Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 11:56 AM

674 posts, read 1,156,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Ok, I think you mean lawn MOWER. .
sorry for the typo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 12:05 PM

863 posts, read 2,109,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Says who? My husband and I both work Mon-Fri and have a young child who is involved in activities. We both also have large families so there's always something going on. Long Islanders are NOT lazy. There are families on my block with older kids and they mow their own lawn. There are also people who have disabilities or very bad backs and can't do the work themselves.

Bellakin i hear you fully. I have to plan when i am doing the yard because we both work and have 3 young ones with one in activities so time is valuable here but i get it done. Don't blame anyone for not doing it though.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:09 PM

57,378 posts, read 26,294,968 times
I would recommend the Toro also, they have a mulching models that work real well if you don't like bagging. I did not like the Craftsman either.
You can go to your library and ask for the consumer reports, they have independent ratings on all the mowers

Change the oil change and filter at least once per season.

Always surprises me the people that indicate they don't have time for mowing but can watch sports on TV for hours. Mowing is simple to do and good exercise.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:14 PM

371 posts, read 939,070 times
Toro has a "Personal Pace" lawn mower that goes at the pace YOU want to walk...My 80 y/o Mom cuts the back lawn with it because she likes to because of that feature...Well that and the electric start...lol It rear bags or mulches too...

Old 04-17-2012, 12:17 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,248,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbrooklyn View Post
Bellakin i hear you fully. I have to plan when i am doing the yard because we both work and have 3 young ones with one in activities so time is valuable here but i get it done. Don't blame anyone for not doing it though.
I hear ya nycbrooklyn. I just don't like people generalizing and/or assuming that Long Islanders or people who live anywhere else are lazy and that's why they get a landscaper. Quite frankly, I'd rather pay someone to come do it so I have time to tend to the other chores that need to be done.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:36 PM

20 posts, read 73,557 times
I recently upgraded my hand me down Craftsman push mower for a Husqvarna self propelled front wheel drive mower from Sears. The guy from Sears said that the Craftsman models come back in constantly but he rarely sees the Husqvarna come back in. I have used it 3x so far and love it compared to the old mower. It is much quieter, picks up more debris, and doesnt propel dust and clippings into my face like the old mower.

I'm young and have a smaller yard to effort/time isnt much of a factor but I can say that I probably trimmed off a 1/2 hour or more when comparing to the old mower. I attribute this to the self propelled model and the fact that this mower does a better job at chopping down the clippings so that I have to empty less. I also have a Craftsman line trimmer with the convertible attachments (line trimmer, edger, etc). My system is pretty simple - go around the yard with the line trimmer first, then switch it out for the edger attachment and do that, then mow the lawn and pick up the mess from the prior to activities while doing so. I have it down to an hour max.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:49 PM

6,385 posts, read 13,171,725 times
Come back and say that when you have kids. Unless you have kids and they sit in front of the tv playing video games all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
Nobody is to busy to mow their own lawn. Perhaps to old. Long Islanders are extremely lazy. Make sure you get the right size for your land. Toro as mentioned is a durable brand.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:19 PM

8,700 posts, read 11,098,417 times
OP didn't mention how much land we are talking about & if there is incline on the land. It makes a difference. For $30, you have to be clear what it includes (just the mowing, fertilizers, trimming, etc)

Believe it or not, I had a gasoline Craftsman for over 27 yrs and finally got a new Husqvarna last week. The Craftsman is still running strong & left it at my parents place.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:21 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,717,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
OP didn't mention how much land we are talking about & if there is incline on the land. It makes a difference. For $30, you have to be clear what it includes (just the mowing, fertilizers, trimming, etc)

Believe it or not, I had a gasoline Craftsman for over 27 yrs and finally got a new Husqvarna last week. The Craftsman is still running strong & left it at my parents place.
Thats an old Craftsman. The new ones are pieces of ... garbage.... cant use another word for it. My current Craftsman is 4 years old and has been in the shop 6 times. (thank god for repair contracts)

Old 04-17-2012, 01:24 PM

20,951 posts, read 28,472,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
Nobody is to busy to mow their own lawn. Perhaps to old. Long Islanders are extremely lazy. Make sure you get the right size for your land. Toro as mentioned is a durable brand.
Not all LIer's are lazy. My husband had a bad back with hernisted discs plus our front lawn is not flat either. We both work, he works 6 days a week and does not want to do the lawn on his day off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island