Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Insurance companies: raising rates, scientific fact, minor hurricanes, gasoline lamps, debris

Old 09-15-2007, 08:14 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,018,419 times

Advertisements

Umm.. hello!! Insurance companies are justifying raising insurance rates because "we're due for a hurricane!!".. what.. that's like when they say a safe drive who's never had an accident is "due to have an accident" so lets cancle him/her or raise their rate!

Where's the scientific fact to prove this.. do you see a hurricane headed our way right now!!! It's absolutley RIDICULOUS!! and I can't believe that it's even being allowed.

That's like saying "I'm due to win the lottery!!!" doesn't mean I'm going too!!

ALL INSURANCE COMPANIES ARE EVIL!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 03:59 PM

9 posts, read 21,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Umm.. hello!! Insurance companies are justifying raising insurance rates because "we're due for a hurricane!!".. what.. that's like when they say a safe drive who's never had an accident is "due to have an accident" so lets cancle him/her or raise their rate!

Where's the scientific fact to prove this.. do you see a hurricane headed our way right now!!! It's absolutley RIDICULOUS!! and I can't believe that it's even being allowed.

Well, hate to admit it, but you guys are way overdue!!! And, if it were to happen, Long Island couldn't take a hit like it got back in 1938, with all the building that has gone on since then. I live in Florida and had to evacuate three times back in 2004. The cleanup was horrendous, and many homes in our area took pretty good hits even though they are built to withstand minor hurricanes. NY doesn't build to those specifications, and even your older houses would be demolished.

Old 09-15-2007, 04:04 PM
Status: " living in beautiful Charleston South Carolina" (set 1 day ago)

8,819 posts, read 21,298,349 times
We used to have 2 or 3 hurricanes every summer in the liate fifties and early sixties. To us kids , it was fun, gasoline lamps and cooking out and all. But, they did do a lot of damage and it was fun going to the beach to find all the debris and flotsam (is that the right word?) that had washed up on the shore.

Old 09-15-2007, 04:21 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,018,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaCityGirl View Post
Well, hate to admit it, but you guys are way overdue!!! And, if it were to happen, Long Island couldn't take a hit like it got back in 1938, with all the building that has gone on since then. I live in Florida and had to evacuate three times back in 2004. The cleanup was horrendous, and many homes in our area took pretty good hits even though they are built to withstand minor hurricanes. NY doesn't build to those specifications, and even your older houses would be demolished.

where is the scientific proof that we're due!! NONE.. maybe we havne't gotten one because they rarely get up here this far with much power behind them. Last one we had that had any signifigance was hurricane Gloria!! that was in the 80's and all the houses around me stood up just fine.
And..how about all those years we were paying for hurricane insurance and NEVER had to use it!

What they are proposing is just absurd and just another way to line their fat pockets.

Old 09-15-2007, 05:44 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,411,434 times
Quote:
where is the scientific proof that we're due!! NONE.. maybe we havne't gotten one because they rarely get up here this far with much power behind them. Last one we had that had any signifigance was hurricane Gloria!! that was in the 80's and all the houses around me stood up just fine.
And..how about all those years we were paying for hurricane insurance and NEVER had to use it!

What they are proposing is just absurd and just another way to line their fat pockets.
Gloria was nothing, so don't base your hurricane experiences on that.

Old 09-15-2007, 06:02 PM

939 posts, read 1,846,486 times
The experts are basing their predictions on the increased hurricane activity seen in this part of the world since 1995. We're in a period where we can expect to see more hurricanes and more intense hurricanes.

A Category 3 hurricane (which we haven't seen decades) will devastate Long Island. More than a half million people are in the flood zones on Long Island and many will have no homes to go back to.

If anyone thinks that Gloria in 1985 was the big one, they are sadly mistaken. That was a marginal Cat 2 when it came ashore. A Cat 3 or better (like the 1938 Long Island Express) will leave a trail of destruction and death that'll make New Orleans look like a picnic. And all the climatic conditions point toward us getting blasted sometime in the near future.

Make your preparations now. We still have a month to go in hurricane season and September is traditionally our busiest month. There are no plans to evacuate Long Island (it's not possible), but those living south of Sunrise Highway in both counties had better have plans to relocate somewhere else on the Island.

Old 09-15-2007, 06:04 PM

242 posts, read 1,214,100 times
While there does sure seem to be changing weather patterns the last few years and possibly the likelihood of hurricanes here in the near future ... my guess is the insurance companies are using this to try to make up for their significant losses in places like Fl, LA and TX over the last few years. Anyways, guess the overall feeling of us working LI'ers is this is just another in a long line of ever increasing costs, which is probably what was really behind this post. Not to change the topic, but this winter also probably will mean horendous oil heating costs for the majority of us LI'ers, continuing LIPA increases and service charges as Oil prices continue to increase, etc., etc. This is what's making many folks (Including myself) think its time to leave. Granted there is no utopia to be found anywhere, but there are many places where those of us not financially secure can have a shot at some type of legitimate retirement and less stress on a daily basis !

Old 09-15-2007, 06:18 PM

563 posts, read 2,571,680 times
I agree its BS that the insurance companies should not be raising rates for the reasons mentioned but they can do it and will do it. Why? Because they are in the position to do it. Its like this week, bank of america decided it was going to raise fees on all of its ATMS for non BoA users from 2 bucks to 3 bucks. Why? Because they can. ALthough they say it is to ensure quality service to their customers, blah blah. I dont care b/c I am BoA customer but still sucks for those who are not and get stuck having to use an ATM not from their bank. Wouldnt surprise me of all the other banks follow suit in some way. Companies can get away with this crap.

As for hurricanes, Gloria was not that bad but that didnt stop us from not having the power go out. Took a then LILCO almost 7 days to get us going again. Down here in FL, my first month here, perfect timing for 3 or 4 (cant remember) hurricanes to come across the state. Those were more powerful than Gloria and houses here are made to withstand hurricanes better than LI. Lost power here for 2 days. Other sides of town were out a week. If a storm like Charley or Francis or whatever came here in 2004 made its way to LI, I think ther would be problems. They were stronger. Just my opinion, but if you search google, I am sure you can find all sorts of Doomsday scenarios for what the water levels could do to the area.

I agree the chances of a storm powerful enough to do that is low, but its still probability--odds can be beat.

Better safe than sorry I guess.

Old 09-15-2007, 06:26 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,497,027 times
Quote:

insurance companies own most of the real estate in london. the people just work and work for a bunch of rent receipts. ugly.
i am not sure insurance companies are evil. but sometimes it looks like a pretty good imitation.
i also understand they were very slow in paying in biloxi.
not good.
public image seems less of a concern that it used to?
stephen s
san diego ca
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island