Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 10:05 PM

71 posts, read 190,402 times

Advertisements

I had a water filter installed to filter water coming from the main line before it goes anywhere in my home. Within 2 weeks the thing is the DARKEST BROWN almost black. SCWA came out to test the water. They disconnected filter and ran water really hard for over 10 minutes before taking a sample. As you'd expect, the test results came back that all is normal. I live close to a water pumping station so that could explain the problem with my water. But still, how do I know this is really normal?

Has anyone else installed water filters and what kind? The one that I have will start slowing down water pressure in my house after 3 weeks and as soon as new filter is put in, water pressure is good again.

Also can anyone recommend a private lab that might test my filters to see what exactly they contain. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 05:42 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,782 times
Im curious to find out, too. Please share results.

What part of Suffolk are you in?

Old 04-26-2012, 05:47 AM

376 posts, read 1,016,743 times
I live in nassau and the water company is AQUA , I do have the GE whole house filter and I change my filter about every 3-4 months ...the color of my dirty filter is a orange rust color which is from the pipes not the ground supply . I was told it is normal but without the filter my sink,toilet,bathtub etc. always had a orange type residue which drove me nuts is why I added the filter. I also had sediment in the bottom of the filter housing when I changed it . I was not concern with pollution but quality and clarity . I hope this helps ....

Old 04-26-2012, 06:10 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
There is a good probability that the "orange" you report is a high iron content in the water. Depending on the filtration type this may react causing the "black" color use observed in the filters. I know from experience this will occure when chlorine mixes with iron rich water. Our irrigation well would turn the drive/walkways orangy if we were not carefull. With the filter clogging and slowing down the water after 3 weeks perhaps some sort of pre-filter (maybe sand) before might help?

Old 04-26-2012, 07:43 AM

71 posts, read 190,402 times
Does anyone know of a lab that might run an assay on my filters? I'd like to find out what they charge to do it.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:22 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
And this is why I dont drink tap water. Call me crazy...

Old 04-26-2012, 09:29 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,237,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
And this is why I dont drink tap water. Call me crazy...
Neither do I. Bottled water isn't all that expensive unless you're buying fancy, foo-foo water like Voss or something. I made the mistake of making ice with tap water and put it in a pitcher of bottled water. I just buy bagged ice now.

Is having the whole house filtered worth it or would only doing the kitchen help? Unless there's water issues with the shower?

Old 04-26-2012, 09:40 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
A whole house filter was on my to do list. Gonna do it when I get some free time.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:47 AM

376 posts, read 1,016,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Neither do I. Bottled water isn't all that expensive unless you're buying fancy, foo-foo water like Voss or something. I made the mistake of making ice with tap water and put it in a pitcher of bottled water. I just buy bagged ice now.

Is having the whole house filtered worth it or would only doing the kitchen help? Unless there's water issues with the shower?
yes it is worth it, there are three types of filters . the best is charcoal filter , second is a very fine sediment filter and the third is a flimsy paper type filter . I use the second one and buy bulk on line ...

Old 04-26-2012, 12:34 PM

63 posts, read 169,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar1458 View Post
yes it is worth it, there are three types of filters . the best is charcoal filter , second is a very fine sediment filter and the third is a flimsy paper type filter . I use the second one and buy bulk on line ...
What brand is it? I might look into this? Is it hard to install?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island