Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 01:34 PM

13,057 posts, read 18,125,715 times

Advertisements

I noticed the past few weeks several of my neighbors and I have lost our impatiens this year. I thought it was possibly root damage from the heat. NO, it is downy mildew and it is very serious. There was an article in Newsday gardening this past Sunday about it but I don't think I am allowed to link it. So here is another link on it.
Gardening and Gardens: Impatiens destroyed by Downy Mildew
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 01:44 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,240,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I noticed the past few weeks several of my neighbors and I have lost our impatiens this year. I thought it was possibly root damage from the heat. NO, it is downy mildew and it is very serious. There was an article in Newsday gardening this past Sunday about it but I don't think I am allowed to link it. So here is another link on it.
Gardening and Gardens: Impatiens destroyed by Downy Mildew
My landscaper just included an insert in my bill about this. I noticed at the beginning of the summer that several of my impatiens that I planted in the flowerbed in the front yard died or disappeared. I blamed the landscaper's guys thinking they mowed over them or raked them out. Then I noticed the ones in my backyard that are planted in the ground and in pots suddenly changed. None of my flowers did well this year. Gladiolas barely bloomed and then died. I had 2 stargazer lilies in one pot--one bloomed with only 2 flowers and shortly after they just died. The other plant only grew leaves but no blooms. I also have over a dozen Tropical Dwarf Canna Lily plants. Some of them stopped growing. Some grew but no flowers bloomed. Some grew and bloomed. Now I'm wondering if I should winterize all those bulbs.

And forget the basil and tomatoes!

Old 09-11-2012, 01:54 PM

245 posts, read 495,767 times
I bought 8 flats and maybe 2 are still alive. I have to bag and throw out about 10 hanging baskets, I use to keep and replant every year. The article said that the island may not have Impatients for a few years to come.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:57 PM

465 posts, read 1,710,920 times
Thanks for the link, mine look just like the pics, going to get rid of them ASAP as the article says.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:46 PM

414 posts, read 808,976 times
Wow we had a bunch of flowers die this summer, mostly hanging baskets. I am not sure what kind of flowers they are, would have to ask my wife, but they usually last well into December. We do have one basket, that oddly enough looks like it could be impatients, that is thriving!

Old 09-11-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarag View Post
I bought 8 flats and maybe 2 are still alive. I have to bag and throw out about 10 hanging baskets, I use to keep and replant every year. The article said that the island may not have Impatients for a few years to come.

You can keep the posts just wash out with bleach and soap solution. I do that every year, since I have the white pots that green up on the soil edge!!!

Old 09-11-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
My landscaper just included an insert in my bill about this. I noticed at the beginning of the summer that several of my impatiens that I planted in the flowerbed in the front yard died or disappeared. I blamed the landscaper's guys thinking they mowed over them or raked them out. Then I noticed the ones in my backyard that are planted in the ground and in pots suddenly changed. None of my flowers did well this year. Gladiolas barely bloomed and then died. I had 2 stargazer lilies in one pot--one bloomed with only 2 flowers and shortly after they just died. The other plant only grew leaves but no blooms. I also have over a dozen Tropical Dwarf Canna Lily plants. Some of them stopped growing. Some grew but no flowers bloomed. Some grew and bloomed. Now I'm wondering if I should winterize all those bulbs.

And forget the basil and tomatoes!
Ditto here. My stargazer was a single flower but miniature, more like a long stem rose bud. I don't think they have mildew just heat stress. My lawn looks like crap with a new species of week arriving daily. I have tiny yellow wildflowers in the lawn, in addition to crab grass, nut grass, and another new addition to the fold some kind of waxy clover!!! I gave up this year. I don't think my Gardner has however, I still get his bill but t is not his fault everybody is in the same boat. I am hoping for a cold winter.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:09 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,240,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Ditto here. My stargazer was a single flower but miniature, more like a long stem rose bud. I don't think they have mildew just heat stress. My lawn looks like crap with a new species of week arriving daily. I have tiny yellow wildflowers in the lawn, in addition to crab grass, nut grass, and another new addition to the fold some kind of waxy clover!!! I gave up this year. I don't think my Gardner has however, I still get his bill but t is not his fault everybody is in the same boat. I am hoping for a cold winter.

Yes, I think the heat affected my other plants. I was so disappointed with the impatiens though. I have a wide flowerbed in the front yard so I planted at least 6 flats just in the front but thankfully nothing else in the front was affected. I have zoyzia (sp?) grass which loves heat. I don't get many weeds though. My landscaper did 3 treatments of pesticides and weed control. I have to say, as much as I DIDN'T water, the lawn looks pretty decent. Now if only the dog would stop trying to dig!

Old 09-11-2012, 05:55 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,404,454 times
I had to dispose of my impatiens in July. it's only certain species of impatiens. I don't believe double impatiens or new guinea impatiens were effected.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:09 PM
LIR

77 posts, read 295,293 times
Sadly, any flowerbeds that had these affected impatiens this year cannot be used for impatiens for several more years, as the literature says the the spores will remain in the soil even if we have a cold winter this year. So even if nurseries sell impatiens next spring, you can't plant them where you had impatiens this year. The hanging baskets should be fine as long as you use new soil. It will be frustrating to find other species of flowers that are as easy to grow with as abundant of blooms for a long season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island