Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 06:12 PM

376 posts, read 1,016,861 times

Advertisements

With crime on a rise and crimes getting caught on camera , I think it is time for me to install one at home but WHAT TO BUY ?? I am looking to DIY but need some recommendation of some brands with Infared night vision and where to buy...I will be hooking this up to my home computer ..any help please ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 05:35 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,689,173 times
Can't blame you one bit.I will also be waiting for any info that gets posted here.I see Harbor Freight sells an inexpensive driveway alarm I wonder if they are any good?They now have a retail store in Hempstead.Perhaps a read of "consumer report" would be a good start.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:19 AM

51 posts, read 115,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar1458 View Post
With crime on a rise and crimes getting caught on camera , I think it is time for me to install one at home but WHAT TO BUY ?? I am looking to DIY but need some recommendation of some brands with Infared night vision and where to buy...I will be hooking this up to my home computer ..any help please ..
I have night owl - lion 4500's. they are 4 wired cameras hooked up to a dvr. best thing i ever bought and weren't even that difficult to set up.

tigerdirect had the set reasonably priced. I can get my house on my computer anytime, and smartphone anywhere i am in the world.

well worth the purchase.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:33 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,272,092 times
You might want to check the law. Are you allowed to just go out and buy and install cameras around the property? Or do they have to be registered with the police?

Also, what are the laws governing where you can point your cameras? There will be privacy issues if you aim them into your neighbor's back yard.

Also, are you a renter? If you are, you may not be able to post them. I believe only the property owners can post cameras.

I'd be interested in hearing what you learn. Although I live in a high-end, gated apartment complex, one of my new neighbors has a camera in their front window and it's ticking everyone else off. They're probably paranoid about people breaking into their cars or something, but in a small, tight community, they're only incurring the dislike of those around them.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:12 PM

22,671 posts, read 36,810,996 times
^^^ My neighbor in GC had security cameras, and the cops didn't have any issue with it. How do I know? Despite the cameras (which were obvious) she woke up one night to find a bunch of teens partying in her yard. When she went out side and told them she had them on tape and was calling the cops if they didn't leave, they said "go ahead". And then they stuck around till the cops made them leave.

Such lovely children.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:38 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,521,429 times
Cameras, bleh. She should have walked out with an AR-15. That's how you get things done.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:23 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,272,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
^^^ My neighbor in GC had security cameras, and the cops didn't have any issue with it. How do I know? Despite the cameras (which were obvious) she woke up one night to find a bunch of teens partying in her yard. When she went out side and told them she had them on tape and was calling the cops if they didn't leave, they said "go ahead". And then they stuck around till the cops made them leave.

Such lovely children.

I believe in Suffolk the cameras have to be registered with the police. I could be mistaken, but that's my understanding of it.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:25 PM

376 posts, read 1,016,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
You might want to check the law. Are you allowed to just go out and buy and install cameras around the property? Or do they have to be registered with the police?

Also, what are the laws governing where you can point your cameras? There will be privacy issues if you aim them into your neighbor's back yard.

Also, are you a renter? If you are, you may not be able to post them. I believe only the property owners can post cameras.

I'd be interested in hearing what you learn. Although I live in a high-end, gated apartment complex, one of my new neighbors has a camera in their front window and it's ticking everyone else off. They're probably paranoid about people breaking into their cars or something, but in a small, tight community, they're only incurring the dislike of those around them.
there are no laws in nassau county that you have to register camera's ....I found that CCTV are good camera's but a little pricey , trying to find a deal but I have been slacking on my search ....

Old 06-17-2011, 08:57 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
Can't blame you one bit.I will also be waiting for any info that gets posted here.I see Harbor Freight sells an inexpensive driveway alarm I wonder if they are any good?They now have a retail store in Hempstead.Perhaps a read of "consumer report" would be a good start.
Harbor freight is garbage and all chinese made. My husband has bought tools from them and they are garbage. I suggest calling a security company that installs them and ask them for advice.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:04 PM

863 posts, read 2,108,432 times
Trying to revive this again. Just want to know if anyone has experience with the systems sold at BJ's and Costco or if not they can suggest something else that would work. We are trying to cover the inside of the house along with outside. I believe an 8cam system would work for our purposes but have not idea which direction to go in because of the amount of info available out there.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island