Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 07:13 PM

893 posts, read 2,862,388 times

Advertisements

@ rocafella: This is my last year on Long Island most likely. My moms moving to PA in a couple of weeks and my dad lives in Queens. After I graduate from high school here I will go to college Upstate or in CT, and then prolly move to the City after that or PA with my mom. Well actually PA never, only place I can see myself living in PA is Philadelphia and maybeee Pittsburgh, not the Lehigh Valley. It's going to be tough picking where I will reside after college, but thats 4-5 years from now so I have time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 08:22 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrugglinLI View Post
I've asked myself this ever since driving back from vacation in FL this year. I have a great job (I mean, really great... secure, decent salary (EXCELLENT in other parts of the US), great health benefits), but I don't think I can stand living here anymore.

Unless you guys are millionaires, you must be living in western suffolk or nassau to be at 50% or less of your net. My mortgage payment alone is over 100% of my personal salary of my day job(my wife pays all other expenses), but extra side jobs in the summer make it work out reasonably well for the year as a whole.

However, I live in the Hamptons, and frankly, I don't know why I live here.
Thank god my house is worth wayyyy more than my mortgage, so I can sell here and buy a house somewhere in the real world for cash and still have money in the bank.

Basically, we've come to the conclusion that we really aren't living here. We're just existing here.

It's tough to leave the place you were born and raised.. to leave your friends and great (did I mention REALLY great) job. But frankly it's not the same place I grew up and I'm always working so I never see my friends anyway. Once I own a house I can go flip burgers. I'd rather be happy than wealthy.

Oh, did I mention all the codes, rules, permits.. Give me a break.

EDIT: I haven't been to the beach in years. Can;t bring your dog and they've basically outlawed vehicles on the beach. I cou;dn't deal with the kids of the tourists running all over my stuff and knocking my daughter over [i blame the parents, not the kids]

The only reason our housing cost is so low is that we own a condo.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:21 PM

142 posts, read 481,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
If you do not see your income increasing in the future I would seriously start looking into moving. Not having children due to money is terrible. Everyone should have the blessing! Maybe you can start to save little by little for a down payment on a home outside LI?

Good luck.

Oh yes - we are saving - and have seriously considered moving once we have enough put aside.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:18 PM

175 posts, read 657,248 times
I'm right around 50%. Like the OP, I traded up a few years ago expecting the real estate market to at least maintain and my job situation to at least maintain and neither has happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island