wife....... I tell her that frequently, then talk to our families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 09:18 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,398,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
talk to my wife....... I tell her that frequently, then talk to our families.
Someone has to go first! Then the family can see how good you're living and come too. Or at least that's how I'm trying to sell it to myself. Family is a big reason I've been here as long as I have. But I think they're coming around and if I get out and make a success of it, I think some will follow.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:17 AM

65 posts, read 196,883 times
Default Best way to find a rental home in North FOrk? Must I pay a broker fee?

Hi-
We are a young family looking to move to the North Fork, and we're looking for a rental home, but it seems everything is being presented by brokers. We're trying to avoid a broker's fee--is that possible? It seems the further you get out east, the less there is available without a broker.

Help is appreciated. We can afford about 1800 a month so if anyone has any leads we'd love to hear them.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:44 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,333,570 times
I am renting and the rent is 16% of my income.... I'm looking to buy a starter home, and I'm afraid a reasonable starter home will put me in the 35-40% range easily.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:22 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
Welcome to LI owning my friend. Just make sure you crunch the numbers before making the plunge. Dont end up another foreclosure statistic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
I am renting and the rent is 16% of my income.... I'm looking to buy a starter home, and I'm afraid a reasonable starter home will put me in the 35-40% range easily.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:27 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,333,570 times
Absolutely, thanks for the tips Roca.... that too we are a single income family, so I have to err on the side of caution....
but the other thing is that as far as the house itself is concerned.... you don't get what you pay for.... I mean for 300K you can own a brand new mansion in some places.... (I'm just venting guys !!) then some will say good schools and good neighborhood... blah blah blah....

Old 01-23-2009, 03:49 PM

4 posts, read 7,914 times
Quote:
Man, after reading some of these responses I just have to ask why? Why stay here and struggle the way some of you are? Do you love the beach or NYC that much? Do you know that there are places where a home can be bought for $90,000 in a crime free town with excellant schools? Im just really confused.
DH works for the State and his salary is $15-20K more per year than he would make at the same job in the public sector. We aren't at all wedded to staying on LI - DH is from NYC and I am from Ireland, and we have no family or friends here.

We would move in a heartbeat - we had a year up in Syracuse and I loved it, and we had a house for $750 a month. We are constantly on the look for a transfer upstate, but they come up very rarely - more so now as there is a freeze on State hiring. It's just bad luck that put us here.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:29 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
...where most jobs pay $7.25 an hour?

In all seriousness, point us to a place with $90K houses, good schools, and jobs that enable you to afford said house. A lot of people who've moved to places like NC are reporting back that the job situation is terrible.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:17 PM

67 posts, read 195,408 times
Quote:
I've asked myself this ever since driving back from vacation in FL this year. I have a great job (I mean, really great... secure, decent salary (EXCELLENT in other parts of the US), great health benefits), but I don't think I can stand living here anymore.

Unless you guys are millionaires, you must be living in western suffolk or nassau to be at 50% or less of your net. My mortgage payment alone is over 100% of my personal salary of my day job(my wife pays all other expenses), but extra side jobs in the summer make it work out reasonably well for the year as a whole.

However, I live in the Hamptons, and frankly, I don't know why I live here.
Thank god my house is worth wayyyy more than my mortgage, so I can sell here and buy a house somewhere in the real world for cash and still have money in the bank.

Basically, we've come to the conclusion that we really aren't living here. We're just existing here.

It's tough to leave the place you were born and raised.. to leave your friends and great (did I mention REALLY great) job. But frankly it's not the same place I grew up and I'm always working so I never see my friends anyway. Once I own a house I can go flip burgers. I'd rather be happy than wealthy.

Oh, did I mention all the codes, rules, permits.. Give me a break.

EDIT: I haven't been to the beach in years. Can;t bring your dog and they've basically outlawed vehicles on the beach. I cou;dn't deal with the kids of the tourists running all over my stuff and knocking my daughter over [i blame the parents, not the kids]

Last edited by StrugglinLI; 01-23-2009 at 05:22 PM.. Reason: addendum

Old 01-23-2009, 06:01 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
Sure. How about Upper St. Clair. A suburb of Pittsburgh. Travel time to center city is 30 mins WITH rush hour!! You can either drive it or take the light train rail in. The school district is rated the top 5 for Pittsburgh immediate suburbs and #27 in the STATE!

Ranking of High Schools in Pennsylvania

Housing is affordable and plentiful with taxes that you can actually afford when you retire! And people can actually buy a starter home there and live comfortably. Oh, one more thing...electric rates...7 CENTS a KW. LIPE=19 cents. Lets not even compare insurance, utilities, etc.

Houses start @ $100 K & go to 3 M. Although the lowest priced home as of right now is $115 K.

Upper St. Clair, PA, 15241 - MLS ID#751330 - Single Family Home Real Estate - REALTOR.com® (http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/Upper-St-Clair_PA_15241_1104199922 - broken link)

And for most jobs paying $7.25/hr. When I make the move I will be tranferring within the union and making $68 K. Not to shabby, eh?

If your ever over that way check it out. Its beautiful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
...where most jobs pay $7.25 an hour?

In all seriousness, point us to a place with $90K houses, good schools, and jobs that enable you to afford said house. A lot of people who've moved to places like NC are reporting back that the job situation is terrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island